Author Topic: Controllable subspace nodes?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Controllable subspace nodes?
I was wondering if there were any plans to code support for something that would enable people to include a continual or temporary animated effect on an object in the game.

Meh - that sounded confusing, lemme give a few examples:

1 - A mission with a corrupted subspace node. It could be a very jagged model based on the subspace node pof (the conical one, not the intersystem node model), with a custom ANI assigned to it as a texture. The ANI would be like the subspace ANI, but with dark colors and stuff, to make it look like a "sick" node. This object could be controlled via SEXPs, but also grow and shrink like subspace node effects do.

2 - uhh... lesee...  ok, maybe I'll stick with one possible use of this thing. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Inquisitor, I see you viewing this thread - post something! ;) :lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Solatar

While we're on the subject of nodes, could we have something like in Tachyon, where the player can jump intersystem, without a red alert mission? (i.e.-Two battles, one on each side of the node. Alpha has been assigned to help out with both. You fly through the jump node back and forth between the battles).

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Or the system used in XWA or SL. :)

They work better in my opinion. :)
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Hades
While we're on the subject of nodes, could we have something like in Tachyon, where the player can jump intersystem, without a red alert mission? (i.e.-Two battles, one on each side of the node. Alpha has been assigned to help out with both. You fly through the jump node back and forth between the battles).

:rolleyes: No offense, but do you have any idea how many times that idea has been mentioned?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Would be cool, tho.

Anyway, I can think of several uses for animated texes. How about running lights on ships? Ships that can "cloak"? Some sort of crawly texture on Shivan ships? Stuff like that?

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
or we could actually use it to create small background battles, giving the appearance of a much larger engagement.  Or maybe even make a giant christmas tree complete with blinking lights.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by Sandwich

:rolleyes: No offense, but do you have any idea how many times that idea has been mentioned?

Yes, It has been metnioned at least a million times, but I figured why we are actually on the SUBJECT, why not bring it up. I know nobody will do it, but that doesn't really matter.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
so you want to have mission scripted controle over fireballs (the FS object type, wich would include warpin\out glows)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline JC Denton

• Node For Me
Sure, like when a subsystem is scripted to be sabotaged or such, you can set a tag in the SEXP to determine if it "blows out" like if a swarm of Stilettos hit it, or if it just "turns off" (i.e. no explosions).
"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."  - Gene Roddenberry

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Bobboau
so you want to have mission scripted controle over fireballs (the FS object type, wich would include warpin\out glows)

Err, I think so... basically, I want to have full scriptable control over spacial anomalies. The models for these anomalies could be resized during a mission, and they can have animated textures in addition to normal ones.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well could you give me an example f what you want, that description up there wasn't very... descriptive

a node isn't a visable thing, it's only marked by a little wire frame green hud image, now if what you want is to have a warpin effect of some sort that plays continusly without haveing anything warping in or out (wich doen't make much sence considering how FS subspace works, but that is irelevent to the matter at hand) that could probly be done.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I think I know what he wants, I have the need for something like that actually:
imagine an unstable node, something disrupted it. now it stays open, much like if a ship wanted to jump in/out. but there's no ship, the thing just won't itself because of some singularity. so it's growing, shrinking, flickering, etc, but won't shut down. Is that what you've in mind Sandwich?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506
I think I know what he wants, I have the need for something like that actually:
imagine an unstable node, something disrupted it. now it stays open, much like if a ship wanted to jump in/out. but there's no ship, the thing just won't itself because of some singularity. so it's growing, shrinking, flickering, etc, but won't shut down. Is that what you've in mind Sandwich?

Yes, that's it - the warp-in/out effect - sorry about the confusion from calling it a node.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Would be cool, tho.

Anyway, I can think of several uses for animated texes. How about running lights on ships? Ships that can "cloak"? Some sort of crawly texture on Shivan ships? Stuff like that?

while we're on the topic of textures, what about emissive textures - those are awesome. Imagine the designs on the shivans glowing and pulsating....
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
you mean something like the "vortex" in the final missions of secret ops (the free downloadable game that continued wc prophecy's story)? it was like a continuous warp effect rotating..nice:)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by KARMA
you mean something like the "vortex" in the final missions of secret ops (the free downloadable game that continued wc prophecy's story)? it was like a continuous warp effect rotating..nice:)

Never played that one, but yeah, sounds like it. :yes: