Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 177625 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition
Extract zoom_config.cfg, than make data -> scripts folders in your SG2017 folder. Put etracted file here, and change whatever you want. SG uses D key for zoom by default.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Mhh.. in mission 8 "Ambushers from the shadow" there are two achivements.

Actually i am asking if it is possible to get the first one and also the keep the Meleager beams intact?  :confused:
I am only able to get it, if i am waiting for the Infiltrators at their entry point and blast them out before their missiles knock out the main beams.

Actually i was never able to keep the Meleager beams intact, because the Infiltrator are starting their fire even before their warp effect disappeared.
Should the player not have a few additional seconds to destroy them before they start to fire?

So there is a strategy to get the Achivement, but not to keep the beams intact in the same time. So that feels more like a exploit for me.

Ah btw... what i kind of dislike in this campaign is, that there seems to be a mission specific arrival message for most of the enemies in the missions... but that is always played simultaneously with the general voiced arrival messages from FS2... that is very weird, because it is also a matter of luck which of the two arrival messages is shown in the center of the HUD...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:14:05 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Hey Nyctaeus... did you know that it is possible to save the Neya on "Burning Skies over Aeon XII"?

Only cap ship I lost in this mission was the Aephea.  :D
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hey Nyctaeus... did you know that it is possible to save the Neya on "Burning Skies over Aeon XII"?

Only cap ship I lost in this mission was the Aephea.  :D
It should not be. Sexp-wise, Neya is self-destructing in this mission. Without her being destroyed, you would be unable to continue the campaign o___O
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Well I was able to continue all the way to the destruction of Hiven and achieve 32/32 of the goals. I'm just going to do the final part this evening.

What I did was to assign all fighters to protect the Neya, apart from Gamma (who I assigned the Aephea) and Alpha who I stuck on the Duke.

They key part was when the three Darkhorns arrived. I told Alpha to disarm one, Nighthound Alpha another and Nighthound Beta the third. I took out the main beams on all three destroyers. My load out for this mission was HyPacs in the Vampire's dual bank and the Excalibur in the Vampire's quad bank. All my secondaries were Penetrator IIs. Don't know if any of this will help...

Even though I saved the Neya, the debrief still read like it had been destroyed and the game continued as normal.
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Redox

Extract zoom_config.cfg, than make data -> scripts folders in your SG2017 folder. Put etracted file here, and change whatever you want. SG uses D key for zoom by default.

I extracted the config file from the SG2017_Core.vp file and did what you said, but it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:48:23 am by Redox »

Offline CT27

Actually i am asking if it is possible to get the first one and also the keep the Meleager beams intact?  :confused:
I am only able to get it, if i am waiting for the Infiltrators at their entry point and blast them out before their missiles knock out the main beams.

Actually i was never able to keep the Meleager beams intact, because the Infiltrator are starting their fire even before their warp effect disappeared.
Should the player not have a few additional seconds to destroy them before they start to fire?

So there is a strategy to get the Achivement, but not to keep the beams intact in the same time. So that feels more like a exploit for me.

Ah btw... what i kind of dislike in this campaign is, that there seems to be a mission specific arrival message for most of the enemies in the missions... but that is always played simultaneously with the general voiced arrival messages from FS2... that is very weird, because it is also a matter of luck which of the two arrival messages is shown in the center of the HUD...

Nyctaeus, I would echo the first part of this post.  I was barely able to get the achievement by being in the exact right place and able to take down that wing.  However, is it actually possible to save the Meleager's beams?

