Author Topic: Everything about fred  (Read 1560 times)

Offline RandomTiger

How about a fred discussion.

What has been added since the code release?
How do you get access to the code?
What features are people screaming for?
Are there any big bugs in there?
What kind of state is the code in?

Offline Inquisitor

I really, really, really need to get you to use email and look at the changelogs in CVS.

Most of the "current state" stuff is there.

I'll dig up WMCoolmons changelist (which I believe we included with the 3.2 fred2 release, in the zip, with the exe), the VAST majority of the features added to fred 2 have been in support of fs2_open changes.

The code is available thru CVS, I believe the module is called fred2_open, will have to check the FSSCP CVS website to be sure. It currently requires that you manually do a couple things to get it to compile (needs the fs2 code stuff) but we seperated it intentionally so we could preserve the unix build, make it so fred 2 was unaffected by our renaming manipulation, etc.

WM and I spoke briefly about re-integrating it with fs2_open so you didn't have to do the manual things to get it to build (the easiest way was to copy the code into the fs2_open directory, so the directory structure was preserved, for instance), but he was merrily working on it and then he had to stop, so that conversation was shelved.

I think your contributions are valuable, but the DX thing is more likely that not going to happen again, and the Fred2 stuff has to march with the fs2_open stuff. Many of the features that people want need fred2 support, so, you'll be extending functionality in ways you might not see immediate benefit from. Things like beam tiling (which you hate) might eventually become fred configureable, as opposed to merely toggled at the command prompt, I will honestly have to look at CVS to see if WM may have already prepared for that. Further, I think it may not be consensus that the software renderer will go away, and may need to be preserved along with adding real 3d capability to it. It may be a simple matter to add that capability by simply telling fred to use it ;) I say that, because the trend from these fine folks here is 1) do not break anything existing, include support for old machines (hence the command line to enable table limit extensions) and 2) allow, in general, more flexibility rather than less.

So, that's the the scoop. I think WM commented his stuff, and certainly CVS is keeping track of things, you can always do a cvs diff on a local file to see what is different.

I believe your account has write access to fred2_open, but I will ask you not write anything till you look it all over and we trade a few messages on the subject.

That being said, go ahead and open it up to all the requests from folks ;)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Im using a post rather than e-mail because I was hoping for a discussion.

I didnt even realise fred was in cvs, dont worry I dont want to write anything to it. I've got enough to worry about as it is.

For the record I only hated the beam code because it wasnt optional.

I just noticed someone in the mod forum wanted hardware D3D in fred, if you view the models it does have a tendancy to slow down. We could perhaps offer a option between software and D3D (using the fs2_open engine of course).

Offline Inquisitor

Works for me, I sent you an email to make sure you realized I'm not mad or anything, I just need to make sure that the lines of communication are very, very open ;)
No signature.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by RandomTiger
I just noticed someone in the mod forum wanted hardware D3D in fred, if you view the models it does have a tendancy to slow down. We could perhaps offer a option between software and D3D (using the fs2_open engine of course).

:yes: Very good idea
-C