Author Topic: Freespace as a niche series  (Read 4723 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Freespace as a niche series
As for Black Prophecy, it's another online mutiplayer game, so nothing I'd be interested in (again, luduciriously expensive, no singleplayer storyline, no modding, and you have to keep paying to keep playing).

It's quite impressive how much wrongness you managed to fit into one sentence there. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
yeah it's funny, i didn't like mmos but then posts like that make me think the anti-mmo crowd simply have no idea what they're on about and are just running in circles

MMOs absorb more of your time (in a good way) meaning you have to spend less on other games because you finish them in 2 hours.
While I was playing WoW during vanilla, I spent less on games that I did for years before that (and it was a decent year for games too), and, the moment I stopped playing, BOOM, back to +-400GBP/year on games.

MMOs aren't expensive.
They can easily include storyline if they like, and it be 'single player' centric, they are often far more expansive, good MMOs aim to be massively moddable, WoW has a HUGE Mod community, enough to fill HLP a thousand times over I expect, and again, even if you pay (I dunno.. what's the most expensive MMO I can think of...) 10? GBP a month, that's easily less than what I spend on games a year and I will spend far less on games BECAUSE I'm playing the MMO.

Neocron did the same to me too, and AO.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I was referring to how Black Prophecy has been announced as being free to play.

As long as they sort things out so that those playing for free can have fun but make enough money from those who want the coolest stuff they should be golden.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Damn, black prophecy looks awesome. I wonder what happened to that other game, Naumachia, was it?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It was a competition between simple and fast, or complex and deep - the former won out, because that's what the greater majority of people want to play.

The mistake many make, however, is that they assume that the only way to make money is to pander to the masses and make yet another shooter. There is still a relatively large amount of people who want complex gameplay or want to play a space game or a flight "sim" (HAWX, while not a sim, sold over a million copies) - it's just that if you look at the numbers, the amount of people playing games vs the amount of people who would want to buy a more complex or difficult game is rather discouraging; there's like 10 million Halo players vs. 500,000 space gamers or whatever. What many people forget is that 500,000 is still a very large number - at $40 a game, that's $20,000,000 worth of profit.

IMO this is where the door is opened for indie devs to really rock the industry and their own wallets.

Black Prophecy is being made by the same people who made Neocron (NC2 is currently also free-to-play).

UT: 500,000 if /everyone/ who likes the genre buys it, also, 40x500,000 may = 20,000,000 but that's not profit :p
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Black Prophecy is being made by the same people who made Neocron (NC2 is currently also free-to-play).

UT: 500,000 if /everyone/ who likes the genre buys it, also, 40x500,000 may = 20,000,000 but that's not profit :p

Yea, but I guarantee you there's more than 500,000 people out there who like space combat, and I bet you that most of that 500,000 will be made up of people who buy it because they're tired of playing shooters. Plus, if you're an indie dev, your development costs basically equal 0 (disregarding the price of your personal computer and whatever software you use), so that $20,000,000 goes straight to pocket (well, and the IRS).

Offline Vip

I have been a devoted fan of the PCs for a whole decade. However, I decided that I deserved something for working off my ass in high school, and so I ordered my parents to buy me a PS3. So, having experienced both worlds, I believe I have a good view on the issue here.

The PC is still awesome - it has better graphics than any console will ever have, even if we're talking about a port from a console. Something among the lines of FS2 with all the shiny SCP graphics or Crysis is just unreachable for X-Box or PS3. The ability to mod games is also a great thing. And don't even get me started on all the various things beside gaming that you can do on a PC... Also, PC games cost like 50% less than their console counterparts (God bless Poland :D).

And it's also a common myth that PCs cost a lot to maintain. Thanks to the consoles and the fact that all games are catered for them, even a moderate rig can still play games on high details. I bought a Core2Duo @2,66GHz, GeForce 8800GT and 2GB RAM machine almost 3 years ago for about $400-500. I haven't changed a thing in it all this time, except for the gfx card which got broken - it got upgraded (for free !) to 9800GT because the shop didn't have any more 8800GTs. I am yet to find a game that would beat this rig - I can play almost everything on full details, maybe just reducing shadow quality every now and then a bit. But the games still look helluva better than their console version - Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are the prime examples.

