Author Topic: Need a little help with Freespace port!  (Read 2975 times)

Need a little help with Freespace port!
Greetings all,

First off just wanted to say hello and how excited I am to come across this forum. I never would of dreamed I would be able to play one of my fave space sims in glorious HD and all shiney. Everyone on here has done a grand job, and you have made me one happy fan.

Now, I need some advice. I've managed to install my Freespace 2 copy from Steam and Im currently using Knossos launcher to run my mods etc. I've got the wxlauncher too, but I really like the simplicity of the Knossos launcher. I've got the lastest mediavp's for both Freespace 2 and the Freespace 1 port.

I'm playing through the original freespace and everything works great...except for one thing. For some odd reason, some weapon effects (like the disruptor and the flail cannon) have this really annoying faded "box" shape around them and I cant seem to figure out how to get rid of them. It definatly looks like a glitch and sofar, I've only noticed it on these two weapons. Freespace 2 weapons dont seem to be affected.

All my effect settings are maxed out in both the launcher and in game (my PC is pretty brand new) and I was wondering if it's me, or if there is something I've forgot to do. I was going to try and replace the weapon effects but in all honesty, I dont have a clue on what Im doing lol. I've read through the FAQ's on here, but cant see anything related specifically to my issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks again for continuing to upgrade this amazing game.

Ash

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: Need a little help with Freespace port!
Welcome aboard pilot :-)

I just noticed this myself. Dirsuptors work fine for me, but the flail definitely has weird squares around its shots. No idea why or how to fix it I'm afraid. (Other than not using the flail which sucks anyway  :p )
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Welcome aboard pilot :-)

I just noticed this myself. Dirsuptors work fine for me, but the flail definitely has weird squares around its shots. No idea why or how to fix it I'm afraid. (Other than not using the flail which sucks anyway  :p )

Thank you for having me. :)

Ahh OK cool, well I'm glad it's not just me then. I can certainly play without having to use them, but it's a bit weird that's is only a few weapon effects it's affecting. Hopefully it may get fixed if there's ever a new media vp update to the freespace port

Thanks for your reply though.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's a strange problem.  Try updating your graphics drivers, maybe there is some incompatibility.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Oh, I had this I know I did! Something... all settings were maxed and weapon effects were trash.

now for the life of me how did I fix it???

EDIT: I might have redownloaded the MVPS? bad checksums?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Is there a way to search every topic I've made? If I reported the problem I might track the solution...

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
There's a thing called F3 lab in Freespace nowadays: if you press F3 in the main menu, you enter the whole thingy where you can take a look at most assets of the game/current mod and that includes all weapon effects and models. My suggestion is to go to Weapons -> Laser there and check every single effect for signs of boxyness. I suppose my FSPort install is perfectly functional and still, 3 weapon effects are really boxy: Flail, Disruptor and D-Advanced, so if these are the only ones you have problems with, it's perfectly fine and looks like a couple of weapon effects are just broken and you can't really fix it without the FSPort team doing a small update to the mod.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is anything in FSPort broken though?  It sounds like this is a localized problem.