FreeSpace Releases > Mission & Campaign Releases

Blighted - An FSO Roguelike

<< < (4/5) > >>

Asteroth:
It is a known issue which should be fixed by 22.4. It should work on 22.2.

perihelion:
Excellent!! [cheesy hair metal guitar riff]

Thanks mate!

Goober5000:
I finally played Blighted.  It's definitely new and different and very interesting.  I reached about 50 kills over 25 minutes before getting shot down.  Unfortunately that wiped all my progress so it put a damper on my motivation for the time being.

I like the different abilities with a variety of side effects.  And the homing primaries were very cool; I had not seen those in action before, although I recall seeing discussion on GitHub when they were being implemented.  I can also tell a lot of scripting went into this.

The whole situation is a bit of a mystery though; the mission doesn't tell you who you are, who you're fighting, what your motivation is, or what your goal is.

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: Goober5000 on December 29, 2022, 08:40:59 pm ---Unfortunately that wiped all my progress so it put a damper on my motivation for the time being.

--- End quote ---

That's what makes it a "Rogue-like" instead of a "Rogue-lite" (you know, adding a campaign-layer that gives you progression you keep)
Both subgenres play on the idea of personal improvement with each run, putting you in a competition with yourself; sprinkling just enough random elements in to give you a psychological loophole, so you don't quit because skill < difficulty

Keeping that in my Blighted is quite puristic in that regard, and lack of overt narrative engagement is follow-through instead of "missing"

Goober5000:
Good points.  I read up a bit on Roguelike games after playing Blighted, and I see how the seemingly strange design choices are in fact quite characteristic of the genre.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version