Author Topic: Capital Ship Beam Weapons not Firing?  (Read 1695 times)

Capital Ship Beam Weapons not Firing?
Hey guys, downloaded your mod the other day, finally got a chance to play it today. Alot of fun with the fighter combat, always was insanely difficult to kill those Nials in Starfuries eh? :P

Anyway, I decided to hit the mission editor to make me some small skirmishes and after a few small fighter battles I decided to up the ante and throw in capital ships. Now I've noticed...strangely, that any capital ship with a beam weapon didn't fire at whatever range. I tried telling them to attack certain other capital ships, but they still didn't, tried putting them in a wing and told them to shoot a capital ship or a capital wing. Alot of things such as this.

However, nothing seemed to work, it's disappointing seeing a Sharlin War Cruiser shoot pissy missile style weapons that do just about nothing when it could be firing off it's beam weapons and blasting fleets to pieces, or a G'Quan fire it's weapons at a Centauri warship and instead chooses to use other weapons.

Is this an issue with the game or do these weapons have a minimum range and I'm just putting them too close? Although I did try with a Shadow vessel attacking two War Cruisers some distance away, it flew straight up to them and then began to withdraw. The War Cruisers also failed to fire.

Sorry if this has been addressed before or if I'm a complete idiot. I just don't want a perfectly good B5 game going to waste! :P

Cheers lads!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Capital Ship Beam Weapons not Firing?
Beam weapons are locked per default. You need to use the "free-beam" event on a ship, so I can fire or you use "All-ships-beam-freed-by default" in the mission specs editor.  :blah:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Thank you very much, mate. Also thank you for the quick response!

Seems a bit odd beam weapons would be locked? Why is that?

Cheers!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Did I mention this in the FAQ that comes with the game?  :nervous:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
Thank you very much, mate. Also thank you for the quick response!

Seems a bit odd beam weapons would be locked? Why is that?

Cheers!

I find them being locked by default good to have actually. If you want to have a few wings of starfuries vs some other starfuries and an omega class destroyer, I don't think I would want the Omega firing lasers at me with its turrets... seeing as they only fired the phalanx thing.

However, it is a pain in the *arse* to have to remove the phalanx of the Omega-Xs, because they used (from what I saw) lasers only.

And IPA, if you are reading this, I know that you're probably under a lot of stress with the release and all, and having to deal with newbies like myself  :p. So this isn't a complaint or anything, as I acknowledge that having to make missions by one's self does require patience and experiance.  ;)
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike