Is capital ship weapon fire damaging enough to fighters

Weapons fire from capital ships isn't damaging enough
18 (72%)
I think it's balanced about right
7 (28%)
Weapons fire from capital sihps is too damaging already
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Capship weapon power poll  (Read 9366 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Capship weapon power poll
You could use $fof: with turret weapons to cause the shots to disperse a bit.. and so to 'simulate' accuracy
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This seems to be a pretty one sided poll. The interesting thing is that I don't think it's possible to just make capship weapons more powerful against fighters. If I do that then capship weapons become more powerful against other capships too, resulting in shorter capship battles. I could counter that by giving the capships more hitpoints but then fighters would be less effective against capships.

Can be solved:

a) Anti-cap torpedos have more power
b) subsystems and turrets have a smaller hull percentage (less HP)

P.S. - about Earth-Mimbari wars demo - not a sigle minbari warship was destroyed suring hte (short) campaign. What gives? Yeah they are more powerfull (as they should be) but this is redicolous. What happened to the good ol swarming method?

and Omega sucks mind you.. I pitted it against all other capships in the game and it cna barely beat a Nova... gets toasted BADLY (barely scratches them) by other ships
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Apparently you're not very familiar with B5 universe.

Only one Sharlin warcruiser was confirmed to be killed during the Earth-Minbari war, but there have been a few loose references to smaller victories in the show but nothing more really. The only confirmed kill was achieved by mining an asteroid field and luring the warcruiser to middle of it. During the first engagement, quite a large number of EA ships fired at a Minbari warcruiser before the Minbari had fired a shot, they failed to destroy the warcruiser and fled quickly.

Omega is a good vessel, it was designed to replace both Nova and Hyperion and in that job it performs well. It's anti-capital ship firepower is in front and that firepower is equivalent or better than other younger race's ships of equivalent class, except for the Minbari. Omega's top and bottom turret's are strictly anti-fighter, it won't beat a Nova or Primus if they're able to flank it but it should be able to take on all equivalent ships head on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:14:53 pm by Fury »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I wasn't refering only to the Sharlin - they have smaller capships too :D

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Which reminds me - I saw Babylon 5 some time ago.
If memory serves me right only one Sharlin was SHOWN (confirmed) to be destroyed (by Sheridan luring him in a mine field). I can't recall no official mention that none other has been destroyed during the whole war...

And the first Sharlin was engaged by several Hyperion cruisers IIRC.

P.S. - is it just me or could some EA pulse weapon use a bit more velocity? Seem a bit too slow to me.

Not a big B5 fan (doesn't reflect on my love for TBP), but I do remember from the show that the Sharlin Sheridan nailed was the first cruiser to be destroyed but afterwards the EA changed tact and started ambushing minbari ships when possible in asteroid fields and the like to get close. Supposed to have reduced the attrition rate to something like 5-1 from 20-1 in favour of the Minbari.

Although that could be Fanon.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Makes sense...think of the numbers of warships and especially fighters (from bases, planets, outposts) EA can throw at smalelr Minbari forces in their core systesm (Sol)

Offline Slasher

Sheridan gets lauded as the only captain who achieved a victory against the Minbari, though it's possible that the propaganda that would've followed him kind of enhanced his image and drowned out other achievements.  Still, if an entire EA fleet gets wiped out while only fragging one or two Minbari Sharlins, then while enemy capital ships were destroyed, you can't exactly call it a victory for Earth.  With those kinds of losses, you couldn't really even brag about the enemy kills publicly no matter how you marginalized the enormous losses your side suffered. 

"Through the brave actions of the 4th Fleet, two Minbari warcruisers were destroyed off of Orion II.   Unfortunately,all seventy-four warships of the 4th were lost BUT IN OTHER NEWS Vicky Spears has shaved her head in an odd twist of rehab failureblahblahblah..."

Since that would've been the mode for the war rather than the exception, Sheridan's nukage of the Black Star and his living to actually tell about it would naturally get center stage for considerable time. 

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Not only did Sheridan get the first kill in the war, it was the Minbari flagship he killed. That can be called an achievement. Furthermore, the moreale of EA had bee plummeting because of constant losses on the front.

So EA losses? Old news.
Minbari losses? WTF they lost something?

No wonder Sheridan was made a hero.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

As far as I remember from reading JMS comments, the black star wasn't the only Minbari Cap-Ship destroyed: In the first encounter when the prometheus opened fire 2 cruisers were killed, one (the one with the grey council aboard) badly damaged. But when the Minbari decided to go for war, pretty all of those ships where shot down. In other cases ramming has been a last resort - but ramming is typically fatal for both ships.

Sheridans deeds were not so heroic because he destroyed a cruiser (what happened seldom enoungh!) but because he survived, what made it a victory.
Shooting down 2 nials, and escaping while losing half a fleet is no victory
Ramming a Sharlin, destroying it and losing a whole fleet is no victory
But when one ship, badly crippeled, alone in an asteroid field takes out the enemy flagship... what would u call that?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Indeed...another thing I recall in the EMW Demo - a Nova rams a Sharlin and it's gets barely scratched?????
Who FREDed that mission for crying out loud?

Offline Herkkis

My experiences with the Earth-Minbari war "demo"

:p I don´t know about you guys but with the assistance of an EAS Hyperion and my trusty wingmen I was albe to destroy the entire Minbari fleet at the battle of Jupiter  :rolleyes:

After most of the EAS ships were destroyed and it was time to jump to Earth I decided to command my "new" army against the minbari instead! After the Nials were gone, it was an easy task to order my fleet to attack a Sharlin while I flew extremely close to it and destroyed its main turrets. Since the other Sharlins just stayed put, after about 30 minutes victory was ours  :P It was a bit boring to just press mousebutton1 until I had to give the guns some time to recharge.

But my Starfury was more effective at inflicting damage than the Hyperion (it missed alot of its shots and didn´t use nearly all cannons for some reason) I´m going to experiment some more but I think that since the EA plasma cannons are seriously underpowered, slow and inaccurate, the Minbari beams are great! More power to them would make them realistic but indeed it wouldn´t be fun to get killed after 1 hit.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WEll, my fleet got wiped out and I didn't fee like going against a Sharlin..LOL

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Well I stayed clear of the sharlins.  :nervous:
The nials were another matter.. I made it through the campaign the first run, but the second, well i`m still at it.  :p
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Yeah... I couldn't scratch the Sharlins, they shredded me and my fleet every time