What I have to give to the consoles is their ease of use. I must admit, that there are times when I'd rather buy a console game, because of the ease of installation. You just put the disc in the drive, wait till it gets installed and you play it. On PC, you have to configure it and possibly mess around with the config files to get even better performance, at the same time worrying about stupid DRM (Ubisoft, I am looking at you !), system specs, whether the game was designed for ATI or nVidia card, etc. And then the game may just randomly crash, because Windows decided that it's a good time for a crash or because the designers didn't test the game on every possible PC configuration. When compared to the consoles, it almost seems that playing on PC is a gamble :P

And, last but not least, the very way of playing differs. Maybe it's only me, but I get really involved when I play PC games. I sit close to the monitor, desperately twisting my joystick to get that one last Dragon in FS2 before it can blast my remaining 2% of hull. I desperately move my mouse to hit that damn tentacle in Dead Space. I stop breathing for a few seconds when I aim with my sniper rifle in Mass Effect.
And on consoles ? I lie on sofa, lazily moving my thumbs and pressing buttons while I play on a 40" LCD TV that is quite far from me. It's almost like watching a TV. The only moment when you become more active is when you have to mash buttons like a madman in some QTE.

Summary - gaming on consoles requires less effort and is easier = gaming becomes more accessible = more people play it = the devs get more money. Gaming has become yet another entertainment and lost a lot of its nerdy and geeky status.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
I really like and agree with your post...

What I have to give to the consoles is their ease of use. I must admit, that there are times when I'd rather buy a console game, because of the ease of installation. You just put the disc in the drive, wait till it gets installed and you play it. On PC, you have to configure it and possibly mess around with the config files to get even better performance, at the same time worrying about stupid DRM (Ubisoft, I am looking at you !), system specs, whether the game was designed for ATI or nVidia card, etc. And then the game may just randomly crash, because Windows decided that it's a good time for a crash or because the designers didn't test the game on every possible PC configuration. When compared to the consoles, it almost seems that playing on PC is a gamble :P

And, last but not least, the very way of playing differs. Maybe it's only me, but I get really involved when I play PC games. I sit close to the monitor, desperately twisting my joystick to get that one last Dragon in FS2 before it can blast my remaining 2% of hull. I desperately move my mouse to hit that damn tentacle in Dead Space. I stop breathing for a few seconds when I aim with my sniper rifle in Mass Effect.
And on consoles ? I lie on sofa, lazily moving my thumbs and pressing buttons while I play on a 40" LCD TV that is quite far from me. It's almost like watching a TV. The only moment when you become more active is when you have to mash buttons like a madman in some QTE.

...especially these two parts. :yes:

In fact, when I sit down to play with my PC, I know in advance that I will be playing most with the system than with my game, tweaking some stuff, testing new mods for the various games I have.
Unlike with my console : like you, I'm on my sofa playing comfortably. But I felt sometime thrills while playing (Silent Hill 2  :shaking:). And we are active (with my friends) when we play some RockBand, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Wii Sports... Sometimes I wake up the next day with pain in my arms due to "too convinced gaming"  :lol:
I think that playing with console is more a group distraction, more...social. I play "social" with my PC only on LAN. I know about the MMORPG, or others community games, but I like playing alone with my PC and with several people on console.

FreeSpace  screen-splitted ?
Don't hit me.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Yea, but I guarantee you there's more than 500,000 people out there who like space combat, and I bet you that most of that 500,000 will be made up of people who buy it because they're tired of playing shooters. Plus, if you're an indie dev, your development costs basically equal 0 (disregarding the price of your personal computer and whatever software you use), so that $20,000,000 goes straight to pocket (well, and the IRS).
Distro, logistics, promotion, anyone other than you working on it, assets if needed, etc etc.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
It is also true that if the FreeSpace series had the recognition it deserved, perhaps we would not be here to discuss ... But we would have had the joy of knowing the end of the story!

A blessing in disguise?
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Vip

I really like and agree with your post...

cut

...especially these two parts. :yes:

In fact, when I sit down to play with my PC, I know in advance that I will be playing most with the system than with my game, tweaking some stuff, testing new mods for the various games I have.
Unlike with my console : like you, I'm on my sofa playing comfortably. But I felt sometime thrills while playing (Silent Hill 2  :shaking:). And we are active (with my friends) when we play some RockBand, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Wii Sports... Sometimes I wake up the next day with pain in my arms due to "too convinced gaming"  :lol:

Yeah, of course you can't put every game into the same bag. Console games can be very engaging, both physically (especially when you have motion controls) and emotionally (Silent Hill 2 or Heavy Rain, damn did I get involved in them). It's just that I think that in general, consoles allow you to be more relaxed - the design of the controllers help here. When I fly in FS2 or any other sim on my PC, I tend to move my entire body. Folks at home tend to send me some strange looks because I'm so engaged :P When I play my PS3, I can very well close my eyes and pretend I'm asleep with ease.

