Author Topic: Freespace2 Online Installer  (Read 63165 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Freespace2 Online Installer
Oh dear, its saying that all download mirrors have faild.......i guess i can never re-download freespace 2...... :(

Hrm. It's working for me... very odd. Are you sure your firewall isn't blocking it?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

i dunno if firewall is blocking it or not......i tried downloading again..this time it was done but the game cannot open......i used all Debug to open the intro video after that thats it.....not working its all black.......then i closed it of course......maybe i cant download..........

This is what i get, now i remember, the same error occred during the very 1st FS2 SCP was installed, it is :

FreeSpace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory <- This is what i get for now, if you can solve it then confirm FS2 will work.....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC, that is solved by deleting the launcher6.ini file, then running the launcher again (it will re-create the file).

EDIT: BTW, hip63's DVD + 1.01 patch (in my siggy) will work with Turey's Installer.  The only caveat is that after it installs, and you patch it, you must rename the fs_port_3 (I forget the exact name, it's the one with "port" and "3" in it)... anyways, rename that folder to "fsport" without the quotes, then Turey's Installer will work as an updater to your newly installed, working FSSCP + goodies.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This is what i get, now i remember, the same error occred during the very 1st FS2 SCP was installed, it is :

FreeSpace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory <- This is what i get for now, if you can solve it then confirm FS2 will work.....

IIRC, that is solved by deleting the launcher6.ini file, then running the launcher again (it will re-create the file).

Nope. It's actually one of the easiest errors to solve but I seem to be the only one who ever remembers how. The error is caused when you install to the desktop, drag the launcher there or make a poor icon for the launcher/FS2_Open.

If you've installed to the desktop simply copy the entire folder to somewhere else and the problem is over. If you'd dragged the launcher to the desktop don't. Make a shortcut instead. Then right click on it's properties and be certain the start in folder setting actually points to the folder you have FS2 in (C:\games\Freespace2 by default).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Would installing to "My Documents" also cause a problem like this?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

i made a shorcut of launcher just like jr said....then i went to properties....then it did show th location on where the FS2 was......whats next??

ya thats the point....i downloaded it to this location........[ C:\Documents and Settings\Xavier Andrews\My Documents\Downloads\Programs ] then i created a launcher shortcut just like u said.....what do i do next??

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'd suggest going into that folder and dragging the whole Freespace2 folder to somewhere like C:\Games\Freespace2 instead.

ya but why is it must move to the games folder?

All FS2 Downloaded items have been sucessfully moved to the following location and a shortcut launcher file was created in the desktop and i right clicked the shortcut file and it did show where the original launcher was. What do i do next......awaiting orders......

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Change that to the new location... also, be sure the "start in" folder is correct.

It'd be easier, though, to delete the old shortcut, find the "launcher.exe" file in the new location, right-click > send to > desktop (create shortcut)

The original launcher is in C:\Games\FreeSpace 2 folder.....then you said that create / copy paste a shortcut launcher in the desktop before this reply right? thats what i did.....so what do you mean by change that to new location?? you mean create another shortcut to somwhere else [ like C:\Games\ ] and link the desktop shortcut to the another shortcut [ C:\Games\ ]or what?

Now another error is here saying whenever i open the launcher and press run :  Web Cursor bitmap not found
Now guyz this is annoying.........................!!

hey guyz the problem which i wrote was not thr launcher one.....its the FreeSpace2: FreeSpace2 Launcher :volition.inc........if i go through the launcher there is too many errors..................

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Wait until I get home... I'll IM you through this...

The rest of you guys pray for my sanity... :/

haha lol.........hope you know my IM [email protected]

i am uninstalling the Openinstaller which i installed and installing the online installer which is in page 1 of this topic......

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
i am uninstalling the Openinstaller which i installed and installing the online installer which is in page 1 of this topic......

It won't work.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.