Offline SL1

I'm having a hell of a time trying to use Penetrator missiles effectively. Most of the time they either don't hit the target or hit it dead-on and do either no damage or very little damage. Maybe 10% of the time, they do what I presume they're supposed to do. They also appear to have almost no maneuverability. If I launch when I'm pointed straight at the main beam of one of those frigates that looks like a Zerg Guardian and it makes even a minor turn while the missiles are in flight, they'll miss the beam completely. There's not much point to giving the missile a really long range if it can't compensate for even minor movements of slow-moving targets. It's making things really frustrating. I think I'm near the end of the campaign, and it seems like just about all of these missions depend on me being able to take out beam cannons from extreme range with Penetrators, which means it's practically dumb luck whether or not I can win.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
This can actually be adjusted (not fix) in the weapons tbm or tbl

My Widowmaker missiles can destroy a fast moving Dragon fighter at 6 kilometers with 95% accuracy.

Unless this was intended as an added game difficulty factor. A challenge.

Offline CT27

Nyctaeus gave me permission to post this text from a PM he sent me.  Basically SG was planned to be four releases but he doesn't want to do SG anymore (I hope that means there's more of a chance for Exile 2/3 someday :) ).  Anyways, there won't be anymore SG releases...but here's what he said the plot of the unreleased future three chapters would be:

"SG2: The Silent Eyes was supposed to tell the story of Mariposa Cell - Other cell of Cerberus Legacy [Ovadiah's Cell is named Fulcrum Cell in SG2]. We operate from sistership of Argus - The Auriga, and we fight zods. 15-ish mission act was supposed to tell the story of our SOc operative and our partner under supervision of Snipes. We do lots of stuff to mess up in GTVA command structures only to open another Shivan Gate beyond Altair and open the path for Shivan Armada... And Bosch. Cerberus has three heads. First is Ovadiah, Second is rogue Admiral of Argus - Anya d'Angouleme, third is so called Phantom - Bosch himself, communicating with Cerberus inside GTVA space with ETAK.

Cerberus' plan was reaching Shivans' ancient enemies - the Nightmares. First they wanted to unleash Shivan upon GTVA space to cripple them, than wanted to use Nightmares to defeat shivans, and finally gain control over terran and vasudan systems with Nightmare fleet under their control. Ovadiah has his own agenda. He gained control over remaining Nightmares forces [Adraelon's Fleet. About 1/4 of his fleet was shown in Shadow Genesis]. Ovadiah wanted to defeat the Shivans, GTVA and Bosch too. He wanted to be the one ultiamtely in charge.

Nightmares are not just Ancients in the bodies of organic warships. Ancient Nightmates are in war with Shivans from millions of years. This part is the same as Aldo's original plot. In fact, Ancient Nightmares taught Ancients how to create ship-bodies for them.

SG3 was supposed to be about Herschel Supremacy and dual point of view campaign. As Miles, we open Shivan Gate in Spica to reach the My'Av - The Great Mother and Hiven-class juggernaut. We convince her to aid us, crush Ovadiah and his controlled Nightmares. Third Hiven - Neario'us [known as The Great Sage] also decided to fight on our side. Second point of view was Grizzly and HS incursion against Shivans in GTVA space by artifical subspace node in Spica. Eventually GTVA almost lost, but HS and My'Av and Neario'us' Nightmares turned the tide, defeated Bosch and pushed shivans back to their space.

SG4 was supposed to be GTVA and Nightmare's incursion on Shivantown [network of installations orbiting Sagittarius A*]. I don't have anything more than that."

Would SG have the Shivans being defeated at the end? Any details on le grande finale?

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
SG was awesome. It's sad that it's over, but this was a good read that provided closure. I have one question though.

Who did that mystery ship discovered beyond Spica belong to?

Silent Eyes was supposed to be in fact a huge interlude, a story that would fill in the missing parts in SG1's storyline, deepen Cerberus as an organization as well as the post-Capella GTVA. Our protagonist (I can't remember his name) is an SOC operative who defects and joins Cerberus while in secret he remains loyal to the GTVA. He wears an organic chip within his brain that would use quantum entanglement to undetectably report his progress to his direct superior - Captain Snipes. Our hero gets promoted higher and higher within Cerberus ranks to find out the organization's plan, why they cut off the Wolf's Group and most importantly - to locate the third Cerberus leader, the Phantom. In our missions for Cerberus we would meet numerous groups of interests, mercenary groups, gangs and our old friend dr Mina Hargroove who now owns a large corporation and cooperates with Cerberus. Our main antagonist would be Admiral Sain - a ruthless GTVA commander known from the SG1 prolog who now leads his own crusade against Cerberus for killing his son, colliding with SOC plans to infiltrate the organization.

