Author Topic: DX8 upgrade chat  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Inquisitor

This is mostly for RT and UP, but if there are other people who need/want to play, that's fine. I see this as a working session to document our approach and resolve any issues as well as make sure we are going in a direction that makes sense :)

So, since one of you is down under and the other is near the first meridian, I will leave it to you to pick a time (try not to kill me, I am in US EST, but, I want to be there to listen and help if I can).

If you say the only time you can do it is 4am EST, I'll wake up and be there, otherwise, this weekend would be preferable :)
No signature.

Personally I'm happy if we stick with just trading emails or forum messages rather then going real time chat. Since we're on other sides of the international date line and such there's not much chance of us developing stuff at the same time.

Offline RandomTiger

I can make myself available any time from 7am to 2am (UK time), otherwise my brain wont be awake so there wouldn’t be much point.

Due to new information Im currently rethinking my stategy.
If fs2_open is to move over to DX8 first then I urge people to keep it 3D projected (for now) as trying to do both jobs at once would be incredably difficult.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2002, 02:10:34 pm by 848 »

Offline Inquisitor

Ok, we can do this, I just want to expose the thinking and see if it can benefit from any input other than you two :)

Welcome to collaborative design ;)
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i wanted to look into directsound 8.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

Can anyone say for sure if bumpmapping requires hardware light?
Im not so sure now.

What do you want to do with directsound?

Offline Solatar

I think he just wants better sound quality. If nothing else (Please make it "Something else") I think the Source Code Project should vastly improve the graphics of fs2. Make it better than some of the new games. Turn this three year old engine inot a cutting edge gaming experience.

Offline RandomTiger

For that to happen it would have to run in 'true' 3D with lighting which as I've been finding out is damn difficult.

Offline Inquisitor

Shouldn't the first step is to simply (I know, simply doesn't really apply) replace the direct x 5 calls with direct x 8 calls? Don't change the look and feel, just get it up to spec as it were? It strikes me that many of the subsystems could benefit from an upgrade (joystick code comes to mind as well), and worry about lighting etc once you have something that requires DX8 that works?

Or am I way too off base?
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by RandomTiger
What do you want to do with directsound?

i was curious if it could do something with any sound file if you have the codec like your movie code.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Inquisitor

No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Could UP please cvs add the dx8 stub file as it does not seem to be downloading for me.

PhReAk: I used dshow for that code, I dont know much about dsound but on the quick look I took through the help I dont think it supports quite the range that dshow does.

Done - sorry about that lads!

I know my method calls through some layers that are unnecessary, but I really like OOP and so using FS's globals hurts me on the inside. :)

Offline Inquisitor

Can you comment (or maybe you have already) the places where you think that might be the case?
No signature.

Sorry Inquis - but if you were replying to me then I don't get you - otherwise never mind.

Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting Access Violations in the D3D8RENDER class when I try to set the viewport or retrieve the device caps? Keeps coming up and I can't find a good reason for it.