Author Topic: Civil War Campaign !  (Read 10031 times)

Offline Skullar

Civil War Campaign !
>>>  NOW OR NEVER <<<

Alright people, this is it, this is probably the last push to get things going on the EACW campaign. There is no active team, so I will take things into my hands to see if you are willing to sign up to participate in THE campaign of the TBP GAME !

I have uploaded our preliminary website on my server space. Its lame, so if ANYONE here is willing to host the campaign site and provide access, please notify me. ( about 2.5 MB )

Take a preview here : http://free.pages.at/skullar
Note : The website is NOT updated , some links ( like to TBP main or to forum ) are out of date

So, I am familiar with the campaign ( I wrote it ) , and I can brief you all regarding the concept. Since no one is willing to do it, I am volunteering to maintain the overall overview .

So , if you have any questions, feel free to ask :

Skullar ( Michael Rauch )
email : [email protected]

There may be a DEVELOPMENT CHAT this sunday . Feel free to make requests about the exact timestamp.

Note : FREDDERS should read some of the scripts to get a feeling for the characters and the storyline,
2d/3d artists should contact me regarding cutscenes and Command briefing anis ( our special way of doing cutscenes , see the website )

have to go now.... be back later today or tomottow morning....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:45:54 pm by Skullar »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Civil War Campaign !
Skullar,
once I'm done with AotB (2-3 weeks from now on) I'll do the best I can to FRED in this campaign!
Is that a word?

about hosting and stuff you might ask the guys at Stargame for web-space and a fourm.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
...There is no active team...
rly? :nervous:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have uploaded our preliminary website on my server space. Its lame, so if ANYONE here is willing to host the campaign site and provide access, please notify me. ( about 2.5 MB )
You know, you could use TBP's HLP FTP-account but that account is only for TBP staff, not for general public. If you'd want to use it but are missing login information contact me, IPAndrews or just about any other staff member.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
If you'd want to use it but are missing login information contact me, IPAndrews or just about any other staff member.

He did ask me but I never know which one we're supposed to be using. We've had so many FTP accounts I keep losing track.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Unless you're still using stithe's ftp, it's the one with hard-light.net in it... :p

It will be cool seeing Omegas and Novas ramming each other.  cooooool.

Damn, how I wish I could help. All I can do is do story related writing and checking (Eg: in-universe continuity) and voice acting, anything FRED apart from placing ships (and then beam free all'ing them)makes my head spin.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
[...] Writing and checking (Eg: in-universe continuity) [...] voice acting [...] FRED apart from placing ships [...]

that's already something we could need
although the first thing is done as far as I can tell....
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

that's already something we could need
although the first thing is done as far as I can tell....

Aw... Ah well, the first and second ones are my favourite choices. If it helps in anyway just let me know.

EDIT: I've always wanted to do VA work for an Omega class captain, they're my favourite ships in B5.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:42:04 am by Azrael15 »

Offline n003lb

I would be willing to help any way I can on this, if you want me.  I've been away from Freespace for a looong time now.  Been probably at least 3 or 4 years since I played it last.  Just discovered FS2_Open a couple weeks ago and been trying find time to play it and TBP since.

I had a rather extensive campaign I was working on back around '99 or '00 that I had completly made myself.  It revolved around a new Orion DD in a fictitious second war between the Terrans and Vasudans.  It had all total about 80+ missions that intertwined a great deal.  Basically, I wanted a campaign in which no matter how the mission ended (unless you die), the campaign continued.  None of this "Primary Objective failed, replay the mission" crap.  Almost every mission ended no matter how the objectives played out.  I used an initial objective that would be completed without any interaction from the player, so no matter what, that objective would be completed and with that, the campaign would go on, even if all the other objectives failed.  Then, I would control which mission was next based on the objectives completed.  If a key ship was not destroyed, then it would change the next mission to one where that ship comes back or something.  It was very complex and time consuming, since some of the missions might never be played.

Anyway, not to ramble there.  Just saying that I have a fair amount of past experience with FRED, but nothing in the last few years, so it'll require me to relearn it again, and I have no experience with FRED_Open at all.

I'm also willing to help in voice acting or anything else I can help on.  Please email me if you want my help.

address is:  n003lb(AT)yahoo.com

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
That sounds like an awfully big and complex campaign. Personally I struggle with anything more than 16 missions, and I consider myself reasonably good with FRED. It takes a lot of effort to make a well balanced water tight mission.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline n003lb

That sounds like an awfully big and complex campaign. Personally I struggle with anything more than 16 missions, and I consider myself reasonably good with FRED. It takes a lot of effort to make a well balanced water tight mission.

I agree, and that is partly why I never released it to the public.  I never finished it completly, and a lot of the missions were rather weak.  Go blow up ship A and return kind of things.  It also took so much time that I got a bit frustrated with it, and it was part of the reason I stopped playing FS2.  It gets to a point where whenever you play the game, all your looking for is ways to improve it and it takes a lot of the fun from it.  That's a problem whenever you start modding a game.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It's good to have a bit of support. Then you can burn yourself out on a particular mission. Finish maybe 90% of it. Then let someone else come in and do the last 10%. Or even just do another 5% and give you a break from it and then you come back to it later and do the last 5. I admire anyone who can make a campaign on their own. I had a lot of help with RW. So, back on topic, get practicing your FREDing again and contact Skullar if he doesn't get back to you here.

im new on the forums but ive been playing tbp for a little while and this campaign looks great and i am also interested in doing some voiceacting work

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
That's great CaptJack. Learn how to FRED :P.

i looked at the fred stuff its gonna take me a while to learn that stuff

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do the walkthrough. It makes it a lot simpler to understand.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

yeh ill take a look at it

probably a stupid question but where is the walkthrough?