Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion  (Read 46935 times)

Re: Starcraft 2 discussion

The unpopularity of LAN (among developers) is somewhat related to pirating.
Pirates will play on LAN with hamachi or whatever similar VPN tech instead of using their bnet services because of the registration required.

I, roll my eyes and spit on the industry.

the original starcraft had a spawn install mode specifically for lan parties, there was no need to pirate the game, you just install spawn copies on all your comps and play the game.
These days, that's called piracy.

Except it can't be piracy if the company is providing the option of doing the spawn install.
Show me a recent game that actually sold any significant amount that allowed it. :rolleyes:
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Show me a recent game that allowed it at all?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
(or worse split sceen :mad: )
Not really on-topic, but dude, split-screen multiplayer is awesome.  Nothing beats sitting right next to your buddy and rubbing his face in your awesomeness. :p

i dont know, the first time i played halo multi on a split screen i got eyestrain something fierce, it was a fairly large screen too. splitscreen was ok for racing games though. of course i havent played those since i owned a console (a sega saturn), which i cached in to go to metallica concert when i was 16. so maybe im just getting old.

Show me a recent game that allowed it at all?

as far as i know, i havent seen any other game do that at all.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

There are actually one or two small-time games that don't require licences to play their default install, that can be played over lan with multiple installs, but none of them are block busters by any means.

I think the biggest one is probably SoaSE?
But yea, even then I think you're technically still breaking the law, even though the software allows it, the EULA doesn't.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Droid803

Oh SoaSE?
You can do that, but you can't patch it unless you register so you'll be stuck on the buggy 1.02 or whatever.
(´・ω・`)

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id software usually removes drm from its games after sales taper off. maybe for lan play, but more likely to reduce their long term support overhead.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Droid803

ZvT has been solved!
Zergs can rejoice! Why break the wall when you can prevent the Terran walloff with proxy evo chambers, and they're also essentially timebombs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25urXSlxe0&feature=player_embedded
(´・ω・`)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
^awesome. i started playing protoss though, i found zerg impossible after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, after that you would just hope someone else would receive the counter attack. i tried and failed to use roaches and banelings effectively. i can mount a fairly effective defense against protoss, but terran was impossible in most cases, with them your best to rush before the wall off, smash their workers and hope one of your teammates does a follow up. if your left alone for the first 10 minutes you can launch one hell of a brood lord attack. aside from vikings, terrans dont have many anti air possibilities, marines would get swamped with broodlings. if you anticipate an air defence, take some corruptors to, if theres no air defence you can morph em to brood lord during the fight and use them to finish the game. of course zerg usually dont last that long, so your better off using mass hydralisk attacks.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
ZvT has been solved!
Zergs can rejoice! Why break the wall when you can prevent the Terran walloff with proxy evo chambers, and they're also essentially timebombs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D25urXSlxe0&feature=player_embedded

that's hilarious  :lol:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

:bump:
Patch 1.1 released. Seems to have broken my some campaign progress saved games. Main SC2 website is down. News at 11.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:35:14 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i kinda stopped playing after 3 days of trying to beat the last mission on hard and failing epically.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i kinda stopped playing after 3 days of trying to beat the last mission on hard and failing epically.

Spam planetary fortresses!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

Then why not lower the difficulty?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You're asking Nuke to do something sane.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i already beat it on normal, now i want to beat it on hard :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Droid803

The last mission is easy (even on brutal, apparently) as long as you are doing two things:
Playing VS Air -and- Have Hive Mind Emulators.

Strategy: Spend every last mineral and gas spamming nothing but Hive Mind Emulators around the artifact. Mind control every single mutalisk, broodlord, and ultralisk you come upon. Win. You'll probably lose your entire base except for the control towers, but the towers will be covered by a massive cloud of zerg air units! (broodlords pwn kerrigan cause her ai is dumb and goes after broodlings)

vs nydus I guess you just spam planetary fortress and seige tanks. Thors for kerrigan (don't buy 330mm cannon, the 250mm one is better for stalling kerrigan)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
or the old standby of a legion of siege tanks
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
The last mission is easy (even on brutal, apparently) as long as you are doing two things:

Strategy: Spend every last mineral and gas spamming nothing but Hive Mind Emulators around the artifact. Mind control every single mutalisk, broodlord, and ultralisk you come upon. Win. You'll probably lose your entire base except for the control towers, but the towers will be covered by a massive cloud of zerg air units! (broodlords pwn kerrigan cause her ai is dumb and goes after broodlings)

vs nydus I guess you just spam planetary fortress and seige tanks. Thors for kerrigan (don't buy 330mm cannon, the 250mm one is better for stalling kerrigan)

so i did everything different this time. when i played on easy i had both hive mind emulators and took out the nydis network. i made the opposite choices this time around, so i have psi disruptors and i have to fight nydis worms. my strategy so far have been to create banshees in huge numbers. i tried the seige tank spam and it only lets me survive a past 50% while banshees get me to 75% before i die. i tried bunker (turret and 6x capacity upgrades) spam, but it seems i have a very hard time filling them, even with 2x barracks with reactors (not so much a problem with production as it is a problem with having the time to figure out who goes where). biggest problem i have is fortifying the northeast entrance, it seems to need twice the turrets as the western side (which holds fine with about 12 bunkers). refortifying is impossible after 50%. using the psi disruptor's doesn't seem to be that effective, but i keep a few on the front and in the base to improve response time. most of the time im having to micromanage banshee strikes against nydis worms..

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

so i did everything different this time. when i played on easy i had both hive mind emulators and took out the nydis network. i made the opposite choices this time around, so i have psi disruptors and i have to fight nydis worms. my strategy so far have been to create banshees in huge numbers. i tried the seige tank spam and it only lets me survive a past 50% while banshees get me to 75% before i die. i tried bunker (turret and 6x capacity upgrades) spam, but it seems i have a very hard time filling them, even with 2x barracks with reactors (not so much a problem with production as it is a problem with having the time to figure out who goes where). biggest problem i have is fortifying the northeast entrance, it seems to need twice the turrets as the western side (which holds fine with about 12 bunkers). refortifying is impossible after 50%. using the psi disruptor's doesn't seem to be that effective, but i keep a few on the front and in the base to improve response time. most of the time im having to micromanage banshee strikes against nydis worms..

planetary fortresses + psi disruptors + legions of tanks!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:59:33 am by General Battuta »