American
7 (35%)
British
8 (40%)
Makes little difference
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 25, 2005, 01:21:30 pm

Author Topic: Which variety of English should we use?  (Read 6903 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Which variety of English should we use?
I am just wondering. In the Star Wars Wiki, there is a rule to use American English (which I usually ignore :p). I think we should have an agreement on this, because I edited Black Wolf's manoevrability to maneuverability and he changed it back. What you need to know is that Australian English basically demands British orthography, so BW was correct on it, in a way. I know that I had been using British spelling and punctuation so far and many of you know American English better. So I think we should write in American English to make it the easiest for most of you and keep things in order. I am quite capable of checking spelling and punctuation, since this is what I study at University.

Any comments?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nuclear1

Re: Which variety of English should we use?
I don't think it really matters. It depends entirely on the writer, and there really aren't that many differences. The maneuverability spelling is really the most drastic, but colour is really only one letter longer than color.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Again, I'm very much against a) too many rules and b) trying to derive anything for this Wiki from the Star Wars wiki.  They are two different animals.  I personally don't think it matters much, but more people know how to write in "American" english than know how to correctly use "British" english so, like the internet, American should be the defacto standard at least.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If there is a rule then American English should be used, as it's the internet standard and FS2 itself uses it, but it shouldn't be a big deal to have both used for different articles.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
how about do something as follows:

cent-er/re
hono(u)r
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I speak only English and bad English, and I'm not very good at either of them.

Let's just avoid broken English, and the world will be a better place.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

cent-er/re
hono(u)r

You're joking...right? :nervous:

I say, use the American spelling for Maneuverability, everything else can be whatever. Although keep in mind that Americans tend to be less aware of the British spelling of words than vice versa. :p
-C

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Just keep it consistent within a given article.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Best solution. :nod:

Whoever creates (or heavily rewrites) an article is going to write it in his particular dialect of English.  So let's just say that whoever creates an article determines the spelling it will use.

Offline Nuclear1

British English really isn't that different to tell apart from American English anyways. Slang is really where it gets tricky, so as long as we don't have any articles describing the Aeshma as minging or the Colossus' captain as a wanker than I think we have ourselves a winner.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Exactly. I'm going to use British english anyway, and TBH I'd prefer peole didn't edit my articles to change it to American or whatever. That said, as long as spelling is consistent within articles, I'm not fussed if others use American.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...we have ourselves a winner.

That's SUCH a British saying. :p

That said, I think we should stick with what :V: used in FS1/2.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

Or we could always go with Esperanto.
-C

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Interesting.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
It should all be written in 1337 speak.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

cent-er/re
hono(u)r

You're joking...right? :nervous:

Could I have said use Engrish as well

err.  Courd I have said use Engrish as werr
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Oh come on. The answer to this is obvious. The rebels use American English and the Empire uses British English.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline WMCoolmon

So we'd be, what, the Whills?
-C

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Yes. If you like.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Everything should have either a Southern or a Cockney accent.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story