Author Topic: De-synching guns  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi all.

I’m sure we have all noticed that sometimes if using two linked primary banks the guns become de-synchronised, which gives the effect of a higher RoF.  :) But if you stop firing then start again, they will be synced again.  :(

Trivial Psychic had one of his characters in his story jerry-rig a contraption that forced his ship’s guns to do it all the time, so I know it's not just me that noticed this.

TL; DR - is there a way to force the primaries to de-synch in-game, and if so how? I'm, er, 'Asking for a friend'. Who suffers from 'Can't-hit-the-side-of-a-barn-syndrome'.  :p

Cheers
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

This happens when the single bank you were using is still on cooldown when you link weapons, so the other bank is ready right away to start firing, but the first one has to wait a moment, thus interleaving their fire. It's not a specific mechanic, if that's what you were asking. You can force this consistently by linking your weapons while already firing one of your banks, although if you want specific timing, it's simply a matter of timing when to link.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, there are some Cycle Firing Rate Hotkeys in the Weapons Tab of the Control Settings.

The Cycle Primary Weapon Firing Rate should work for default FS2 as well. Or at least it worked in the past. I do not rule out that this is tied to weapon flags now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:24:01 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

'Cycle Primary Weapon Firing Rate' is an SCP addition for weapons with the "dynamic primary linking" flag, which only a few mods use. I'm fairly sure there is no way in stock fs2 to change your rate of fire except implicitly by linking.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Trivial Psychic had one of his characters in his story jerry-rig a contraption that forced his ship’s guns to do it all the time, so I know it's not just me that noticed this.
Thanks for the plug, and yes, I have noticed this effect.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
'Cycle Primary Weapon Firing Rate' is an SCP addition for weapons with the "dynamic primary linking" flag, which only a few mods use. I'm fairly sure there is no way in stock fs2 to change your rate of fire except implicitly by linking.

The firing rate has nothing to do with the primary linking however. That is another hotkey ;-)

It changes how a primary weapon is firing. For example, if you have a primary weapon with two banks this key decides if you shoot both banks at the same time or alternately.

EDIT: And it still seems to work without any flags in the retail campaign.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 01:49:59 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

The firing rate has nothing to do with the primary linking however. That is another hotkey ;-)

It changes how a primary weapon is firing. For example, if you have a primary weapon with two banks this key decides if you shoot both banks at the same time or alternately.

Ooh, this sound just what I'm looking for. I'll give it a go :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

I'm legitimately curious what you're referring to now, I just tested it and it indeed works as I described (which is to say, not at all, in stock fs2). Are you still talking about 'Cycle Primary Weapon Firing Rate' or something else?