Author Topic: I'm still alive and STILL waiting...  (Read 9126 times)

I'm still alive and STILL waiting...
Progress report please? Homeworld has been Remastered, ( wow)  and yet we still have no Fringespace.  :banghead: :lol:

I still have my entire catalog of Everything ever created for Tachyon, mods, patches, ship sets, maps, its all still here
( I even downloaded your new video how to config Tachyon, I admit, I havent played the game in years tho...)
I still have the video where NB played SM and won Base Wars in 16 minutes flat, setting a world record for the fastest win. (maybe i should post that on youtube?)

ahh well, memories.....I touch base here from time to time and check to see whats up?

well?  whats up?

edit: oh ya! and I have 3 computers now ( Tachyon is NOT installed on any of them, although I do have folders where I can launch Tachyon from storage drives)
 my original  tower running XP
lappy running 7
and my new addition hand-me-down, an Inspiron 530 running Nvidia GTS-450 (mega upgrade in my universe ) running 8.1
so there ya go.
still have my logitech wireless joysticks as well
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:41:11 pm by Slippster Starpilot »

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: I'm still alive and STILL waiting...
Well my file set is at least as large, minus perhaps some of your maps, but most anything that had a public release I got.

Yes, things are super slow. I'm wearing many hats and making all of about $80 a month thanks to my contracting job being useless.
My old man has Parkinsons, and at times is near vegetable status. I also run multiple other projects. One example being I just came back from
a city 3 hrs away for a conference, spent 3 days out there picking up information.

Z64 is/has been working on a converter, of which it wasn't until recently that we got large models like base pieces and caps to export properly.
While we had a nearly complete set of old low poly ships, they were all based on the first generation converter, and as such, while they work in game, there's a few things
that were buggy back then, like flipped textures, and some geometry placement that was off. To the untrained eye, you wouldn't spot it, but the issue is if we should restart for
the umpteenth time, and get a "proper" model set. It's also worth noting that Tachyon has right at 1000 model files. About 2/3rds of that is multi-part objects which use a mount
point system for attaching in game. As such it means on our end, we have to notate all the positions, figure out logically what should fit where, and recombine all the parts, and copies
of parts (sometimes dozens up to 150 pieces), and arrange them again in Max or whatever, then do all the baking, fixing, rigging, etc.  z64 also has been donating time to the wxWidgets
project and other problems around HLP.

DahBlount has been working with PBR builds, we've been recently talking about what that entails and if we can work the map generation into our workflow, even though most models are
super low poly.

Besides this, we don't have anyone working on a regular basis on the project. We're not a 22 person team like we were at our peak. On average it's been 3 people.
Even once we get the model slog from hell finally finished. We're going to need a FRED'er, or more accurately, a SEXP wizard, to get things built. I've never been able to step away
long enough to learn FRED's SEXPs. We've copied some other maps and made test maps, that's about the extent of it.

Overall world, timeline, fitting with the lore, core characters, several missions, we've talked about that for years, and it's sitting in a dusty closet. The problem is as it has always been,
getting the world built, cofigured, and in game.

Technically our 10 year anniverssary is the 26th of next month. I had hoped around the start of the year to push to get a demo out by then. It just hasn't worked out that way.
We're still here, still trying whenever we can though. Novalogic messing with the servers didn't help anything either.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is there a way I can play Tachyon on Windows 10? I'd love to go back through the SP.

God, I loved the ship designs in that game.

Offline JGZinv

It works fine on 10 as it did on anything else.

Some caveats though -

1. The DirectPlay (or one of the DirextX plugins) is no longer in Win 10 by default, so you sometimes have to check for background popups during install, or install it twice
to get it to appear and add the missing component.

2. Some people have had problems with old controllers not being recognized in Win 10. Tach looks at whatever Windows sees verbatim, if you want more customization then
you probably need a 3rd party customization tool.

3. If you get weird ass graphical problems, then look at our site and use one of the Visual Enhancements mod pack modes to emulate Glide. http://www.fringespace.org/?page_id=61

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I just play mouse/keyboard. Where can you get the game?