Piece by piece we uncover what's going on in Cerberus - about the mysterious species they planned to use both to overtake the GTVA and defeat the Shivans. Kaimler Ovadiah was responsible for finding the Nightmares and waiting until Phantom finds the Shivans, but he betrayed the rest of Cerberus by cutting off the Wolf's Group. Phantom (Bosch) was also playing his own game - he wasn't going to defeat the Shivans using the Nightmares, but to open the way for his return to the GTVA and use ETAK to form his beloved Terran-Shivan alliance.

Final missions take place in new Vasudan colonies beyond Altair where we locate the second Shivan Gate. We fight Vasudan colonial militias, mercenaries and later GTVA reinforcements too. When Phantom's ship (at this moment we still think he is on board) finally shows up to open the portal, we reveal ourselves and together with SOC we try to capture him, but we are betrayed by one of ours, SOC forces are defeated and Cerberus opens the Shivan Gate, Shivans start pouring into GTVA space. In final mission we join forces with GTVA reinforcements and attempt to re-capture and close the portal (Andante-style) but we fail and Shivan invasion begins.

Later, in SG3, as Grizzly we join forces with Snipes and our Silent Eyes' protagonist and attempt to capture Phantom once again - he is then revealed to be Bosch and that we was not in the GTVA before the Shivan invasion and all our attempts from Silent Eyes were for nothing.

Who did that mystery ship discovered beyond Spica belong to?
It was a destroyer of Glantedoross Enclave, a post-Terran faction formed by Capellan refugees who found the Nightmares earlier. They were somehow altered by the Nightmares too, but I can't remember the details. Anyway when Adrealon was destroyed by the Wolf's Fleet and Ovadiah took over the Nightmare armada, the Enclave went into hiding. As Miles we return to Nightmare space with SOC task force and attempt to wake up the other Hivens who would take the armada back from Ovadiah's control and help us fight the Shivans. Glantedoross reveals themselves then and helps us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:42:37 am by Macielos »

Would SG have the Shivans being defeated at the end? Any details on le grande finale?

And: was Glantedoross play a significant role in the other parts of the story?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

And: was Glantedoross play a significant role in the other parts of the story?
They fight Ovadiah's Nightmares in Act III, and contributed to eventual alliance between Herschel Supremacy and non-Andraelon Nightmare forces.

So the main part of the story would've been over after SG III and IV with "attacking Shivan homeworld" was more of a bonus than a chapter needed to bring the plot to a conclusion?

Probably yes. Perhaps we could have even joined it with episode 3 and make SG a trylogy. It depends how much we'd want to explore Shivantown and Bosch's story.

So Bosch took the bus to Shivantown? :D

Does he have any power over the Shivans besides being some sort of ambassador, making it possible to negotiate with the bugs, or does GTVNA (I really like this name!) wipe them out?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter

Nyctaeus, I would echo the first part of this post.  I was barely able to get the achievement by being in the exact right place and able to take down that wing.  However, is it actually possible to save the Meleager's beams?

Well, would like to get an answer to this question finally... because i never finished this campaign due to this.  :D
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iido

Sounds like the story would have gotten pretty crazy later on. I thought the Nightmares were just Ancients transformed, interesting that the Nightmares themselves were an even older race that approached the Ancients and transformed them.

Well, I'm glad we got closure on the plot, at least. I wonder what that Terran/Nightmare alliance would have looked like. I think the Shivans might have actually felt fear for once. :P