Author Topic: Updated Omega  (Read 22420 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I actually think the EA beam effect looks good, what's your problem with it?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
I actually think the EA beam effect looks good, what's your problem with it?
It looks good Vidmaster, really good, don't get me wrong. But It could looks perfect.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
wow! that picture will look great with the new Slasher's normal map for the omega texture.
the model could be just percfect combined with those normals, excelent work Col. Fishguts! Still WIP? do you use the original texture map?

Edit: one thing, is not about the model, just a quick fix texture issue. The fighter bay here is red, and in almost all the render image I have. But in the show is more like orange.
And the nova have not color on it. Just a detail.

Since this model has been re-uv-mapped completely (to use less individual maps), normal maps need to be done from scratch (a process which I've already started).

Concenring the light in the fighterbay, if you look at screencaps, it was somtimes more red and sometimes more orange... and sometimes it was switched off. Since I prefer the deeper red version, that's what it will be.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Did you considered make occlusion maps for the model and add it to the diffuse map? The results could be awesome
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
So, after a longer hiatus due to RL, the geometry is now complete and ingame, including all LODs, debris and destroyed versions of all subsystems.

I'm still working on the normal maps and all the different nameplate versions. But in the meantime, here's a beta version for public testing.
It's a nameless version and the textures have placeholder names, so that there's no interference with the texture-replacement feature of existing missions.

Download ZIP

EDIT for clarification: This is a drop-in replacement for the original model. Simply extract the POF file to /data/models and the DDS files to /data/maps
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:48:10 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I am not exactly sure what's the policy for using models outside TBP. I heard it was restricted. Is it still the case ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well if he redid the model he has the right to give permission to use it.  If it's a rework of the old one then unless you can figure out who did the original and get permission it's TBP use only. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I am not exactly sure what's the policy for using models outside TBP. I heard it was restricted. Is it still the case ?

Wat? You're probably referring to IPAndrews temperamental statement that TBP3.4b was final and not to be touched/modified. Be that as it may, it's not up to a single member of such a collaborative project to decide which assets can be used by others.

For example, contributions to the original Omega:

- Modeled by tomcat (who just recently released all his assets to the public)
- Textured by Cpt White or tomcat (not sure anymore)
- Glowmaps and specular maps by me
- Reconverted with the (then latest) autofacet PCS build for better smoothing by me and IPAndrews
- Glowpoints by Skullar (IIRC)

So, who should get the power to decide who can use it outside of TBP... all of us, none of us? As far as I'm concerned, we stick to the old TBP policy, that assets can be used elsewhere, as long as proper credit is given. This worked fine in the past (there's a GalCivII mod using TBP models for example), and was back then also agreed by IPA.

For the record, this version here recycles some geometry and textures from the original. And as long as the maker of the original textures has no objections, can be used freely. If he has, I'll remake the damn textures from scratch.

Offline Slasher

My first time to stop by in a couple months and what a day.  That looks stellar!  Your work really paid off.

Just tried it out in game and it works flawlessly.  I didn't have time to explode it or nuke subsystems but I'll be trying that as soon as possible.  Am I to take it from the description that subsystems won't disappear when they reach 0%?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:49:21 pm by Slasher »

Offline Slasher

I like the way the ship breaks up like the Pollux did in No Surrender, No Retreat and how the constituent pieces are still recognizable. 

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
As far as I'm concerned, we stick to the old TBP policy, that assets can be used elsewhere, as long as proper credit is given. This worked fine in the past (there's a GalCivII mod using TBP models for example), and was back then also agreed by IPA.
The problem is, he decided, at some point, that TBP assets are not to be used outside TBP unless explicit permission is given by the original author (all old permissions still hold). A rather childish action, if you ask me, but they were already rather outdated at this point anyway. Zatharas stuff and HTLs are excerpt from this though, having nothing to do with IPA and not being made for the "main" TBP.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Roger. Thanks for clearing this up a bit. If Zathras stuff is available for public use I should start updating the wiki with them !

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I wouldn't trust Dragon on that. To be honest I think he's flat out wrong. But if he has access to some information on why Zathras stuff is okay to use I'm not privy to, I'd like to hear it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Blargh. Then I'd really like to have an official answer to this :<

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I gave the official answer already.  Unless you can track down all who worked on a model and get permission then it is TBP only. 

Now in this case if Col. Fishguts list is correct IPA is out of the loop (for this version of the model not the 3.4b one) as the model has been modified and converted by him now. 
Tomcat just released all his models to the community so that is 2 down.
Pretty sure Skullar wouldn't mind so that is 3. 

That just leaves the possibility of Cpt White.  If someone can dig up an answer on his work then you have your answer.

This is a good example of why we stick with the TBP only answer when we don't know.  There is little or no tracking on who did what to even find out who to ask for permission. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:03:13 am by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I wouldn't trust Dragon on that. To be honest I think he's flat out wrong. But if he has access to some information on why Zathras stuff is okay to use I'm not privy to, I'd like to hear it.
Well, some time ago (shortly after the first Zatharas release) I did ask if the Zatharas stuff is OK to use outside TBP and got a positive answer. It was a long time ago, so something might've changed, but I haven't seen anything that would hint at Zatharas stuff being restricted the same way TBP stuff is. Of course, given that this Omega uses a TBP model as a basis (AFAIK, not the case with the rest of Zatharas), it might be somewhat different from it (IIRC, all previous HTLs have been completely original).

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Given that much of Zathras is fixed and resaved TBP data, I can't see how that could have been the case.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I'm not sure about the permission of using the assets publicly, but I was under the impression that the whole point of Zathras was to bypass IPA preventing TBP assets from being fixed and updated. I thought that Zathras was a response to IPA's childishness.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not quite. IPA had the opinion that TBP 3.4 should be final and never updated to 3.5 or 4 so as to prevent developers always having to FRED for a moving target.

Zathras was a way to do that and also fix TBP so that those people who did want a more modern engine and models could without having to alter the core. It was never an attempt to replace all of TBP's assets with new ones he hadn't touched. It may one day reach that goal if we're very, very lucky but that was never the plan.

Offline wesp5

Not quite. IPA had the opinion that TBP 3.4 should be final and never updated to 3.5 or 4 so as to prevent developers always having to FRED for a moving target.

Well, as I don't think there are any new campaigns in the making, his opinion may have been right all those years ago, but it doesn't matter anymore right now...