General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

Memory usage?

(1/4) > >>

ADDAvenger:
On a whim, I checked my memory usage, and I was pulling about 580MB before starting the game, then I paused and checked after I'd been playing for a while and usage was at about 1.6G!  That's ok for me, since I have 2GB, but I'm thinking about a friend that only has 1GB, would they be able to run this?  All the details were maxed, 16x AA and AF, and I had MediaVPS going, so I figure it shouldn't be too hard to trim memory usage, the only question is what exactly should I cut back?  I know all that AA and AF isn't necessary, but my laptop can tank it I had it on.  Would 2x AA and 8x AF lower usage enough, or should we run it without MediaVPS?

Shade:
If you are using mv_adveffects.vp, that is a massive memory hog and should definitely be the first thing to go when cutting back. The rest of the mediavps should be less of a problem.

G0atmaster:
Are you sure it's all RAM that's being used?  Your pagefile (aka virtual memory) usage should be able to take care of that.

ADDAvenger:
I did everything jr2 said in this thread, I just looked and didn't see what you mentioned, are there multiple names for things?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48525.0.html

Shining_Saber:
Mine runs at 896 MB of RAM fine, and I'm running Vista too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version