Author Topic: [FA] - Getting the ball rolling  (Read 33857 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
[FA] - Getting the ball rolling
Originally posted by Mongoose
Singh, I have a question regarding the second campaign, particularly the sixth mission that I'm going to be working on.  Am I correct in understanding that the GTVA has found another node in the nebula that can lead to either Capella or Gamma Draconis, depending on the subspace configuration?  And is this node near the Knossos that the Sathanes are coming through?  I just wanted to make sure that the mission should be in the nebula; things are a little unclear.  Also, is the first subspace mission supposed to take place during the intersystem jump between the nebula and Gamma Draconis?  With the wording, I almost thought it was during an intrasystem jump, which wouldn't make any sense, seeing as how those are almost instantaneous.

One more question :P.  Do you just want one wing of ships, Alpha wing?  That's the idea I get from the description.  Also, I'm assuming that they wouldn't have access to Erinyes/Kayser technology, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It is indeed inside the Nebula, and yes, it is near the knossos. The subspace jump is from the Neb to Gamma Draconis, (although it ends at Capella, due to the instability) :)

edit: almost forgot. Kaysers will be available, but definately no Erinyes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 11:29:15 pm by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
ok, now for my mission (7, campaign 1). Im not totaly sure about the enviroment. Is the ship that the player has to disable, heading for capella? which would mean the player would be in EP or is it the other way around?

And is there anything that is present in the main campaign, that i should add into the mission?? (eg. reaseach lab, that could've been mentioned, suns, previously used  backgrounds, etc...? or something like that)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 06:40:13 am by 1659 »

Offline mr.WHO

I'm not sure but there was a bug in one FS_open. When you're at subspace there was a problem with background. Is it fixed in 3.5.5?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What was the problem? Describe it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline mr.WHO

Well, when I have no target then I see only a background( no ships) but when I target something then the backgound become totaly black but I see ships. It was in Infeno build and one normal FS_open.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It used to happen to me. I don't know how I managed to solve it by now.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline mr.WHO

It's something with fs2_open356.vp file, when I removed it everything looks fine, but no new effects(like engines) :( where I can find new media vp. file?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem was an FS2_Open one not a FRED one :)

The media.vp files are available from the wiki

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/media%20VP
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mr.WHO

Everything is fine now, thanks. :)
maybe it's a stupid qestion but what I need to know, to (how) do a red alert mission (it will be my first)? Is it at FRED tutorial?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
No need for Tutorial. :D
The first mission should have an event using the 'red-alert' SEXP. It changes to the next mission that is set to be the next in the branch of the campaign. The second/third missions should have the 'Red Alert' flag set in the SHIFT-N wndow.
That's it. On a side note, you can set the 'Red Alert Carry Status' flag to a ship in the Misc option of the Ship selection window. It says that a ship will appear in the condition it ended previous mission in the next mission.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
TopAce forgot to mention it but you need to make a campaign file to test red alert missions. They won't work from the simulator.

Offline mr.WHO

Somebody wants to make me hate to subspace, next problem.
When I select subspace at background editor and then I want to save the mission, it showing me an error and crashind FRED(3.5.5):
Can't open palatte file
File: E:\Languages\Visual studio projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Palman\PalMan.cpp
line:342
HELP!!! or I'll gone mad :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Is the MediaVP faulty?
turn on the -fredhtl flag.

Offline mr.WHO

When I press Error checker it shows me no error but when I try to save or load it the FRED is crashing :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by mr.WHO
Somebody wants to make me hate to subspace, next problem.
When I select subspace at background editor and then I want to save the mission, it showing me an error and crashind FRED(3.5.5):
Can't open palatte file
File: E:\Languages\Visual studio projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Palman\PalMan.cpp
line:342
HELP!!! or I'll gone mad :)

It shouldn't be giving you this error as the bug was solved in FS2 a long time ago but try this. Get an 8-bit PCX from a mod or by extracting it from a vp and call it gamepalette-subspace.pcx. Put it in the data\effects folder.

Offline mr.WHO

At last, thanks karajorma, I don't know what would I do without you.
To bad that I'm from other side of europe, because could send you a box of beer :)
Thanks again.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by karajorma

It shouldn't be giving you this error as the bug was solved in FS2 a long time ago but try this. Get an 8-bit PCX from a mod or by extracting it from a vp and call it gamepalette-subspace.pcx. Put it in the data\effects folder.

I also wanted to advise this, I simply did not want to say 'Use rather retail stuff instead of SCP ones.' because I would have got a terrible amount of flame.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Was there any point to that at all TopAce?  He's working on an SCP campaign, he's using SCP Fred.  Makes perfect sense to me.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by TopAce
I also wanted to advise this, I simply did not want to say 'Use rather retail stuff instead of SCP ones.' because I would have got a terrible amount of flame.

And you'd deserve it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 04:08:04 pm by 340 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by StratComm
Was there any point to that at all TopAce?  He's working on an SCP campaign, he's using SCP Fred.  Makes perfect sense to me.

You know, your beloved FRED_Open cannot catch up with the development of the FS engine itself. Even the newest FREDs are unable to read JPG files. There should be a PCX file anyway. :p I don't know how much time the JPG-TGA support has been implemented, but I am pretty sure the SCPers had enough time to have FRED support it.