Author Topic: Bear Biting, Sathanases and Turrets oh my  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Bear Biting, Sathanases and Turrets oh my
The E: This topic was originally created by a bot using the following text copied from the subreddit:
I'm playing the mission "Bear Baiting" from the Freespace 2 campaign, using the FSO MediaVPs. For some reason, it seems like I can hardly damage the beam turrets; shooting them deals one point of damage after about thirty seconds, and I need to use half my Helios torpedos to destroy one. None of my allies seem to be actually bombing, despite me telling them to disarm the target. Anything I'm missing?

Beat level, managed to figure out the angle to hit the beams with the torpedos enough to destroy two of them. Not ideal but got me through the level; have since completed the campaign.

I've deleted the bot post, but since this is actually a good discussion, I shall let it stand as-is.

This has been my experience too. Unload double Helios on one turret, call for rearm, then unload on another turret; reload, repeat. Don't bother firing Trebuchets, it just wastes time while the support ship reloads them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:14:03 am by The E »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Bear Biting, Sathanases and Turrets oh my
"Disarm my target" is the wrong order in this mission... because then the wingmates attack every turret of the Sathanas.

Target one beam and order "Destroy my subsystem" works much better if you destroy another one all by yourself in the mean time. On Insane i have only to destroy one beam as the other three will be destroyed by the AI with proper wing management.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, even in retail a perfect double Helios shot is required to take out one turret. If you play your cards right, you should take out two turrets, park yourself out front and rearm, and then try the other two. You might have time to take out the forward flak cannons with Trenches during the rearm to get the secondary objective, but it doesn't really matter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don’t know if the broken MVP Sathanas turrets were ever fixed; probably they were but I’m not sure. I love Rga’s work in general but putting a hole in the middle of the most notorious turrets in the game big enough for two Helios to fly through was a galaxy brain move.

I know that there was a fixed version as Axems Subspace Sath had them working corretly.

Offline Axem

I did make a "fixed" version for the current MediaVPs (atleast I hoped it was used) where the center point of the turrets is at the base of the turret. But even then at a bad angle it might still miss. But I am going to add some invisible polygons for the upcoming MediaVPs release so you'll always get a hit.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I always take out the turrets myself.  I order my wingmen to go for the forward Flak guns to get the seconrdary objective.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I did make a "fixed" version for the current MediaVPs (atleast I hoped it was used) where the center point of the turrets is at the base of the turret. But even then at a bad angle it might still miss. But I am going to add some invisible polygons for the upcoming MediaVPs release so you'll always get a hit.
That might actually make it more reasonable than retail.  I remember my most common outcome being the bomb salvo knocking the turret down to 12%, and then having to spam a few Trebs to finish the job.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
From my experiences, the "upper" two turrets will be knocked down to 10ish % integrity with a good dual Helios hit, but the lower ones should go down without the need to finish them off.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I usually hit them with 3 Trebs prior to the dual Helios.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Axem's fix is in the upcoming FSU release. If that doesn't work, I'm blaming your aim. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, so just so y'all are aware: The OP of this thread was a bot; he belongs to an entire family of bots (all, conveniently, named Gomes) that have dedicated themselves to copying the OP from the FS subreddit. Since there's an actually useful discussion here, I shall let the topic stand (although I will be excising the OP; don't want to let it spread its sig links).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That is an oddly specific and, dare I say, useful service for a bot.

I think it's possible to add reddit feed to Discord, but I'm not entirely sure.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is an oddly specific and, dare I say, useful service for a bot.

Personally, I think a bot reposting a post about difficulties in finishing bearbaiting is perhaps a bit too specific :P
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns