Author Topic: question: textures and performance hit  (Read 757 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
question: textures and performance hit
i was wondering... what is better to reduce performance hit: to reduce the overall amount of textures for all the pof (so to use tha same textures of lod0 in the other lods), or to reduce the number (resolution) of the textures present in game at any time (so to use specific textures of lower resolution for any lod)?
i mean..as far now i used the same textures for all the lods but i was thinking that if i use different maps (less textures or textures at lower res) for the different lods the hardware will probably have (in average) less calculations to do at any time, although it will have to load more maps... i don't know..what is the solution that you usually use?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
question: textures and performance hit
All the Volition ships use lower-res textures for the LODs. I'm not sure what effect it has on perormance. Somebody with a version of the Source can probably measure that with their handy little on-screen memory usage display.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...