Author Topic: Subspace  (Read 4776 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Well, I just wanted to post something about subspace and it seemed appropriate to put in this forum so here goes. Isn't so very odd that you can fight an entire battle within a subspace jump? I mean, how 'bout when we reach the end of the node, don't we umm...usually get to the other side by then? hahaha It's so obvious, but the subspace battles never really follow reality. So what I'm trying to ask is, how can we make subspace really end?

Offline Bri_Dog

Originally posted by AqueousShadow
how can we make subspace really end?

put a big wall 60km in front relative to the players start position
Sig

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
After a set time, the ship jumps out.  Its pretty easy, actually. ;)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
After a set time, the ship jumps out.  Its pretty easy, actually. ;)

but a ship can't "jump out" when you're in subspace, because it shows the vortex when the ship's jumping out, doesn't it?

And how can a ship jump to subspace when it's ALREADY in subspace!  I think there should be an option that when the player "jumps out" while in subspace, instead of playing the regular 'vortex' ani (which is stupid, cause you're already IN subspace) there be a second ANI, of like the vortex splitting open and the ship passing through into regular space.  you know?  like the 'cylindrical' thing you're in suddenly forming a 'gash' in the side and your ship going through it (with 'regular' space showing on the outside of the tear in the subspace tunnel)

cause i mean, if you think about it, the only mission (official) where a player plays a mission in susbpsace is the last one of Freespace 1 (where you destroy the Lucifer)... and you don't REALLY jump out at the end of the mission... when the Lucifer's destroyed the game just 'cuts' to the cutscene... there's no 'jumping out'.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
in the cutscene you see the luci jump out from inside the "tunnel", and it does look much likethe regular vortex ( well, big white glow ). so I guess it's not pb.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Just put a "no-warp animation" SEXP to remove the warp hole. I actually made a transparant warp ani for the Robotech mod, so when you land, you don't have that annoying warp ani.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Unkown Target
Just put a "no-warp animation" SEXP to remove the warp hole.

Like he said, except it isn't a sexp.  Just click the checkbox "No warp effect" under the ship departure cue in the ship editor.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
In my TC, the tunnel (which im keeping) is only a representation of light at that speed in subspace (which is more like B5 hyper space than FS2 subspace)
anyway i use a rift as a horizontal 'hourglass' shape
Code: [Select]

yaknow? so it makes sense to me (although having the oposite side in the middle of the rift would look SO cool...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2002, 04:03:54 pm by 307 »
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Like the Sathanas green rift thingy in the last cutscene. You could see normal space through it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
What about making a new warp out model, that is made of two "tubes" that get extended in the end (the subspace opening...), one is bigger than the other, and each one rotates in a direction, they are textured with the subspace corridor textures... that should make a nice warp effect... if well done of course :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
No no no no no....I don't think any of you got what I was trying to say. Like, one mission, consists of subspace AND space itself. Like, you start the mission in the subspace tunnel, then, you end up at the other side of the tunnel. I mean, subspace is just a "quicker" way to get to another system right? So, subspace doesn't actually last long enough for an entire battle to take place, so it'd be nice to have the battle come out into the next system.

Well as a non programmer I only see one way to do that.
Have the subspace part be a nebula... cause the two enviroments are different. And who says you can't have a battle in subspace? Lots of shows do that B5, ST, only Star Wars seems they cannfot fight in hyperspace. since the side effect makes my all-mod experiment use B5 jumpholes I think it works well for subspace cause they enter and leave, just wish the color could be made oragne when leaving subspace like in the show ,it is always blue... BUT IT WORKS! :nod:

Or here's another tip (DO not use subspace at all!) I mean really if there is no time to fight or even shoot 1 missile then just have the mission end in one system and  a red alert to get into the NEW system and CONTINUE the battle (Geesh, I'm surprised all you guru's haven't said this yet!) Can I get a cookie?
:rolleyes:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
What I think you should do for that is have multipul mission loading. you could load part of the next mission to view through the warp and the rest say 60 second before a possible end ing enabling quick if not seamless transition from subsapc e to normal space
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Nico

• Venom
No no no no no....I don't think any of you got what I was trying to say. Like, one mission, consists of subspace AND space itself. Like, you start the mission in the subspace tunnel, then, you end up at the other side of the tunnel. I mean, subspace is just a "quicker" way to get to another system right? So, subspace doesn't actually last long enough for an entire battle to take place, so it'd be nice to have the battle come out into the next system.

nah, on long jumps, it actually takes some time to go from one point to another, much like in Babylon5. If you want, subspace is a shortcut of some sort, shorter, but not instantaneous.
SCREW CANON!

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
I guess, but, still, it'd be nice to have that option, no?

Offline Nico

• Venom
I guess, but, still, it'd be nice to have that option, no?

yup
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Something cool would ba an in-mission teleport SEXP...

Something like, in the mission you owuld place some waypoints. and then there would be a SEXP that would say when something happens, a certain ship jumps ,out  to the vicinity of that wayppoint...
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by venom2506

nah, on long jumps, it actually takes some time to go from one point to another, much like in Babylon5. If you want, subspace is a shortcut of some sort, shorter, but not instantaneous.

Here's a question that probably has no :v: official canon answer: Since the distance between the FS star systems vary, does that mean the the transit time through subspace from Delta Serpentis to Sol would be any different from Vega to Capella? Considering how the lengths of jump node paths from system to system vary, it's reasonable to assume that the travel times would likewise vary...

Fighting in a subspace tunnel for 20 to 30 minutes would be an...interesting...experience....
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

IS there somehting preventing the use of subspace in a FS2 fred created mission???? I've downloaded like 3 subspace zips but none seem to work? Is something else needed to enable a subspace mission?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2002, 08:47:38 pm by 622 »
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Nico

• Venom
yes, there's some kind of white pcx to add to the effect folder, can't remembr the name tho.
Btw, subsâce fights are cool and all, but don't forget that the lucifer battle was an execption, it's very unlikely to happen, first coz it's very difficult to achieve, second coz it's dangerous ( your enemy has no shields, but you neither ).
SCREW CANON!