Author Topic: WARGAME: RED DRAGON  (Read 31461 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
GET YOUR STEAM PREORDERS WITH DISCOUNT AND STUFF IF YOU OWN ALB RIGHT NOW.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
SLAYER COPIES.  PURCHASE FOR EFFECT.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
MY BODY IS READY.

Offline crizza

Steam is down for me o.O

THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

Also, dragons.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
PURCHASE CONFIRMED, PRE-ORDER AT WILL.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
christ  :eek2:

Offline crizza

Awesome. But I'll guess no Iowas?^^
But Kirow ad Slawas would be ****ing awesome :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Must have this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Vid-of-awesome

I think I can comfortably coordinate battalion level operations and intensely micro a couple of platoons to a company at a time.  I have a feeling RD stands a good chance of melting my brain. 

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I got ALB when it was on sale on steam for like 7 dollars. I got severely addicted to it for a few days.

Reminded me a lot like the game "World In Conflict" with its massive zoom out and positional play of role based units. Not to mention it also had the same setting.

Good stuff.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I have this... somewhat like-really realy hate (if you were to put love and really hate on a sliding scale from -10 to 10 or whatever) feeling towards this game series; I get overrun and lose horribly even against dead-easiest AI difficulty within the first 2 minutes in both EE and ALB in skirmish... Whatever campaign mode I tried I'd last a while in draws, draws, minor victory for a game or two, then major/total defeat come next round or something just because of 0 points and nothing on the map except one CV ready to be sniped by one arty shot from somewhere across the map and a helicopter with no ammo and low fuel with one panic state just below rout.

Yet I still play this once in a while, only difference now is I usually just ragequit (or rather, replace "rage" with "meh i give up whatever lalala") really really early and do something else once I've had fun with it, whereas before I'd barely try to last one full game i.e. when I see my last unit/cv get killed haha.

I know this game isn't for me - I don't see myself good enough for these types of games, or most games today for that matter. Feels like I'm past some so-called "gamer use-by date" if there ever was one. What's the point of buying if I won't play multiplayer, let alone even attempt to play it properly just because I'm completely thrown off by how hard I'm finding it?

But why is it that I still have half (more like 1/4 to 1/32) a mind to want to buy this?!? What exactly is it doing that's drawing me in?!? :confused: :banghead: :doubt: :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Marketing. And if you have played older RTS games already, just the wish for something fresh (Not necessarily new).

I see this game and I instantly know it is not for me. It looks and sounds cool, but it is not for me. I am the kinda person that likes base building. I love building walls and structures; Gates and roads. I love the whole economic aspect of older RTSs (even if the majority had a simplistic take on it.)

You said you don't like the game-play, you need not forcibly play this.

Offline crizza

Understandable, I a kind of frustrated with my performance myself, but hey?
I love RTS games and I want to be able to play this but I was ever good at micro.
I kept wonderin where all this smoke came from and then Battuta said something about mortars and smoke and I was like "Realy? Thats it?"
But this game is awesome, een if I loose to a damn easy AI I'll make them pay for killig me.
I think no player will be scouting with a AAA unit, but the AI does it and is usually my first kill and I bet no one would press an attack only to walk straight into a bunch of Kanonenjadpanzer...
And that spread command...oh dear, don't know how often I lose squads of four tanks to a god damn sigle airstrike...and then I read no one is takin four units of everythin apart from infantry into squads...realy?^^
And yet...Guess I'll buy Red Dragon anyway :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:04:13 am by crizza »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
On one hand the Wargame series doesn't require the rabid APM/micro/build tree bull**** of traditional RTS games but it does demand an understanding of combined arms warfare and fingerspitzengefühl.  Luckily even just reading some guides and watching some youtube play throughs from a skilled player makes a big difference in understanding the game meta.  Quite frankly I find myself frustrated when going back to a traditional build em up RTS.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
At first glance, I thought WALB was completely not my kind of game (I'm much more of a Total Annihilation/Forged Alliance kind of person; infinite resources, massed defensive emplacements, overwhelming invasion forces), but one online game with Battuta & co. told me that this game was awesome. We lost horribly our first game (even though we were 6v2 against the AI; but both were Hard, so...), but then I started to learn what the hell I was doing, and eventually even making my own decks (which, granted, are mostly untried because I haven't played in a few weeks), and was able to solo against Medium AIs on a fairly reliable basis.

There's no way of knowing if WALB is the game for you without learning how it works, first. I tried playing the tutorial missions first, and got my ass handed to me. I tried the tutorials after just two online games against the AI, learning from General Battuta, and obliterated the tutorials. It really does make a difference, learning just some basic tips of how the game works.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yeah I've definitely got to get playing with HLP people. These games look like they're a lot of fun but I've got to learn how to be not terrible at them to sustain fun-ness. I've pre-purchased RD in the hopes that I'll actually have time to play. :nervous: is #bp still the place to be to look for people to play with?

edit: can anyone recommend any good youtube WGALB games to watch? Not necessarily tutorials, but at least games with helpful commentary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I see this game and I instantly know it is not for me. It looks and sounds cool, but it is not for me. I am the kinda person that likes base building. I love building walls and structures; Gates and roads. I love the whole economic aspect of older RTSs (even if the majority had a simplistic take on it.)
I kind of feel the same way.  In the few RTS games (mainly Age of Empires II/Age of Mythology) I used to play, I was the ultimate turtler: I'd hunker down and build a fortress that my enemies would break on like water, and then when the AI had finished stupidly burning through most of its resources on futile attacks, I'd sweep through them with my overpowered Army o' Doom.  Seeing Battuta et al. go into advanced combined-force military tactics just makes my brain go all WHARRGARBL.  But that's the joy of different strokes of different folks: certain games might not be for you, even if you can appreciate them as good games.  Plus we still get to live vicariously through tales of people's shenanigans.

(even though we were 6v2 against the AI; but both were Hard, so...),

Resource balancing is done on a side-by-side basis. One side gets a certain amount of resource points, and this is then diveded equally and shared between the players. So you get 1000 points each, whilst your enemy gets 3000 points each to balance it out. As you are fighting against AI, they do not have the inherent organization problems actual people have when playing with a group and facing down attacks from multiple directions.