Author Topic: who is doing what with shields?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
who is doing what with shields?
is there a programmer out there that is looking into what can be done with the shield rendering system. i was bored the other night, so i used the metaball tool to create a quickie shield mesh for the lucifer, making use of that import data button in an older version of pcs. the rendering was kinda screwie, so i started working on a lower poly mesh for lucy, hopefully this one will render better.

with the high poly mesh, not every shot will create an energy distortion on the mesh, some go right through it. beams and fighters go through as well. i think it would be cool if some additional special effects were added, such as energy waves along the beam's slice. another feature would be a shild icon with more than 4 sections, maybe a pair of top downs (ventral/dorsal views) with hexagonal shield sections so you can see where the weak spots are.

flying you fighter through the shileds should have some consequenses. to start they could cause emp effects and a turbulant entrance (similar to afterburners or engine wash). you could fly throgh a weak section and take minimal damage, take severe damage from a fully powered section, and none from a depleted section. another idea is to make your fighters shields stop working while you are within the capship's shield mesh (making you a sitting duck for turrets).

the shild mesh could also be used for other special effects, such as mapping out an energy field in a subspace portal. done simply by layering electrical arc textures over the mesh. any other ideas?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline athropy

I dont know how difficult it is to do, but I can easily picture the way a beam breaks the shield down like shards of glass.

Well, while we're in the realms of just wishful thinking for now - the way fighters would fly through shields is that they would hit the shield and suffer a speed drop and their own shields would be depleted a little from flying through. But, they'd have to nose dive the shield almost vertically, otherwise they'd just skitter along the surface of it.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Oi! You! Nooo!

Since when did fs2 have force shields? I thought fighters would just pass through anyway?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
we discussed about this sometime ago but i don't know if someone gave a look at the code
this was the thread :
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,9812.0.html

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've made some improvements to my shield hit code, but I started messing with some other stuff, and I havn't tested the current build wich might very well be broken, but there it is if you want to look at it
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
with my shielded lucy, i found a cool tactic. you can escape a missile or fighter's guns by flying into the shields while a fighter is on your tail. one thing that needs to be done is make different weapons have different shield impact effects. large weapons cause big disturbances in the shields, while little fighter weapons leave little shield fluctuations. instead of the current one size fits all effect.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 09:18:25 pm by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN