Author Topic: Custom Mission Roles Gauge v0.4  (Read 6902 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Custom Mission Roles Gauge v0.4
Current Version 0.4
Released June 17, 2020

Custom Mission Roles HUD Gauge v0.4

Background:
Have you ever been playing a mission and completely forgot what each squadron or ship was supposed to do because you didn't take notes during the briefing? Wouldn't it be nice if the mission designer allowed you a cheat sheet to look at on the HUD? If you answered yes, then you should tell the mission designer about this script!

Description:
This script allows modders/FREDers to create a HUD gauge that shows mission roles. The script displays a simple HUD gauge that shows a list of names, followed by a respective description. The FREDer can use lua sexps to add or remove entries from list at any point in the mission, and the gauge will display those changes.

Insallation:
Go to the link: here
Download and copy the `cus_role_gauge-sexp.tbm` and `cus_role_gauge-sct.tbm` files into your mod's `data/tables` folder.

Useage:
Run FRED, and you will see a new sexps to add or remove entries to the list ("Change"->"Script_Action"). To set more specific parameters like gauge location on the HUD, simply open the script file in a text editor and change the `User Options` values. Don't worry if you aren't comfortable with editing script files, the `User Options` all have descriptions and are easy to change.   

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:42:24 am by wookieejedi »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Custom Mission Roles Gauge v0.1
This is interesting ... it might have more uses if you skip the briefing completely or in mods that have more "universalist" fighters than FS

I will give it a whirl some time down the line
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This is absolutely useful and a welcome addition.  Remember all the creative stuff Derelict did with retail?  I'm sure this role guage can be used equally creatively. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Just gave it a spin and came across this error upon starting the mission after the briefing stage.

Code: [Select]
Invalid font index 4 specified, must be between 1 and 3!

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: ?
[string "cus_role_gauge-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:100: in function 'Draw'
[string "cus_role_gauge-sct.tbm - On HUD Draw"]:205: in main chunk

1: Userdata [Fonts]
2: Number [4.000000]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Fonts.tbl might be required - I mean the examples use the FotG-HUD font.

EDIT: or it might be required for the version of script as-is; it might also be a simple oversight with regards of the index (you know 0 base index....)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:34:51 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline wookieejedi

Ah right, I forgot to change the fonts from 4/6 to 1/3. I just updated the script and it should work now! No custom fonts needed. Alternatively, if you use a recent nightly then this issue will also go away (as I fixed that bug in the engine a month or so ago, too).  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:51:33 am by wookieejedi »

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: Custom Mission Roles Gauge v0.2
All's good now!

Offline wookieejedi

Re: Custom Mission Roles Gauge v0.4
New version out that expands the custom sexp functionality by allowing FREDers to change the title, separator character, update entries, add number entries (including variables), clear the entire list, and add/update/remove entries in bulk. Also cleaned up a few code framework aspects.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm sad that nobody else has heaped praise on this..
New version out that expands the custom sexp functionality by allowing FREDers to change the title, separator character, update entries, add number entries (including variables), clear the entire list, and add/update/remove entries in bulk. Also cleaned up a few code framework aspects.

Not everyone is script savvy and this allows fredders tonnes of creativity if they're not script au fait,  thank you 👍👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Sweet! Anything that provides info and helps maintain situational awareness gets a yes from me :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks, glad it's helpful for folks :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I've just stumbled upon this and wow, this seems to merge into one viable tool many of the ideas I had back in the day for INFA's expanded HUD, several of which will find their use in SR. Before I download it and give it a try, a few questions: are there any known bugs I should be aware of? Is the "Object" field an open one where I can mention ships/entities which are not on the field of battle? Does the number of lines have a limit?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline wookieejedi

No known current bugs, but if you do come across any please let me know! To answer your other questions, the entire custom sexp just uses strings, so not actual wing or ship objects. And I do not think there is a limit. Glad it might be helpful!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I confirm this is an extremely useful script. :)

May I suggest expanding its related SEXPs in order to allow FREDders to edit the RGB values for displayed texts and numbers? For example, it may prove useful to mark the most critical orders in red, relevant (but not critical) orders in yellow, and so on.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]