Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 7708 times)

Nope, they lied. Everyone "lies" about release dates (i.e., they are always more optimistic than reality), but this is beyond that level by now. This was supposedly to be released by late 2014. Not "smaller things", but the game. The game. The game.

But where are people basing this off from? All I see on the original Kickstarter is that apperently the backer rewards shipped have an "Estimated delivery" of Nov 2014, but that's not an official release date but rather the "Estimated delivery time for the backer rewards" which is ... weird (also because the way the whole crowdfunding went across multiple platforms.

If you're going to call it a lie I am really going to need something a little bit more concrete then that. I don't doubt that Star Citizen is prone to ridicilous feature creep (... fps module...), but please help me cut trough the hysterical bull**** here.

Offline Luis Dias

It's not hysterical. They promised a late 2014 release and for all I've seen they won't be releasing by 2016, and probably 2017. That is a lie. Call it "hysterical" all you want, call for "more evidence" all you want, all I see here is your usual state of denial that is so part of your charm.

Offline MikeRoz

Nope, they lied. Everyone "lies" about release dates (i.e., they are always more optimistic than reality), but this is beyond that level by now. This was supposedly to be released by late 2014. Not "smaller things", but the game. The game. The game.

But where are people basing this off from? All I see on the original Kickstarter is that apperently the backer rewards shipped have an "Estimated delivery" of Nov 2014, but that's not an official release date but rather the "Estimated delivery time for the backer rewards" which is ... weird (also because the way the whole crowdfunding went across multiple platforms.

If you're going to call it a lie I am really going to need something a little bit more concrete then that. I don't doubt that Star Citizen is prone to ridicilous feature creep (... fps module...), but please help me cut trough the hysterical bull**** here.
The story is that the unexpected success of the initial crowdfunding campaign led to both the abandonment of plans to court outside investors and the increase of scope to something more befitting the amount of money raised. Nevertheless, Chris Roberts was still giving end-2014 release dates in interviews as late as May 2013 - though note by this point he was saying the release would be an alpha.

Right now, aside from upcoming alpha milestones, the most concrete full release date we've been given is "2016" for the first part of Squadron 42. Very few in the community actually expect that date to be met, but there is optimism that early 2017 is doable. I'm somewhat more skeptical. When PC Gamer did their cover story last year, they didn't have any in-engine gameplay to show. None. Just verbal concepts and things in the editor.

I am kind of curious, knowing what we know now, whether the dates would have been met if the initial crowdfunding had earned exactly the minimum to fund the project, and not hit or blown past any stretch goals.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

It's not hysterical. They promised a late 2014 release and for all I've seen they won't be releasing by 2016, and probably 2017. That is a lie. Call it "hysterical" all you want, call for "more evidence" all you want, all I see here is your usual state of denial that is so part of your charm.

The whole internet ****storm around Star Citizen is definitely hysterical. I mean, c'mon, do you read comment threads? Have you seen Spoon spamming in this very thread?
Also, you could just answer the question instead of finding excuses to be a dick again.

The story is that the unexpected success of the initial crowdfunding campaign led to both the abandonment of plans to court outside investors and the increase of scope to something more befitting the amount of money raised. Nevertheless, Chris Roberts was still giving end-2014 release dates in interviews as late as May 2013 - though note by this point he was saying the release would be an alpha.

Right now, aside from upcoming alpha milestones, the most concrete full release date we've been given is "2016" for the first part of Squadron 42. Very few in the community actually expect that date to be met, but there is optimism that early 2017 is doable. I'm somewhat more skeptical. When PC Gamer did their cover story last year, they didn't have any in-engine gameplay to show. None. Just verbal concepts and things in the editor.

I am kind of curious, knowing what we know now, whether the dates would have been met if the initial crowdfunding had earned exactly the minimum to fund the project, and not hit or blown past any stretch goals.

Me too. Especially with stuff like this happening.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The whole internet ****storm around Star Citizen is definitely hilarious.
FTFY

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You are not very smart if you think my just posting here is 'hysterical'.

Derek smart
Urutorahappī!!

Have you seen Spoon spamming in this very thread?

Spoon's septupost of pure hate is some of the most accurate coverage ever done on SC.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Anyone remember Star marine?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Luis Dias

Also, you could just answer the question instead of finding excuses to be a dick again.

Wanna ask if the Earth's round too and then complain people are being "dickish" to you?

I told you to go to Kickstarter. Was that "too hard" for you Joshua? "Oh stop making dick jokes, Luis". Nah. That was only the beggining.

You're asking about ma dick, well here's ma dick, Joshua. Yeah it's ****ing really really big. And VERTICAL too. That's how I roll:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
<Moderator mode ="on">

Could every single one of you please calm the **** down?

However much scorn we think SC is worthy of, that does not extend to an open license to calling SC fans names here.
</Moderator>

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
>One of the most complex games ever envisioned
>hurr durr why is it not complete and bug free after 3.5 years of development durrr

As I said before, end of 2017 is really the earliest you can truly judge the game. Compare with MA Andromeda which is in development since 2012 and release date is in 2017.
Urutorahappī!!

Wanna ask if the Earth's round too and then complain people are being "dickish" to you?

I told you to go to Kickstarter. Was that "too hard" for you Joshua? "Oh stop making dick jokes, Luis". Nah. That was only the beggining.

You're asking about ma dick, well here's ma dick, Joshua. Yeah it's ****ing really really big. And VERTICAL too. That's how I roll:

But where are people basing this off from? All I see on the original Kickstarter is that apperently the backer rewards shipped have an "Estimated delivery" of Nov 2014, but that's not an official release date but rather the "Estimated delivery time for the backer rewards" which is ... weird

Can you start reading my posts instead of looking at your dick? I mean, I don't know your dick, butt...

:P

Spoon's posts actually provided a lot more insight there.

---

As a more general note, none of this constitutes "Lying" about the release date. Lying is a case of you deliberately making a false statement. Never explain to malice that which you can explain by incompetence.

(I am totally not ruling out incompetence).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:14:33 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Unlike all the starcitizens, I guess I just don't understand gamedevelopment.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Luis Dias, your dick is really long
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Joshua, Star Citizen is, at best, an overpromising, incompetently led and shoddily developed game. At worst, it's an ongoing attempt to milk a couple whales in return for jpegs.

I have been defending CIG and SC for a long time on these forums. But then, with every. single. ****ing. release, they manage to erode what little is left of my confidence in them. Every single ****ing blog post, every single half-hour video they make where they say nothing, makes me want to trust these people less. Those allegations by Smart, or those bits of dirty laundry The Escapist dug up? They may not be true (DS in particular being rather guilty of overpromising in his campaign against CIG), but they have a ring of truthfulness to them.

Then there are the indisputable facts: CIG's management team, apart from the unholy triangle of Roberts, Gardiner and jesus-christ-WHY Lesnick, has undergone massive changes over the time this project has run. They're now at what, their third or fourth lead designer? Their community is unbelievably toxic, with Lesnick being an incompetent idiot who wouldn't know how to run a community if his life depended on it and SC supporters resembling nothing so much as an honest-to-god prosperity gospel cult who believe that they will be saved (=be playing SC), if only they continue to shower praise (=money) on the chosen prophet (=Christ Roberts).

And all while this is going on, we have an example of a game right in front of our eyes that does a LOT of what SC was promising to do (minus single-player cinematic campaign), developed for a fraction of the price, but released and turning a tidy profit for its developer, enough so that they regularly release big content updates that inch that game ever closer to what SC was promised to be initially. That game is Elite, of course, and it is what SC should be.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

<snip>

I'm not arguing against *any* of that.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Never explain to malice that which you can explain by incompetence.

(I am totally not ruling out incompetence).

there is a point beyond which incompetence becomes indistinguishable from malice, e.g. when you have been entrusted with $100 million to deliver a product
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah well when you promise to deliver a game on an "estimated" timeframe that is so specific as NOVEMBER 2014, I tend to make the wild (I know, I know!) amazing deduction that they are actually speaking of a "delivery date".

Crazy, right? I mean, it's the land-of-the-insane kinda judgement, amirite?

Luis Dias, your dick is really long

Now we're talking.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

CoD killer FPS combat
What a beautiful game
Urutorahappī!!