Offline JGZinv

Well Novalogic still thinks it's worth $10 so they sell it direct...   https://www.novaworld2.com/index.php?idtag=4d3a39bf2ef88&do=/public/store/catalog/

and there's it on Steam   http://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/

and eBay you can still get the big box version...  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tachyon%20the%20fringe&clk_rvr_id=1073418877228&mfe=search

or you know, look around online...  it is still laying around out in the open on certain FTPs (not us).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Awesome, thanks! I'll grab it on Steam.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Damn, this game's flight model is...very very exploitable. Tap reverse to stop instantly, glide at 2000. Multi must have been craaazy.

Damn, this game's flight model is...very very exploitable. Tap reverse to stop instantly, glide at 2000. Multi must have been craaazy.

:nod: ;7 :drevil: :eek2: :nervous: :lol: :yes: It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.
Every day was like Christmas! Always something new!

@ JGZinv - Ok  :confused: :shaking: :(  Thanks.....................................itsnevergonnahappen ... :banghead:  :nono:

Offline JGZinv

Well it depends. Deathmatch was indeed heated, I've seen 1 player take on 5 at one time.  Base Wars I've been part of an 18 hour long game.
You can still play multi by using Tunngle, I have a guide for that.

Sort of the last standing best killers that played was me, Darixita from Italy, and Eurofighter when he rarely dropped by.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've been wondering if the single player AI is slightly glitched - it hardly ever gets its nose pointed at me! But I'm guessing that's just because the AI is not built to deal with glide abuse.

I wish I could mod capships to put the power generators under the shields...and buff sappers a little.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It works fine on 10 as it did on anything else.

Some caveats though -

1. The DirectPlay (or one of the DirextX plugins) is no longer in Win 10 by default, so you sometimes have to check for background popups during install, or install it twice
to get it to appear and add the missing component.

Quote from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1568181/help-installing-directplay-on-windows-10
I was having issues with DirectPlay as well. It would hang Windows every time i launched FFXI and said it needed to install it.

I followed this youtube and it works now.

Basically

1. Right click Start
2. Click Programs and Features
3. Click Turn Windows features on or off
4. Make sure there is a check in Legacy Components
5. Click the + to expand
6. Check the box for DirectPlay

Offline JGZinv

I've been wondering if the single player AI is slightly glitched - it hardly ever gets its nose pointed at me! But I'm guessing that's just because the AI is not built to deal with glide abuse.

I wish I could mod capships to put the power generators under the shields...and buff sappers a little.

Weapons are hardcoded, but mounts are not. You can mount capship beam turrets on fighters, and they are one hit kill and infinite range. If you know how anyway.
I've mounted 16 railguns to a single fighter before... why? Because I could.

The AI in general, fighters and turrets, both cannot track lateral thrust. The AI is super stupid unless you stick it on hard, and even then they are gimped because they can't
use it themselves. There are AI tables where you can change some things if I recall, but I honestly never put the effort into changing anything since we had Fringe.

Capship surface shields are auto generated by a capship flag in the tables if I recall, it's the same for bases. I once tried to make a flyable capship, but the assembly of
items is that of a multipart structure that's just assembled in space by the game by a combination file. Supposedly one guy managed to make a carrier as his ship, but it was
only client side to him. Which I kinda sorta got it halfway there, but there's issues.

I did however make a base user destroyable, which if you do that the explosions then eventually cause a CTD. Caps and bases also don't disappear after they are blown up, evidently
that's why they do all that as part of scripted events. The best example of a battle is my black hole map Demon Raid.

Sappers are stupid levels of hard to get on a ship. There were a few additions we wanted to make.

@ jr2, thanks for the info.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Maybe a mod to make capship generators tougher, at least? It's ridiculous how easy it is to solo a carrier.

Did multi ever involve capships?

Offline JGZinv

Eh off the top of my head I dunno where we could adjust hp for those specifically. There might be a table for it? Tach is about 1/3rd hardcoded, so its a pain for certain things.

Multiwise, nothing officially. On mod maps they are just set pieces, or a turret blob which you can set to hate everyone, or the opposite faction. We dont have the ability to make scriptable events, someone once tried and got far, but they lost all their work and didnt attempt it again.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I loved playing the demo back when it first came out, and picked this up a while back on steam .  However, I've never been able to get the joystick to work right with this game on Windows 10 64 bit.  Setup recognizes my Sidewinder Force Feedback, but as soon as the game starts the joystick shakes like a chihuahua in a snow bank and won't stop until I exit the game.  Any suggestions?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline JGZinv

Use a 3rd party key config tool or have you tried turning off FF in the settings in the game menu? It was one of the early games that supported it.

I had a different problem on a FF Pro, in that it was gameport, and on Win 7. I managed a work around, but honestly I'm sad to say realistically... the old sticks just don't play well with Win 8+

I like how my thread got hijacked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P ( i don't care)

one of the tactics of days gone by was to hijack someone's thread and change the subject,
some things never change.
( its not a big deal you dont have to reply...)
I understand THIS is the "active thread" on the board at the present moment and people always gravitate to THAT thread ignoring the subject title completely. (its not a big deal, just sayin)

Been playing Star Conflict lately... that seems to satisfy my PVP FPS In Space jones/addiction/craving .....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
-snip-

Ever try Rebel Galaxy?   (not PVP, not FPS, I usually prefer those, but this one made a convert out of me - check out the YouTube videos)  GOG | Steam | XB1 | PS4 $20, you can wait and get it on sale, but TBH I thought $20 was a decent deal

Hmm Looks a lot like Earth and Beyond ( EA Games), although I can barely remember playing it, that game didn't last very long online, I got to Beta test it.

OK Rebel Galaxy - In space ( I watched the IGN review of the game ) it has the "feel" of what I would want Eve Online to be, just faster, and Yes those huge ships cant maneuver like that, also I saw a comment someone said "wait- you cant fly up or down?" meaning its all on 1 plane level ( which makes it easier to code ..whatever)

Star Conflict has been much improved since i last played it many years ago, I left in a much heated debate/dispute over game mechanics while they were finalizing the game ( made by russians) It's hard to be that close to a game that keeps changing week to week..well the game is much deeper now kinda like what we always wanted Tach to be like...and i can fly with mouse & keyboard (imagine that me flying mouse n keys, in Tach I always flew joystick))

Well, another game Starlancer made me fly with Joy + Mouse n keys because that game was a combo of RTS+FPS I never really got the grasp of that one, but for a brief moment there was a server offered up by this guy who made everyone get a paypal account because ther were HACKERS who regularly plagued the game so to be able to control it he used Paypal to verify identity ( weird i know).

Im unemployed ATM or I would be in Eve Online I still have "Slippster" there as well, (a 5 year old char) who has been asleep way longer than 5 years
( and I beta tested that game too, I still have screenshots of the last day of beta before going live to the world, where they gave everyone ALL SKILLS and 500 million ISK  and could buy/fly any ship, man it was crazy it reminded me of tach except we could fly capital ships and none of us really knew what to do with them, imagine Tachyon arena with Eve cap ships, ya it was like THAT.

THE LATEST FAIL- No Mans Sky- ( got it off bit torrent to have a look-see) as soon as the game launches and you see the logo "Hello World" Instant CTD.
Epic Fail. The whole world is crashing that game check this out; Im running Win10 and nVidia GTS-450 but the game needs your CPU to have the SSE4 instruction set ( which my Intel Core 2 Duo is NOT; however my laptop CPU DOES have) but even THAT crashed as well, so Epic Fail for No Mans Sky and from the look of this review I really don't want to play it anyway. The game was WAY OVER-HYPED. Check this out;

No Mans Sky Review by Total Biscuit
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:40:56 am by Slippster Starpilot »