Author Topic: Spaceforce Rogue Universe next try at FS3?  (Read 6348 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Spaceforce Rogue Universe next try at FS3?
Sorry...what does this have to do with FS3? Its another try at a space combat game.  Thats relevant but FS3 not so much.

Looks interesting but a bit cheesy...
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Looks interesting but REALLY cheesy...

fix'd
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Looks interesting but REALLY cheesy...

fix'd
Ahh thanks...no idea what came over me :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

:lol:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the weapon effects, the ships, it all looks like something that could be done in FSO, and I don't mean comparable, I mean if someone told me that was FSO, I'd be like 'yeah, it certainly looks that way'.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Ditto
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I got it over Steam, it's very close to freelancer, there's enough to make you think that you are playing a seriously uprated Freelancer engine. The graphics are nice, but suffer from terrible 'Bloom' attacks, where you can hardly see a thing for all the glints, reflections and glows. That said, the texturing work leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of cases, a lot of the stations lack texture AND model detail, and lod-jumping is pretty visible sometimes.

That said, the game isn't bad from what I've played of it, it's extremely hard at the moment, but quite fun to play if you were ok with Freelancer.

Oh, and the full version supports Joystick as well as Mouse :)

Edit: I just wanted to add, from a personal point of view, ships with Red and Yellow 'flames' coming out of the engines should be left in the days of Flash Gordon.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 08:02:56 pm by Flipside »

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Bite your tongue, cause he's comming back in August sometime... And God help me if Sci-Fi screws this one up... (at least they aren't going after Rogers...Yet!)

As much as I liked Freelancer for gameplay (the mods afterward didn't really do anything for me though) nothing caused me to lose interest more than the lack of a joystick. By the time I finished the game I heard of a workaround (I think?) but I was done with it... I just prefer my space combat to be with a joystick...

Plus if it's a pain in the arse to mod (or not very many options) then I would think it would seriously hurt replay value...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, from many points, it's quite easy to mod, it uses unarchived .X models and .dds textures, all that's really needed is instructions on how to define gun-points etc, which I haven't bothered to look for yet.

And the full version DOES support Joystick. That doesn't make it a better game, but it does support it.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Been playing it for a while now, errr.. I'll agree, theres a LOT that needs fixing on it.

Enemy ships seem to have an endless supply of missiles, kind of odd when you consider that your level defines how many missiles you can have loaded onto your own ship. As was mentioned earlier, having any ship that isn't friendly attack you personally makes doing missions incredibly hard, since you go through about 3 battles to get from system entrance to the mission itself,  it means it's actually pretty profitable just to fly around in a safer system and farm pirates.

Also, the savegame system is... odd, it kind of saves what system you are in, but if you are halfway through a battle and you store and restart the game, you appear at the system entrance, but still with the battle damage.

I just get the feeling this is a game that will start out incredibly hard and you'll end up with the Uber-ship of death by the end of the storyline, and then it'll get boring, similar to Freelancer in that respect.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sorry...what does this have to do with FS3? Its another try at a space combat game.  Thats relevant but FS3 not so much.

Looks interesting but a bit cheesy...

For some reason the general fad for people these days is to assume that any new space sim coming out is somehow trying to beat/become FS3.

As for the game itself...the combat looks boring, and I think I just heard the worst line ever in a trailer "Just blast something in a swirling asteroid field...".

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The dialogue is pretty cheesy throughout, there's lines like 'he found his hand clenched into a fist whenever his mind ran through those green fields'. I think it's more a case of translation than bad writing, there's quite a few grammar and spelling and, most notably, context problems throughout, you'll get Galactic News reports like 'The system has discovered a large deposit of gold', but, grammar aside, it doesn't actually say which system, I assume the local one, but it's never really made clear.

It's got potential, but it stops there, at the moment it kind of reminds me of 'Oblivion in Space', but with more wash-repeat and less varied storylines. The 1.1 Patch in development seems to be set on fixing the most notable gameplay problems, so lets hope later ones address the content a bit more heavily.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:46:37 pm by Flipside »