Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion  (Read 46880 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well the mission has a few other minor problems, like 'where the heck is everything warping in from'?

But what seriously pisses me off about the whole Overmind retcon is that it's Blizzard recycling again.

Arthas' story was Kerrigan's story. And now the Zerg are the Orcs.

They weren't originally so twisted and driven to consume! It was an evil, shadowy force that we must unite against which did it to them! Little did we know that their leaders were planning a secret way to liberate them!

fdsafdsafdsgrn stop retconning all your villains

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well the mission has a few other minor problems, like 'where the heck is everything warping in from'?

That, and essentially it forces you to use a DT wall because you can't produce the other units fast enough to counter the waves (at least on Hard).

On Hard, I managed to get 2624 kills, still short of the 2750 needed for the achievement, despite multiple save reloads.  Finally I reverted to Normal and only then managed to scrape by (4 kills over the achievement threshold).

Biggest problem with the end of that mission is the waves become so large that it is impossible to effectively counter anything, and my framerate plummeted to 5 FPS.  I stacked a mixed force of 60 ships, Mothership, Carriers, Phoenixs, and Void Rays, all with maxed upgrades and watched it get slammed by enormous waves of Zerg fliers.  And I discovered that the computer cheats at the end - even without Overlords to detect under the cloak, the Zerg fliers were targeting the carriers themselves.

2254 kills on Normal was enough.

---

As for the Overmind retcon, that irritated me too.  The Starcraft documentation explicitly contradicts the explanations in Starcraft 2 so far as the Zerg's nature.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I got the mission on my first try on normal and I actually bored myself to death since I was after the achievement too, and had to actually give up defending so I could finish the mission.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Eh, In Utter Darkness was fine.
Colossus Immortal Ball. just run it around and EVERYTHING DIES. (except air, which is why you run your AIRBALL around).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I just spammed carriers and colossi, ended up having to stop unit production so that I could actually loose. I had close to 10 000 kills by the end, on normal.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I just spammed carriers and colossi, ended up having to stop unit production so that I could actually loose. I had close to 10 000 kills by the end, on normal.

10000?

Given that waves 87-88 (and they are in the continuous spawn phase) are well over 200 psi of Zerg mutalisks and corrupters, I find 10,000 kills a little hard to believe =)  Replay? =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Not to mention you'd have mined out by them, most likely.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

10000?

Given that waves 87-88 (and they are in the continuous spawn phase) are well over 200 psi of Zerg mutalisks and corrupters, I find 10,000 kills a little hard to believe =)  Replay? =)
man, with upgrades, carries and colossi do have great range and GREAT DPS, the two best units for toss unless specifically countered with LOTS of air, assuming you have 20 collossi and 30 carriers, wouldn't that be the ideal mix against mutas/corrupters?

and once they're up, the only minerals you need are for interceptors, with that range, sheild regen, and some micro.

doesn't sound implausible to me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
man, with upgrades, carries and colossi do have great range and GREAT DPS, the two best units for toss

Colossi, sure, but carriers? They're about as useful as the bananas they resemble, man (at least in MP).

Full upgrades and the Mothership you get for free helped a lot in keeping the Carriers alive. I just kept all the Colossi and Carriers in a tight ball around the Mothership, I did not bother defending the archive level after I completed that objective. I cycled out carriers with depleted shields to center of the ball and put ones with fresh shields in the outer ring. Note that theres a gold expansion on that map: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/images2/3/37/InUtterDarkness_map.jpg
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:41:27 am by Akalamanaia »

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
man, with upgrades, carries and colossi do have great range and GREAT DPS, the two best units for toss

Colossi, sure, but carriers? They're about as useful as the bananas they resemble, man (at least in MP).
2 attacks (per interceptor per pass) x8 damage x8 interceptors +1 per upgrade = lots of damage.
carries are very good with some upgrades mainly against less armoured things and things that aren't terran marines.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

2 attacks (per interceptor per pass) x8 damage x8 interceptors +1 per upgrade = lots of damage.
carries are very good with some upgrades mainly against less armoured things and things that aren't terran marines.

Two attacks is bad and having their damage distributed across all the inties is bad too (armor really hurts them.) But mostly they're just too expensive to be practical in multi.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Not talking multi, he was speaking specifically about a particular mission.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

Two attacks is bad and having their damage distributed across all the inties is bad too (armor really hurts them.) But mostly they're just too expensive to be practical in multi.
I've seen them able to be used at varying skill levels in multiplayer, and even managed to use them combined with stalkers and a mothership  against some T going BC's

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not talking multi, he was speaking specifically about a particular mission.

No he wasn't, he declared them one of the best 'toss units.

I've seen them able to be used at varying skill levels in multiplayer, and even managed to use them combined with stalkers and a mothership  against some T going BC's

They can be used, moreso in large team games, but if Terran is going battlecruisers carriers are still a waste.

Offline Nuclear1

I just had a holy crap moment.

Spoiler:
Dr. Narud.

Sdrawkcab.

Combine that with the bonus mission

When you figure it out, you'll **** bricks.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

But yeah. Shame that whole metaplot seems to be leading us nowhere cool.

Offline Nuclear1

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Full upgrades and the Mothership you get for free helped a lot in keeping the Carriers alive. I just kept all the Colossi and Carriers in a tight ball around the Mothership, I did not bother defending the archive level after I completed that objective. I cycled out carriers with depleted shields to center of the ball and put ones with fresh shields in the outer ring. Note that theres a gold expansion on that map
You actually managed to mine that? I tried, but it didn't end too well ...

For the record, in the early waves of In Utter Darkness, a DT wall with Immortals/Stalks and/or Collis will be all you need to stop ground. Since the Hybrids are armoured, it only makes things easier. And you can kill all the Spine/Spores/Uberlisks with the Void Rays once you get them.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!