Author Topic: Kings of FREDding - ( Split from the FoEP thread)  (Read 13229 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Kings of FREDding - ( Split from the FoEP thread)
Originally posted by Singh

Actually, I'd call him more the king of freespace campaigns than the king of FREDding.

That title ought to go to Karajoma - simply because he's the most famous FREDdite here, despite the lack of missions. Simply releasing missions is one thing, but actually being able to manipulate FRED to do things one never though possible is another. I've seen some of the stuff Karajoma's made, and his knowledge. Hands down, I'd say that he's the King of FRED itself.

Gee. Thanks Singh. I'm all embarassed now.

I don't know if I'm the best to be honest. Maybe just the loudest out of the best. ;)
 I'm sure that there are others who are as good as me. I mentioned Sesquipedalian earlier cause when he does post a FRED answer it always impresses me. And I'm sure Goober is probably as technically brilliant as I am. Look at FreeSpaceLancer for an example.

I think your view is slightly biased by the fact that you can see the big MG mission I'm working on but can't see the WIPs of the other people I mentioned. That said I don't mind getting some praise for my FREDding. We FREDders don't often get as much as we deserve and it definately has the effect of making me want to work harder at it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by Slasher

FireSplat.  Skittles was his old nickname.  I guess you'd have to be from the Second Generation VBB group or earlier to get that.  I feel so old now... :sigh:

Who could forget the other regulars on the VBB's FRED2 help forum?  Or other ancients?  Eth,  M'Prok,  Zarathud, Peter Drake, the guy who wrote the original FRED2 retail walkthrough, and ZylonBane (oh wait, he's still around, isn't he?). :D

Someone here has to tell me that at least one of those names is familiar!

Yup, ZylonBane, the beam dude ;)
Did M´Pork actually do something other than spamming the VBB? Peter Drake also made the Boomerang campaign with a nice effect (tactical jump of a Moloch) and FireSplat simply created three of the best single missions ever released for FS2
Caught in the middle
Surprise guests
and Holocaust
You really should get and play those missions, they are really worth the download :)

Offline Slasher

Eth always wrote those nice long multi-paragraph responses to everyone's questions in the FRED2 forum.  He seemed to have solutions to even the most complicated of our problems.  He dropped off the radar sometime before Ground FreeSpace's MS Sidewinder mission contest in May,  2000.

And then there's ZylonBane.  Beam-friggin-free-all.  What more needs to be said?  Beam-friggin-free-all indeed.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
And then there's ZylonBane.  Beam-friggin-free-all.  What more needs to be said?  Beam-friggin-free-all indeed.

:lol:

man, i woulda liked to be with the VBB.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Nah, the only thing you´d have seen there would be Setekh writing millions of posts... I think he even got past the 7k-line, I think :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
I'm sure that there are others who are as good as me. I mentioned Sesquipedalian earlier cause when he does post a FRED answer it always impresses me. And I'm sure Goober is probably as technically brilliant as I am. Look at FreeSpaceLancer for an example.
Gee. Thanks karajorma. I'm all embarassed now. :)
We FREDders don't often get as much as we deserve and it definately has the effect of making me want to work harder at it :)
:nod: :nod: :nod:

We FREDders don't often get as much as we deserve and it definately has the effect of making me want to work harder at it

Everyone: Begin neglecting FREDders. Maybe that'll speed up some of the big Campaigns.

;) j/k.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Everyone: Begin neglecting FREDders. Maybe that'll speed up some of the big Campaigns.
:wtf: No, praise speeds us up.  Neglect slows us down.  That's why all the campaigns are taking so long. ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
and school and work. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

;) j/k.

Begin? :p
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Originally posted by Goober5000
:wtf: No, praise speeds us up.  Neglect slows us down.  That's why all the campaigns are taking so long. ;)

We FREDders don't often get as much as we deserve and it definately has the effect of making me want to work harder at it

FUKOOOOV!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

;) j/k.

Hmmm. That sentence was a little ambiguous on it's own but taken in context you should see that I was referring to the fact that when people praise my FREDding I want to FRED more often.

It's similar to the way that Goober complained a while back that no one seemed to be using his new SEXP stuff and that made him feel less inclined to work on it.
 That's the main reason I'm pushing the new string variable stuff and when-argument style conditionals so hard. If I didn't only a few people would probably realise how powerful and useful this new stuff is so no  one would use it and thank Goober for it.
 In fact I think I said when string variable testing was added that only about 5 people would care but that we would all care a hell of a lot :D

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
We should go on strike or something.

"What do we want? Wub and huggles! When do we want them? Now!"

Offline Nuclear1

:lol: :lol:

Begin?

Indeed. I don't think FREDers get half the good attention they deserve. It seems as if project leaders get a lot of credit for the campaign, but no one seriously considers the hard work that FREDers put into them. :nod:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We need to revisit the days of mission design contests. :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

FireSplat.  Skittles was his old nickname.  I guess you'd have to be from the Second Generation VBB group or earlier to get that.  I feel so old now... :sigh:

Who could forget the other regulars on the VBB's FRED2 help forum?  Or other ancients?  Eth,  M'Prok,  Zarathud, Peter Drake, the guy who wrote the original FRED2 retail walkthrough, and ZylonBane (oh wait, he's still around, isn't he?). :D

Someone here has to tell me that at least one of those names is familiar!

Whatever happened to Eth (I presume you mean Etheral Entity)?  He seem a pretty decent bloke (smart as **** as well), I remember him giving me a hand figuring out mtl files way back when I started using Lith to map models.

Offline Nuclear1

Especially now that the SCP has opened so many options to FRED. :nod:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Yeah, just so it's clear, you FREDders do realize it was a joke, right?

I mean, c'mon, you know we all love ya. What would new Models or effects be without the well-thought-out missions that use them, for example? ;)

FUKOOOOV!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

The last one was a bit of a flop though. No one could post progress reports easily so there was no way to inspire people to work on the missions and very little ended up getting done (I myself only got halfway through my mission).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, but I think I know why the last contest had problems.  It ought to be possible to avoid them if we know what they are.

Check your ICQ. :)