Then again, I finished Heavy rain just today and boy, that was exciting. You use the motion sensor in DualShock *A LOT* in this game.

I think that playing with console is more a group distraction, more...social. I play "social" with my PC only on LAN. I know about the MMORPG, or others community games, but I like playing alone with my PC and with several people on console.

One word to support your statement - Wii. This is as social a console can get, IMHO. MMOs or multiplayer games can become really social only if you know the players quite well and preferably have them on your headset.

FreeSpace  screen-splitted ?
Don't hit me.

Well, that would have to be one helluva screen to pull this off - you need to be quite precise when for example taking out capship turrets with Maxims. And I'm not sure if the game's atmosphere and stuff are suited for splitscreen, though it's of course IMHO. What I'd love to have is a co-op campaign. Let's be honest, how many times have you wished your wingmen were a bit smarter ? (yes, I know that Fury AI helps a lot, but it's still not the same)
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
DON'T.
YOU.
DARE.
:hopping:
Compare FreeSpace to EVE.  The only thing they have in common is that they take place in space.  EVE players will knife you if they get the chance.  The only way to win in EVE is not to play.

**** you man. I was okay with your spouting bull**** in the other thread, but now we're down to personal insults for myself and my wife both. You could have at least pointed out some of the valid differences.

The knife you if they get the chance thing is more or less true of both games now, if you've even glanced at the CoW or BP campaigns.

As long as they sort things out so that those playing for free can have fun but make enough money from those who want the coolest stuff they should be golden.

Never been done effectively. :P People will drop huge, ridiculous amounts of money on it, basically. Neveron died because people were willing to spend thousands of bucks to dominate the game. Someone dropped over 100 large to build an alliance out of whole cloth in EVE. The insanity of us monkeys at the keyboard breaks the systems.

Unless you count KoL, but that's not very multiplayer.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:34:58 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
DON'T.
YOU.
DARE.
Compare FreeSpace to EVE.  The only thing they have in common is that they take place in space.  EVE players will knife you if they get the chance.  The only way to win in EVE is not to play.

okay so this makes it sound as if you are a chump who got owned particularly badly through some fault of your own and now you are butthurt

probably not the impression you want to make

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EVE is like playing an office simulator in space. It's so realistic that it even simulates the really boring parts of space travel, where you spend hours flying between destinations and doing repetitive tasks over and over again.

The only way to make EVE more realistic would be to let you play video games on a terminal inside your spaceship.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
DON'T.
YOU.
DARE.

okay so this makes it sound as if you are a chump who got owned particularly badly through some fault of your own and now you are butthurt

probably not the impression you want to make
Musta missed the part where I said I trusted someone in there and he sicked his goons on me.  Also, my not have been paying attention over the whole time I've ever been posting on here where I don't give out my trust easily or often.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
EVE is like playing an office simulator in space. It's so realistic that it even simulates the really boring parts of space travel, where you spend hours flying between destinations and doing repetitive tasks over and over again.

The only way to make EVE more realistic would be to let you play video games on a terminal inside your spaceship.

Aye. Eve Online features a purchasable "CPU Upgrade". If only that aided in the playing of minigames ingame!

I can see Eve as interesting if you're into spending years just learning a game. As I mentioned in another thread, I tried liking this game, but every at single turn, every single time I tried doing something that might be interpreted as "fun", my ship would be destroyed, and more boredom would be shoveled on top of the already tedious gameplay(making money for a new ship, in order to repeat this process). Then I made an entire alliance angry at me because I called them something in the local chat. Funny story actually: The system my corporation was based at was held by a neutral alliance. It saw regular pirate attacks, and the pirates apparently called the neutral ones "blobsters". Of course I didn't know that at the time, so I assumed it was just a nickname for them. So when I saw local chat swarmed with friendly ships, I wanted to be friendly, and I said "Hello blobsters". Then I was accused of being a pirate, then an alternate account. Particularly hilarious was the fact that the actual pirates got involved in the chat and told them that me and my corporation wasn't part of them.

I think that was actually the most fun I've ever had in Eve. And that was boring! Spreadsheet in space. :lol: