Author Topic: Lt. Polpolion Says...  (Read 15335 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Lt. Polpolion Says...
What the heck are you people talking about?

Pizza.
Quotes of Lt. Polpolion.
And Military Tactics and strategy.
In real life and Sci-fi.
And their impact on Morale and Enemy tactics and strategy.
But mostly Pizza.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What the heck are you people talking about?
Your mom.

Someone say pizza?

EDIT: Sorry Spardason, we're trying to keep it family-friendly here. -- Darius
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:52:01 pm by Darius »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I find this whole situation that arises at the end of AoA a very, very sticky one. I can see where Admiral Bei and the other defectors are coming from, after all, it does contravene the GTVA's supposed morals and ideologies, and to wage war on a human society that is pacifistic/pastoral in the extreme does seem a little sick.

However, I can also understand the GTVA's concern, the UEF seem utterly unaware of the dangers posed by the threat of a possible Shivan return, and are likely to attempt to extend their pacifistic regime to the rest of the Terran arm of the GTVA, which could have dire consequences, since Humanity's cradle would be welcomed with open arms as the leader of the Terran people if it was accepted in a gesture of peace. The only way to ensure the military might and thus the protection extended by the GTVA is to demonise and subjugate the Earthborn, removing their hippy peace and love agenda.

I can understand the player character defecting to follow his father, since this was not the reunion he or most of the 14th battlegroup expected, but I wonder if they were all being a tad premature and not thinking through the cold, hard realities of the situation.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The only way to ensure the military might and thus the protection extended by the GTVA is to demonise and subjugate the Earthborn, removing their hippy peace and love agenda.
Amen.

But rather than forcibly harden them the **** up, in my opinion, the only way this is going to end is in some kind of coexistence between the two, with both sides seeing eye-to-eye. Forcibly pulling the flowers out of their hair and trying to knock some sense into them 'GTVA-style' is going to be about as effective as 'Nam.

The GTVA needs to

- Accept the UEF is not a threat (or eliminate what was a threat from them) , and try and make-do with its ideology
- Convince the Elders that protection against the Shivans is a mighty big priority, and that their hippy bull**** can stay the **** at home when the Shivans come out to play. Resulting in the two coexisting and working together in the event of a third incursion.

The UEF needs to

- Accept the GTVA's way of doing things, and work together for the better of the two.
- Understand the Shivans from the Alliance's point of view, and agree to help out to the best of their ability in terms of a Shivan invasion. (since well, that's one of the key points here.)
- Stop their state sponsored terrorism.

Both sides need to have some kind of free information exchange, so we won't have black ops events going on every two seconds between the two sides.

Some of the points are fundamentally flawed, but eh.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The GTVA needs to

- Accept the UEF is not a threat (or eliminate what was a threat from them) , and try and make-do with its ideology
The problem from the GTVA's point of view is that the Ubuntu ideology is extremely appealing to the people of their practically bankrupt government. The GTVA can't risk its populace being converted to Ubuntu, cuz that would leave everyone defenseless (again, from their point of view). The solution to the problem was (apparently) war, to paint the Ubuntu ideology as a primitive ideal that can't work in the real world, and then crush it. The GTVA and UEF can't coexist.

- Convince the Elders that protection against the Shivans is a mighty big priority, and that their hippy bull**** can stay the **** at home when the Shivans come out to play. Resulting in the two coexisting and working together in the event of a third incursion.
The Elders are special and all that. In their divine wisdom they'd probably refuse to allow their populace to become subjects of a militaristic regime that clearly does not work (the NTF, Capella, colonial strife and basically the crisis the entire Terran species is experiencing all point to the GTVA being a fundamentally flawed regime).

The Elders, if they are communicating with a higher power (Vishnans?) probably won't come down to the GTVA's level of thinking, since they're enlightened and all that. Likewise, the GTVA won't see things from the Elders' point of view because they're not likely to believe the inane rantings of a group of old farts any time soon.

The UEF needs to

- Accept the GTVA's way of doing things, and work together for the better of the two.
As I said above, the Elders simply can't do this. The Ubuntu ideology is a polar opposite to the GTVA's hard-power militaristic regime. From the UEF's point of view, the GTVA, while large and equipped with a massive military, is really struggling to keep itself together and is, like the GTA before it, on the verge of internal collapse. It's only managed to maintain its integrity by crushing colonial rebellions through the use of force.

The UEF on the other hand doesn't have this problem, barring the fringe Kupier factions that aren't really much of a threat anyway. The Elders have been able to keep their population under control simply because their regime works.

- Understand the Shivans from the Alliance's point of view, and agree to help out to the best of their ability in terms of a Shivan invasion. (since well, that's one of the key points here.)
The Elders are enlightened. They probably understand the Shivans better than the GTVA do. The GTVA don't know **** about the Shivans apart from the fact that they're invincible and can't be stopped. There's no reason why the Elders should bend over to this way of thinking.

- Stop their state sponsored terrorism.
Yeah, the UEF isn't without fault in this area either.

Both sides need to have some kind of free information exchange, so we won't have black ops events going on every two seconds between the two sides.
An information exchange would help, yeah. I think it'd allow both sides to better understand each other. However, I doubt it'd solve the problem.

Yeah. The most fundamentally flawed point is the entire GTVA's reasoning.

In Capella, the GTVA saw the true power of the Shivans. What we've learned from Capella is that the Shivans can't be stopped with military force. And yet, the GTVA continues to try and build up its military to fight something that clearly can't be fought on equal terms.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah. The most fundamentally flawed point is the entire GTVA's reasoning.

In Capella, the GTVA saw the true power of the Shivans. What we've learned from Capella is that the Shivans can't be stopped with military force. And yet, the GTVA continues to try and build up its military to fight something that clearly can't be fought on equal terms.

Right, so you suggest to just roll over and die?
That's a ****ing plan right there.

In the GTVA's position, continuing military buildup is the only sensible thing to do. Even if you can't win outright, you want to at least put up a fight so you can evacuate your people (on sleeper ships, etc).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:25:26 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:rolleyes:

Did I say that? I don't recall.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

We know Shivans die when shot, but we can't talk to them, so we can't reason with them, corrupt them with our culture, or make them dependant on imports from our factories. The military option is currently the only one on the table, and it's known that the Shivans can at least be pushed back temporarily and cut off via the deployment of meson warheads en masse. What do you think they're going to do?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Node collapses, sleeper ships, I dunno. But it's pretty damn obvious fighting them is not the right option. Sure you can slow them down but that's about it.

Also, the Elders apparently are communicating with some higher power, who will probably turn out to be the Vishnans or something. So that could be a solution there. Not really a viable solution to put the survival of your species on a border-line deity, but the Elders might have some kind of plan in case of a Shivan invasion.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:34:27 am by Snail »

Offline Droid803

Node collapses, sleeper ships, I dunno. But it's pretty damn obvious fighting them is not the right option. Sure you can slow them down but that's about it.

Also, the Elders apparently are communicating with some higher power, who will probably turn out to be the Vishnans or something. So that could be a solution there. Not really a viable solution to put the survival of your species on a border-line deity, but the Elders might have some kind of plan in case of a Shivan invasion.

How are you going to collapse those nodes or protect those sleeper ships without a military?

Also, how much can you trust this vague "higher power"? You might if you were actually talking to them, but just trusting some old guys babbling about communicating with "higher beings" doesn't seem very wise. As for this plan which they may or may not have, there's no way of knowing its effectiveness until well, you at least know what it is. The GTVA should try to learn about it, at the very least, though.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Eh, I guess you guys are right.

Go GTVA pwn those Buntu assholes.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

In the GTVA's position, continuing military buildup is the only sensible thing to do. Even if you can't win outright, you want to at least put up a fight so you can evacuate your people (on sleeper ships, etc).
Bosch felt he had a better way.  And arguably, it worked, at least on an extremely small scale.

Offline -Norbert-

Elders communicating with "higher beings"?
UEF commiting terrorism?

Anyone care to give a source for those two, since I don't remember ever reading anything like that, despite having read all the information on the BP homepage and all entries in the Tech Database.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Anyone care to give a source for those two, since I don't remember ever reading anything like that, despite having read all the information on the BP homepage and all entries in the Tech Database.
Well then you'd better read it again. :P

Okay, I decided not to be a jack ass and just copypaste the quotes here:

Quote from: The Reunion
For the UEF’s part, the arrival of the 14th was not unexpected. The Elders had greeted the sighting of GTVA probes with open arms, and in spite of a Fedayeen (the paramilitary black ops unit reporting directly to the Elders, often - and arguably correctly - labeled 'state sponsored terrorists' by the GTVA) report suggesting that the probes were stuffed with sophisticated ELINT gear, prepared no military contingencies for the GTVA’s arrival.

Quote from: The Rift
The Vasudans, however, stubbornly maintained that prophetic abilities amongst their species (including those once claimed by members of the Hammer of Light) were in fact the result of communion with powerful alien beings (The term ‘supernatural’ is never used in Vasudan mythology; the Vasudan view is that anything which occurs is natural and scientific). Ironically, this attitude towards ‘higher powers’ is not dissimilar to that adopted by some factions of the Ubuntu Party Elders.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:38:06 pm by Snail »

Offline -Norbert-

this attitude towards ‘higher powers’ is not dissimilar to that adopted by some factions of the Ubuntu Party Elders.
For me that doesn't sound at all like the Eldar are actually communicating with any higher beings, just that they share the same beliefes about them with the Vasudans.
I certainly wouldn't call the ability to communicate an "attitude".

And we know nothing at all about the activities of the UEF black ops, just a little piece of GTVA propaganda. To say they have to stop that "terrorism" when we don't even know what they are really doing, is going very far....

Offline Droid803

If the HoL are any indication, being able to communicate with higher powers doesn't help much.
(´・ω・`)

The fluff states that while the GTVA is the one calling the Fedayeen "state-sponsored terrorists", it also says that the label could be argued to be correct.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Snail

• SC 5
this attitude towards ‘higher powers’ is not dissimilar to that adopted by some factions of the Ubuntu Party Elders.
For me that doesn't sound at all like the Eldar are actually communicating with any higher beings, just that they share the same beliefes about them with the Vasudans.
I certainly wouldn't call the ability to communicate an "attitude".
Given the mystical elements of the Blue Planet storyline. I'd basically say it's a given.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Wow, I go to work and my comment sparks a huge debate.

I can't really add much to my fellow GTVA supporters, they've said it far more eloquently than I could.

Oh, I would point out that the success of Bosch's ETAK project is... questionable at best. Certainly he caused something, but god (Volition) only knows what it actually was.

Aye, perhaps it is the Vishnans influencing the Ubuntu, but that, in my opinion, is even more reason to purge that government. Humanity should be free to choose and if needs be carve it's own path, not forced by some wishy-washy mystical xenos.

And if the Vishnans are psychic beings (And all the proof suggests this) then that's even less reason for them to be allowed to get away with influencing us. Where do you demark the line from 'guidance' to outright control?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:22:14 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp