Which Faction?

Rule Brittania (GB)
German Steel (G)
Austrian Yodeling (A-H)
Delicious Pasta (I)
Land of the Free (USA)
The Russian Bear (R)
Hon Hon Hon (F)

Author Topic: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Japan - [Image Heavy!]  (Read 80049 times)

Re: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Japan - [Image Heavy!]
Just wondering: I can't remember the game allowing ships to run away from their home country. Is the Preussen just some fluff for the story or what happened to if it is an actual ship in the game?
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Finally, the big ships have an interesting conversation with each other! The big boats fight I've been waiting for. Go go kongou sisters.
I love that after taking several hits and having the majority of her turrets knocked out, kongou is listed at the end as just lightly damaged.

The turrets were disabled, not destroyed. 'Disabled' means 'damage that prevents something from working and that might or might not be repairable at sea, but is easy for a drydock to fix'.

But yeah, the Four can take a beating. What really surprised me was that Kirishima managed to bounce a 16'' shell on her piddly belt armor.

Just wondering: I can't remember the game allowing ships to run away from their home country. Is the Preussen just some fluff for the story or what happened to if it is an actual ship in the game?

No, it's just fluff.  :p

When the battle finished, I saw that I was supposed to have two battleships on-station. Sometimes, the AI is present with a squad of support vessels, so I said "Hey, that's what happened! There's a division of BBs somewhere around here!"

Now, when the mission is over, the entire map gets revealed and you can see where your own ships and the enemy ships were at the end. So, I look for my BBs and I find them near the eastern Korean coast, just opposite the German harbor (as ****ing far away from the actual fight as they could have been). And literally right next to them, at the mouth of the harbor, was a German BB, who had maybe sailed a total of a kilometer through the entire battle. And neither my ships nor that BB (who, I found out was the Preussen) had fired a single shot.

So, there were two ways I could fit this into the narrative. Either the Germans pissed themselves after taking a look at my semi-obsolete SuperDreads and hid in their harbor until the scary Japanese went away, or they decided to reject the fraudulent and insidious teachings of practical communism and return to the service of their Kaiser.

From that point on, Preussen declined all fights. She literally spent the rest of the war going 'nopenopenope' every time the Japanese fleet left the harbor. So I said '**** it' and had her change sides.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:49:41 pm by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Enioch

News of the Battle of Liaotung raced around the world. Western Press painted it as a major victory against the forces of Communism - and public feeling in Europe and America turned decisively against the German - Russian alliance. French Press, in particular, adopted a sensationalist stance, painting the Japanese as avengers of the German-sunk liner Lorraine.

Oh, how tables turn. Don't they, fromages?

And as February gave way to March, the underwater war raged on - only twice as brutal. The Japanese struck at German coastal patrols, in their usual opening moves; the Germans, in return, struck an opportunistic blow and sank the destroyer Isonami with all hands.

This made the Japanese submariners mad.

While numbering less than half of their opponents' submarines, the Japanese Silent Service was operating the best boats in the world; and their submariners were hardened veterans. In a single month, the twenty-eight Japanese submarines sank more ships than the submarine fleets of Germany and Russia combined (which were numbering more than sixty boats). And the 'Maru boys' didn't fail to draw their pound of flesh from the inexperienced Germans.

On the 17th of March, when the two German destroyers S-20 and S-23 sailed to southern Korea on a shipping raid, the 'Maru boys' were waiting for them.

The Germans emerged out of the morning mists to find themselves in firing range of the Cheng Hai, a 5k ton grain freighter, which they quickly engaged and sank. Unfortunately for the raiders, the Cheng Hai got off a distress signal. A few miles away, little Yaeyama and her destroyer squadron made their best speed to intercept.

They almost didn't make it in time for the party. In response to the Cheng Hai's call, seventeen Minesweepers and patrol boats rushed to the scene. The German destroyers tried to disengage, but the 'Maru boys' swarmed them like locusts and hung on to their prey like starving piranhas.

By the time Yaeyama and her destroyers arrived, they could only give the coup de grace to the German destroyers. The S-20 and S-23 had been hammered to near-Swiss-cheese levels by the 4- and 5-inch guns of the near-suicidal Japanese gunships.

Hilariously, some of the captured German officers protested quite vocally. Minesweepers weren't supposed to seek engagement with destroyers! The Japanese weren't playing fair, verdammnt noch mal!.

Shortly after this engagement, the first Sendais were commissioned. Unfortunately, mechanical problems limited the class to 30 knots, a considerable disappointment for the Admiralty. Thankfully, the engineering department would quickly diagnose the main issues; and a 1953 refit would make the Sendais perform to the satisfaction of all.

In April, the Silent Service struck again, carving a massive chunk out of the DDR's merchant shipping. Unfortunately, the fleet also lost Hakaze in a patrol off North Korea.

Not that this altered the overall situation in any way, of course. What was left of the German and Russian Navy cowered in their ports. And the Japanese Army was now advancing quickly in Korea and had landed in Sakhalin.

And, to top it all off, the Unebi intercepted the German raider Bremen in the Indian Ocean and drove her off, while, admittedly, suffering considerable damage herself. But, where Unebi had friendly bases to retreat to, Bremen was operating thousands of miles from the nearest friendly port.

Aha. AHAHAHA. AHAHAHAHAHA.

Long live the Glorious Counter-Revolution!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:37:52 am by Enioch »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Broken at last

(Tell Sendai to lay off the midnight snacks, too fat to reach designed speeds  :nono: )
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

Poor Sendai  :(  :sigh:

Next update is an epilogue, to finish the series. This was fun.

It's been a wild ride! This has been highly enjoyable.

So Russia finally succumbed to the pressure and Germany will probably follow soon  :drevil:
Your first Sendais don't seem to share the "best stats for a CL" characteristic with their kancolle namesakes  :p

I got used to reading you updates every few days! They were really enjoyable and I will miss them in the future :(
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

I've been enjoying reading this, too.  Any chance you can do a game as the Spaghettis, Baguettes, or Vodkas next?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Lorric

Youtube is persistently throwing videos at me of some game apparently called "War of the Human Tanks". I haven't looked at anything Kancolle since I think more or less when I last mentioned it here, so I think you and your thread which I keep checking in on are responsible for it, along with Google Skynet. :P

Offline Enioch

Think of This and All is Mended

The collapse of the Communist State in Russia is a tragic tale for the historians, economists and social scientists to disentangle and beyond the scope of this military historical study; suffice it to say that what was left of Russia would not be a relevant Power in the world stage for at least twenty years and that what followed the end of the Russo-Japanese War was a time of privation, emigration and deep, deep ideological uncertainty, until the emergence of the Russian Republic in 1965.

What concerns us is that the June Junta, having hastily joined the war to assist their foundering ally, now found themselves alone. And, as a Junta lives and dies on its victories, domestic or foreign, the crippling loss of Liaotung shook the very foundations of the regime. If control were to be kept, peace had to be negotiated.

The Japanese, of course, were not about to grant them such peace without considerable concessions. It was suggested that the Japanese fleet should take the fight to the Germans - sail up to the Northern Atlantic and engage the Hight Seas Fleet in another decisive battle. But the Admiralty quickly slapped that idea down. Unlike the war with France, the Japanese had no allied bases in the Northern Atlantic; and their doctrine clearly forbade them from operating without a safe line of supply back to their home territory. The Russians had clearly demonstrated why that was a poor idea.

So, there was peace. The DDR tried to negotiate, but the Japanese simply pointed at Russia (where anarchy raged and the corpses of the leaders of yesterday were being dragged through the streets) and, then, at the USA, making growling noises toward Europe. France was mobilising. If this war continued, the Junta would find itself at an untenable situation before the end of the month.

So they took the Japanese peace.

The Japanese claimed Sakhalin (and the Russians couldn't really do anything about it) - and they were formally granted the right to establish naval bases in Java by the Kaiser. In turn, with Japanese backing, the Kaiser secured control of Northern Korea. The DDR was backed into Europe and Europe alone.

The Japanese also claimed the last surviving Russian Dreadnought, Pervenets as a war prize.

Ew. Ew ew ew ew.

Well, the Japanese got the chance to confirm a few things. Firstly, they were still the undisputed rulers of torpedo protection. Second, the Russians had no idea where to put armor. Thirdly, they had no use for the Pervenets because its guns were 15-inchers and the Japanese had never developed a 15-inch shell.

Also, they found out that the Russians were barely maintaining the poor thing. Its main guns were nearly rusted onto their bearings. Even a Takao would have been able to close in and torp it in a combat scenario. Also, it was infested with every vermin, bug and flea known to man.

So the Japanese just scrapped her and saved themselves the maintenance costs.

So, with Japan having established her undisputed dominance over the Indian Ocean and Africa, we bring this narrative to an end. Within a space of fifty years, Japan had emerged from a peripheral minor power to a federated colossus, controlling the near-entirety of the Eastern Hemisphere. This was due in no small part to her innovative naval policies: the Imperial Japanese Navy served as the spine and lifeblood of the Japanese Alliance throughout this time.

The Japanese Navy was never the largest Navy in the world; but it had always made a point of being the most modern and for never compromising on a design. Japan had built up a terrifying reputation with her superships; and it is worth noting that one of the core tenents of the American Naval doctrine and Domestic Policies up to the 1990s remained 'NEVER piss of the neighbor', despite the American massive numerical superiority.

For statistics spoke for themselves. In 50 years of near-uninterrupted war, the Japanese had never lost a capital ship.

As the world moved into the 1950s, Japan and America led the world in another revolution in naval tactics. With the development of the first jet-powered aircraft, the dominance of the gun-based capital ships was shaken to the core.

The first Attack Aircraft Carrier (clearly distinguishable from the scout seaplane tenders of earlier periods), HIJMS Hosho was laid down in 1951...

...followed by Shokaku and Zuikaku in 1954; the Americans followed up in 1952 with Langley and Lexington.

But that is a story for another time. For now, the Dreadnought and Battlecruiser are living their moment of glory.

We bring this report to a close with a lineup of the Japanese Fleet, as it was in the end of 1948. And we thank our readers for their attention.

Click image for hires

If we shadows have offended...

-END PART 7-
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:38:05 am by Enioch »

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Thanks for writing this up, Enioch. It was a very enjoyable read from start to finish. Not losing a single capital while beating your enemies into a pulp is impressive, too. That is not an IJN I'd want to **** with.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
gg wp
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Still best non-FS thread on HLP.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

It's sad that it will eventually drop from the top page into obscurity. :sigh:

Offline Enioch

So, an announcement of things to come.

I'll be disappearing until mid-March to early April.

And then I might be returning to this game, if there's still interest in it.

I'm going to be starting a new poll, so that you fine folk might select the faction of the succession game. If I get more than 20 participants (40 votes), I'll commit to a sequel.

EDIT: POLL IS UP.

YOU HAVE 2 VOTES EACH. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE YOUR VOTE. YOU WILL ONLY SEE THE RESULTS AFTER YOU VOTE.

Them's the rules.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:37:43 pm by Enioch »

Offline Lorric

Would it be able to possibly reach the same heights if you didn't use Japan?

I'd say Britain except you'd probably steamroll everything with ease, since you crushed your enemies with Japan. There needs to be some peril involved. Ideally the second attempt should present more of a challenge than the first. But damn I'm tempted to see how you'd portray my country...

EDIT: Oh, Japan is off the list anyway. Two votes, got to put one in for Britain...

Offline Enioch

Would it be able to possibly reach the same heights if you didn't use Japan?

Yes, but not in the same way. With Mediterranean Powers, expect a lot of raiding battles and fiddly ship design. With the Atlantic Powers, expect massive fleet battles, unlike everything you've seen with Japan.

I'd say Britain except you'd probably steamroll everything with ease, since you crushed your enemies with Japan. There needs to be some peril involved. Ideally the second attempt should present more of a challenge than the first. But damn I'm tempted to see how you'd portray my country...

EDIT: Oh, Japan is off the list anyway. Two votes, got to put one in for Britain...

Britain, actually, has 'hidden faults' as a national trait. Your capital ships have a considerably higher chance to explode if their turrets get penned. And you need to play the colonial conga since day one, because you have holdings all over the world. It's tricky.

If you want me to steamroll fools, vote for the USA. Lategame they're a monster.

Also: if you would be so kind, leave a post with how you would like me to approach the nations you voted for. With Japan, the 'flavour' of the thread was 'Kantai Collection'. What PopCult 'flavour' would you like with your nation of choice?

I can't guarantee that I'll take your advice, but it'll help bring obscure stuff to my attention.

Offline Lorric

I don't know how I would want you to approach Britain, but something lighthearted and fun would be nice I think over super serious.

I thought I'd be able to use my second vote later, but no.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also: if you would be so kind, leave a post with how you would like me to approach the nations you voted for. With Japan, the 'flavour' of the thread was 'Kantai Collection'. What PopCult 'flavour' would you like with your nation of choice?

I can't guarantee that I'll take your advice, but it'll help bring obscure stuff to my attention.

I voted for ze germans (because of cause I did). The flavour to go for would be "what if Bismarck managed to groom an actually competent successor".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Still best non-FS thread on HLP.

You have the power to make it stay on the front page of at least a forum forever.

I'd do it, but I can't move topics anymore.