Author Topic: I finished my FreeSpace 2 video!!!  (Read 3624 times)

I finished my FreeSpace 2 video!!!
I did it. My video essay on Freespace 2 that I've been working on for like a year is done! I really hope ya'll like it!

https://youtu.be/603XNClmuAc

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: I finished my FreeSpace 2 video!!!
Gotta wait until 5pm though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
That time and effort really shows! Awesome job!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I just started this and have to laugh that you've echoed a whole bunch of my thoughts about the game and my relationship to it in under three minutes.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Yaaaay. I'm glad y'all liked it 💜

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
One point of contention, it IS possible to adjust your bindings in mission, by pressing F2.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I really liked this. And given that your channel shares its name with an episode of B5, I guess I'm going to have to subscribe in hopes of a "Why I love B5" video.

One point of contention, it IS possible to adjust your bindings in mission, by pressing F2.

True. But a modern gamer would simply press escape and then be confused it wasn't possible. Escape giving access to those menus is a given these days.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Jesus Christ really? That's hilarious I had no idea. Good to know I guess.

I think it still loops into my broader point about Freespace 2 just being an early enough game that this kind of stuff (like finding control options in the escape menu) hadn't been codified yet.

I'll have to add a little amendment to the vid at some point. Or a follow up.

Thanks for pointing this out to me haha. I appreciate it.

I really liked this. And given that your channel shares its name with an episode of B5, I guess I'm going to have to subscribe in hopes of a "Why I love B5" video.

YES. I really wanna do a Babylon 5 episode at some point. I need to do a full rewatch first though so it's probably a while out.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I really liked this. And given that your channel shares its name with an episode of B5, I guess I'm going to have to subscribe in hopes of a "Why I love B5"

You know that phrase is also the name for a subgenre of modern theatre adaptation, of which said episode is an example off.

*tips his hat Magnitospheria in recognition*
You have excellent taste :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Superb video!
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Very nice!
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

I couldn't quite find a place to talk about Diaspora in my Freespace 2 vid, so I made a little minivid to talk about it. It'll go live in about 12 hours!

https://youtu.be/wv8wres6QZA

Offline WeilArvaFaulIst

• Drifting Souls 2 - German Freespace browser game
    • Twitter
    • Drifting Souls 2
Nice!!!
Drifting Souls 2 - German Freespace browser game

http://ds2.drifting-souls.net/

Really great video. Just watching now and you've done a great job keeping your narrative tight considering how much you're covering.

It was one of the big challenges in writing it. There's so much to cover. The diaspora minivid was originally part of the script, but I decided to move it to its own thing.

In the end the reason I focused on FS1, 2 and Silent Threat Reborn because I think it's the best 'canon' experience but also showcases how the community created content is a really important part of what Freespace is now without also tangenting into a billion other things. I seriously considered bringing in Blue Planet too for example and it would have just...gone all over the place.

So the thinking was like. In my opinion, what is the 'core' story of Freespace and that's what I settled on. What would I put at the center where everything else spirals out from. And those three campaigns are what I settled on.

Its an interpretation specific to me for sure, but the video is called Freespace 2 is *my* Favorite Game for a reason haha.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I watch a lot of essays on Youtube. Yours is good. A very fine piece of work.

Enough said.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Aw thanks! I'm really proud of how it turned out. I really do need to get around to making more video essays.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I decided to add this to my audiobook rotation and recently listened to the whole thing (having previously only watched the part about ST:R).  Even audio-only, it was very well done. :yes: