Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion  (Read 46941 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Starcraft 2 discussion
And I'll say it again, within the context of the universe that SC2 takes place in, it's acceptable for there to be "magic" technology.  "Any technology sufficiently advanced would appear as magic." and all that.  The McGuffins in SC2 work because they do, the Terrans are advanced enough that they recognize it as a technological marvel, but it might as well be magic for all the understanding they have of it.  The Protoss are a million years ahead of the Terrans and the Xel'Naga are probably a billion years beyond them, and you expect the Terrans who are 1.001 billion years behind a piece of tech to be able to explain it away?  They're doing REAL good to even know how to turn the thing on.

Never bring realism and logic into this, or you will lose.

Alien tech and artifacts surviving for millions of years? Only in sci-fi.
Stealing a top-secret state-of the art war machine is as easy as blasting a hole trough the wall and entering a cockpit?
I can go on, but the SC universe doesn't operate on real logic..it has gaping holes in the plot. big ones.

BUT, it is a good and fun game. Only problem is, it's one of those games you play once, and put on the shelf. Just doesn't have the draw for me.

That said:

I love goliaths. They are friggin awesome as an all-purpose unit!
Also love War Hogs. Now THAT's proper infantry.
Battlecruiers were a letdown..They are powerfulland all those batteries opening up look great...but they are so friggin small and looks well...bad compared to the Hyperion.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:38:26 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft
Takes the SC2 gameplay and makes it a bit more like Brood War, and yes, Carriers and Battlecruisers got buffed in size.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Not just size...If I were modding SC2, I'd make them MUCH larger, MUCH more powerful and MUCH more expensive.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I guess it's a good thing you aren't, then. :3
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Not just size...If I were modding SC2, I'd make them MUCH larger, MUCH more powerful and MUCH more expensive.
Why aren't you?  SC2 does have that lovely editor.  Chances are you can scale them up with a single variable and change their stats just as easily.  You should give the Battlecruiser some anti-fighter turrets like the ones the Hyperion fires as it leaves Mar Sara.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline mxlm

Maybe we could get some practice games or team games together :P
I was about to say it's no fun if I can't tk you and then I remembered that I can.

mxlm.676

Of course, really the way to get games going is through steam.

ETA: Eight game streak now. Thought he had me, but my void rays saved the day. He was gold.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:53:24 am by mxlm »
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Why aren't you?  SC2 does have that lovely editor.  Chances are you can scale them up with a single variable and change their stats just as easily.  You should give the Battlecruiser some anti-fighter turrets like the ones the Hyperion fires as it leaves Mar Sara.

Because I torrnted it and the editor isn't working? Because the BC models sucks IMHO (and  I don't want to model a new one)?

Also, units seems to be tied to maps.
So I'd have to edit every single map in order to ply with it....that's boring.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Thanks for letting me know you pirated the game. Enjoy your one week ban.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Scale is always wonky in starcraft.  A Thor is basically a barracks with gun arms that walks around the map!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We had a whole mission take place in a Science Vessel in SC1, it's a little late to be complaining...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
finally got the game a couple days ago, i think (i havent really been measuring time since then). i probibly spent 3 hours downloading patches, video drivers, etc, and then spent another two hours trying to log into the game. WHY THE **** DO I NEED TO LOG INTO A GAME!!!! ITS A ****ING GAME, ITS NOT MY ****ING BANK ACCOUNT!!!  WHY THE **** DO I NEED TO TYPE A PASSWORD TO PLAY SINGLE PLAYER!!!. :hopping:

ranting aside the first few missions of the game had me scratching my head. there were two few familiar units or buildings so i was completely lost. it didnt come with a continent unit hierarchy chart like the original. by mission 5 i had to drop to hard difficulty and by 10 i was on normal. by then i was kinda getting the feel for the units and actually fighting somewhat strategically. and ive almost beaten the game, i think theres a mission or two left, which im saving for tomorrow (need sleep).

the story is somewhat meh. the animation in the cutscenes is awesome but, i kinda dont like the way the story telling system is set up, you kinda have to poke around for bits and peices. of course the important stuff is laid out for you. the characters are somewhat meh too, aside from the classic personas.

i probibly would have kept it more like the original. more old skool units, no changing of names or abilities, that kinda stuff.  there certainly is a lot more variety of infantry units, it often left me scratching my head about what works best in a certain situation. the real test will be how well the multiplayer is.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Use the offline mode?

If you think you have it bad, I have an authenticator hooked up to my account, so I need to type two passwords in, one I don't have memorised and is time sensitive. :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Does anyone wonder

Spoiler:
where the warped buildings and units in "In Utter Darkness" come from? Canonically, the buildings and units came from Aiur, but since Aiur fell, one would assume they would come from their current homeworld, Shakuras. But in the context of the mission, their are the last Protoss remaining, so where are they coming from?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:36:09 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Spoiler:
Hammerspace

Offline mxlm

That's like wondering where the marines you train come from. It doesn't matter, it's a genre convention, move on.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
That's like wondering where the marines you train come from. It doesn't matter, it's a genre convention, move on.

Click on a marine enough times

"you ever notice how nobody ever comes back to the barracks?"
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Spoiler:
where the warped buildings and units in "In Utter Darkness" come from? Canonically, the buildings and units came from Aiur, but since Aiur fell, one would assume they would come from their current homeworld, Shakuras. But in the context of the mission, their are the last Protoss remaining, so where are they coming from?
My brother asked me that. I told him, "You worry to much. Just enjoy the game!"

Btw, I think the missions where you play as either
Spoiler:
Tosh or Nova
is extremely fun and should not be played on anything less than hard.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The entire campaign should not be played on anything less than Hard.
Seeing as they're all...possible on brutal, and fairly straightforward on Hard.

(As far as I've gotten at least - which is everything up to the last few artifact missions, I did all the 'side routes'.)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

i probibly would have kept it more like the original. more old skool units, no changing of names or abilities, that kinda stuff.

That would not be a good idea methinks. Fans have been waiting for SC2 for over 11 years, and then they find out that they bassicly got more of the same. That would suck...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Umm, what? They got basically SC1 with upgraded graphics. SC1 was better in everything but graphics though.