Author Topic: The "Best Joystick" question - new for 2013 !  (Read 15067 times)

Re: The "Best Joystick" question - new for 2013 !
If keyboard mouse doesn't suit you (pro tip; turn the sensitivity up, lots), try keyboard only.
There are plenty of us that fly in that fashion too ;x
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
On the other hand, the truth that playing space sims with a joystick can be a really fun option is great and should be shouted from the rooftops.

Hear hear. I was playing FS last night, for the first time in a long time, with a joystick, throttle, pedals, and freetrack rig. It was sublime.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd recommend CH Products series of controllers, especially the Fighterstick. If you've got money to spare you can also get Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals. Playing FS (as well as actual flight sims) with that setup is awesome.

I play Spacesims using a Saitek ST290 Pro. I have this Joystick for a few years now and I'm still very happy with it. :)
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgets/TechToys-Including-Gaming-Gadgets/Saitek-ST290-Pro-Joystick-9545.html
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
that looks like an evolution of the cyborg, which i can vouch for.  i currently use an X-45, but i did love my old cyborg 3d gold.  had JUST enough buttons to get all the most common controls on there, twist axis (prefer to rudder rocker for FS), throttle lever (the one on this one doesn't look as convenient, being on the back though) and i really liked the looser tension.  the x-45 gives me arm fatigue after a bit and i feel less accurate with it.  the one problem i had with the cyborg was i needed the deadzone set at 3, because it was a little wiggly at the center due to the lower tension.  i'm at 2 with the x-45.
I like to stare at the sun.

On the other hand, the truth that playing space sims with a joystick can be a really fun option is great and should be shouted from the rooftops.

Hear hear. I was playing FS last night, for the first time in a long time, with a joystick, throttle, pedals, and freetrack rig. It was sublime.

Redsniper, post your gear please !  This is exactly what I am hoping to do.  I dont want to reinvent the wheel, what is your gear and I will take any setup advice you have.  Although I might go with TrackIr instead as I am experiencing a rare period of having money  :), I want to start somewhere, and your setup is it.

And on some other posts, what is realism?  :)  Not sure that is really in gaming, and not sure I would like it if I saw it :).  Somebody above clarified it well, I want immersion.  Touching and using "flighty" things, like joystick, throttle, etc, helps draw me in. 

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Redsniper, post your gear please !  This is exactly what I am hoping to do.  I dont want to reinvent the wheel, what is your gear and I will take any setup advice you have.  Although I might go with TrackIr instead as I am experiencing a rare period of having money  :), I want to start somewhere, and your setup is it.

It's all CH Products stuff, Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals. Frankly, it's kind of expensive, but I wanted to splurge since getting a real job and paying off debts and such. Before this I had a Saitek X52 for several years, which I would also recommend as a good FS stick and throttle, cheaper too. The CH stuff isn't much to look at, but it all feels very solid and precise. A slight word of warning though: CH sticks are big for people with big hands. I ended up cutting a hand rest out of foam so I could reach the thumb buttons.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
One caution: a cheap joystick may turn out to be more frustration than it's worth. I briefly had one that I got rid of because the dead zone made fine control impossible.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I play Spacesims using a Saitek ST290 Pro. I have this Joystick for a few years now and I'm still very happy with it. :)
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgets/TechToys-Including-Gaming-Gadgets/Saitek-ST290-Pro-Joystick-9545.html
This is the one I switched to after my old (and kind of crummy and discontinued stick I can't remember the model of) snapped. Liking it so far, and the price was reasonable. :)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Thanks, got it on the CH products.  I have looked at them before.  Rudder pedals, how cool is that, but pricey I know.
Still torn, as I was also looking at a steering wheel, stick and TrackIR combo for dirt2.

Dont worry, I am not comparing playing Dirt to playing Freespace2 :).  Its just that friends would be more likely to sit down and play Dirt immediately on a steering wheel setup, where "flying" with pedals and joystick in a space sim/shooter is not something they would be interested in.  I cant afford both sets of hardware.  But I cant get away from the great youtube videos on Freespaceopen, so that looks to be the way I am going.
Thanks all

Offline Davros

I'll say it yet again
Freespace rocks with a forcefeedback joystick

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Actually I have a massive old Microsoft Forcefeedback2 laying around, I might try.

That is what I am using.  Perfect plug-and-play on my Windows 7 Home 64 bit PC.  I have not downloaded any old Sidewinder drivers or profiler software, and have not had any problems using the in-game settings to map out the functions I want.

I would REALLY like to get my old original MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to work, since it has a shift button to effectively double the number of buttons, but it has a gameport connection rather than USB.  My first ever computer upgrade was a Creative SoundBlaster audio card because the gameport on my VIA chipset motherboard would not recognize my new $100 toy.   :banghead:

Sorry, I ramble sometimes.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
If I'm on the go on my craptop, keyboard only is where it's at for me (growing up with MechWarrior 2 and Heavy Gear II where the main movement controls were on the numpad, I lived with it and like it now).

Actually I have a massive old Microsoft Forcefeedback2 laying around, I might try.

That is what I am using.  Perfect plug-and-play on my Windows 7 Home 64 bit PC.  I have not downloaded any old Sidewinder drivers or profiler software, and have not had any problems using the in-game settings to map out the functions I want.

I would REALLY like to get my old original MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to work, since it has a shift button to effectively double the number of buttons, but it has a gameport connection rather than USB.  My first ever computer upgrade was a Creative SoundBlaster audio card because the gameport on my VIA chipset motherboard would not recognize my new $100 toy.   :banghead:

You guys have me beat. When I'm at home, I use a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro (it does have a sound card plug, but thankfully has a USB adapter and auto-adapts to Win7, no old disc needed). Works like a charm playing any FS or any derivative.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I thought I had a USB adapter, but now I can't find one anywhere.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

The Prec Pro is probably the best joystick in the history of mankind.
Just a shame they don't make'em like that anymore :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I would REALLY like to get my old original MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to work, since it has a shift button to effectively double the number of buttons, but it has a gameport connection rather than USB.
If you like shift buttons, try CH Products. Both Pro Throttle and Fighterstick can have up to three modes, tripling the number of available buttons. If that's not enough for some reason, you can delve into Control Manage Scripts and have up to four modes. Though TBH, I've yet to see a game in which I would need more than one mode (and aside from hardcore flight sims and FS, few games can even exhaust the buttons available without modes).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i don't know about the newer products, but saitek's x45 has a 3-mode toggle switch AND an optional shift button for a total of SIX modes. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
On CH products, every button is a little keyboard, so you actually have 3,264 keys.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
What's with this joystick vs keyboard/mouse talk? Why not use all three at once? :D