Author Topic: The Fusion Engine and Freespace  (Read 1469 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
The Fusion Engine and Freespace
I've found my copy of Descent 3 and played a bit.

The engine is quite unusual for the time the game is from. According to Wikipedia it features bumpmapping... well I didn't see any bumpmapping, but I saw the motion blur. Wait... motion blur in 1998?

I didn't notice it back then, but now I think it works quite good for explosions.
The motion blur effect on the stars reminded me a lot of Freespace. Actually it even looked quite a bit better.

How closely related is the FS2 engine to the fusion engine?

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Re: The Fusion Engine and Freespace
Yes, it has bump mapping. See the small screenshots here? Those were taken in a bump-mapped D3, although the pictures are slightly altered (a grain was added) but it's there. I recommend checking out this mod for Descent 3, which takes it into space combat playable in multiplayer as Team Anarchy.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: The Fusion Engine and Freespace
As far as I know, the Fusion engine is essentially unrelated to the FS2 engine; the original FS engine was derived from the engine developed for the first two Descent games, but Descent 3 used a completely new codebase.  The interesting thing about the Fusion engine is that it combined a flight-sim-based engine for outdoor areas with a room-based engine for indoor structures, providing the instantaneous movement between indoors and outdoors that the game allows.