Author Topic: C&C: Red Alert 3  (Read 31676 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I loved hearing her say "shake it baby!" her best incarnation was definitely RA2 imo. *swoons and collapses*
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
In RA 1 Aftermath or Counterstrike couldn't remember which. The mission with the Cyborg and the Cybernetic Dog. I was rushing to kill her before she could utter a word.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I registered when I got Kanes Wrath at launch.  I think...I actually re-registered again yesterday just to see what would happen.  They have no confirmation e-mails or anything.

RA2 Tanya was amazing (!!!!)...total agreement with Dekker there! :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In RA 1 Aftermath or Counterstrike couldn't remember which. The mission with the Cyborg and the Cybernetic Dog. I was rushing to kill her before she could utter a word.

That was a really easy mission in Counterstrike, certainly the easiest one among the expansions. They nerfed Volkov (the super infantry) a lot in Aftermath though and he's more like a standard Commando or Tanya there.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I registered when I got Kanes Wrath at launch.  I think...I actually re-registered again yesterday just to see what would happen.  They have no confirmation e-mails or anything.

RA2 Tanya was amazing (!!!!)...total agreement with Dekker there! :D

<borat> Hi - Five <borat>

And here for all the fans.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4OPuXFfmbg&feature=related

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I loved hearing her say "shake it baby!" her best incarnation was definitely RA2 imo. *swoons and collapses*

I must be the only person alive who found Tanya in RA2 even more grating. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
That was a really easy mission in Counterstrike, certainly the easiest one among the expansions. They nerfed Volkov (the super infantry) a lot in Aftermath though and he's more like a standard Commando or Tanya there.

If they hadn't, we would've been so damn boned.

And srsly, that one is THE easiest mission ever.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Want reasons to play on the Soviet side in RA3?  I think I found one: http://www.ea.com/redalert/factions-soviets.jsp?id=Natasha

Not bad...not bad :)
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I watched a trailer of Soviet gameplay recently, and you can set up the MCV on sea. Bloody awesome!

But, i literally went, "wtf" when I saw soldiers getting launched out of a vehicle. Tesla troopers mind you. Who now wear mecha like suits.

Quote from: Red Alert 3 Website
Natasha Volkova ...
Iirc the cybernetic soldier was called Volkov. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:21:19 am by Stormkeeper »

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Want reasons to play on the Soviet side in RA3?  I think I found one: http://www.ea.com/redalert/factions-soviets.jsp?id=Natasha

Not bad...not bad :)

Isn't that Crush from American Gladiators?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Loving the new Peacekeeper unit.  Its the Allies basic infantry unit but it looks like its going to be a really useful weapon against enemy infantry if you micro the unit properly.  I love every unit having some sort of dual mode that you have to use effectively.  It may be a bit much to micro everything but I like the idea of being able to turn the tide with the right combination of units and abilities.
- IceFire

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I agree. The shields look especially useful, especially since the shotgun's damage is proportionate to the target distance. This also means that the Peacekeepers have to get up close and personal, which may be one of their more exploitable weaknesses.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Yeah good point...seems like the range is key for the Peacekeeper.  If so I really like having this strategic depth.  And the engine should be able to do it so if you sneak around the back of the Peacekeeper's shield they will be more vulnerable...since C&C3 can already do this with tank armor (for instance).

RA3 looks like something quite innovative compared to the norm.  Every unit has a manually activated secondary mode and land, sea, and air seem to have a better mix than before too.
- IceFire

Offline Mika

Seriously, the units look like toys.

Also, what is it with developers that push half-naked commando women in every game? For me it actually ruins the gaming experience (yes, I admit it is nice to watch half-naked women in general, but in war games that screams "Not gonna happen!"). It is underestimating the audience in this case.

I'm not sure if I like the secondary modes either, it sounds like more micro-managing, something which C&C series games could have less.

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It's what command and conquer does. Adds kitch humour to dark storylines. (Nekkid women commandos i'm referring to )
Secondary modes is just getting truer to real life. That's why i was in the royal engineers- any idiot can learn to fire a rifle. Train the same idiot to erect a sixty foot bridge that can hold eighty five tonnes and you have :yes: an asset rather than cannon fodder. Most things have been, and are multi-role nowadays and it's not gonna change anytime soon :)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
They definitely are not going for the realistic look at all.  The Tiberium series is definitely harder and grittier while RA has always had a more 1960s sci fi feel to it.  Even the original although RA2 is really where they established that slightly over the top feel to it and yeah the units do look a bit like toys and thats the charm.
- IceFire

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, even RA1 had its fair share of goofiness, especially the console version which had different cutscenes. (see this or this for example)

As for the peacekeeper, if it's anything like RA2's GI it could be quite powerful. I remember the GI was really easy to get to veteran status (at least in the singleplayer campaign) and two or three veterans, when deployed, could tear through even apocalypse tanks before they got into range.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They definitely are not going for the realistic look at all.  The Tiberium series is definitely harder and grittier while RA has always had a more 1960s sci fi feel to it.  Even the original although RA2 is really where they established that slightly over the top feel to it and yeah the units do look a bit like toys and thats the charm.

I would have  gone with 1930s scifi personally, except it looks too realistic for that. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mika

Well, even RA1 had its fair share of goofiness, especially the console version which had different cutscenes. (see this or this for example)

In my opinion the Russian ending wasn't that far from truth - it also made me smile, for reasons undisclosed here. The first one about ants, though...

Compared to original C&C, C&C3 is quite censored from actual signs of violence. There are no soldiers blowing up to pieces, no burning victims after flamethrowers, no soldiers trying to some small movements after being hit etc. etc. This is a development direction I oppose, it would be better if they showed the brutality in full scale. Though that would cut off the youngest players, but that is not necessarily a bad idea.

I'm trained as a rifle man, but I recall that shooting with the rifle was only one thing I had to do. RPGs are an integral part of a rifle squad, as are the grenades, active camouflaging, setting minefields, asking for fire support and partly the AAA and so on. Then in C&C, I never understood why I, as a field commander (supposing rank like colonel or above), for example, would specifically need to order a single soldier to throw a grenade, or a minelayer to drop a single mine exactly there. Those are actions that should happen automatically. Also I'm still wondering why only the combat engineer unit can take control of enemy buildings, if he cannot even shoot - and on top of that cannot help to construct buildings faster?

But then again, C&C and C&C3 are still fun to play, though I time by time end up cursing the suicidal behavior of certain units that don't back up and get repaired or healed automatically. And you can't even issue an order about that!

Mika
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Its game balancing. You can't have a unit in game be able to do everything. C&C3 is an RTS, Real Time Strategy, not simulation, which is the main reason why they have multiple squad types doing what, in real life, be accomplished by a single squad.

I do agree, that C&C series needs a better AI in certain aspects. Anyone who's every played Dark Reign will recall that the AI in that game could be set to retreat when their health had hit a certain level. They could also be set to return fire only, or search and destroy. That was a shining example of AI that C&C could do better with. But the problem with implementing this is that you would need extra commands on the interface to achieve that, and they would risk cluttering up the interface, which i can assure you, would make the game far worse.