Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 912170 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
The FS1 Alpha 1 if still present is probably at least a ship captain, probably a rear admiral or so.
Well if he was going to do that, he'd actually have to change operational specializations. If he's still there, he's probably Chief of Air ops or sitting on some high up military council.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All we know about him is that Martin Mandho visited him once.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The FS1 Alpha 1 if still present is probably at least a ship captain, probably a rear admiral or so.

Not to mention that in 50 years, he'd be significantly higher than a ship captain or rear admiral.  People who are 50 years old are those things.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

There was, in fact, a very important meeting that people don't pay enough attention to.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well if he was going to do that, he'd actually have to change operational specializations. If he's still there, he's probably Chief of Air ops or sitting on some high up military council.

Giving a destroyer command to a former flight officer makes plenty of sense. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Giving a destroyer command to a former flight officer makes plenty of sense. :P

A flag command, but I wouldn't give him the ship.

Offline -Norbert-

That really depends on what he did in those 50 years. Steele started out as a fighter pilot too and switched to commanding capitol ships later on if I remember his resume correctly.
50 years are plenty of time to take command of a cruiser (probably Fenris or Leviathan, before they were decomissioned) and then work his way up the scales.
Though with the lack of destroyers in Sol, CO of a destroyer is a job that's rather hard to get I guess, unless the Fedayeen actually managed to have one without anyone knowing about it.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

There is no sunset in space. :doubt:

Hah. :p

Also, one more image to add to my wallpaper queue (behind the LHC images I got last week).

My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

There was, in fact, a very important meeting that people don't pay enough attention to.

The ancient dialogues, I presume (since I believe you have them as visions)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Nissan

No, he's talking about a mention of "one of the GTVA's most decorated pilots" in the BP prose. I'll quote it below...

Quote from: How did Ubuntu come to power?
In February 2345, Professor Martin Mandho, a major Restoration figure with former ties to the Galactic Terran Intelligence, went into closed retreat with certain spiritual figures popular in the Party.

Two months later, Mandho requested a meeting with one of the GTA’s most decorated pilots, as well as Vasudan survivors of the attack on the Lucifer.

Whatever happened in that meeting galvanized Mandho and the inner circle of the Restoration Project. Two years later, the Project declared itself the Ubuntu Party (taking on the name of an Afro-Asian populist political party that many of its founding members belonged to) and announced its intent to reestablish a system-wide government and take custody of mankind's future.

There's also this:

Quote from: Who are the Fedayeen?
They appear to date back to Martin Mandho’s 2345 conference with GTA flight corps veterans.

It is rumored that Vasudan survivors of the Lucifer attack are present amongst the Fedayeen.

In a society built on openness, transparence, and general nonviolence, the function of the Fedayeen is unclear and puzzling. The existence of the Fedayeen was a major aspect of the GTVA’s decision to go to war.

So while the most prominent in-game reference to the Fedayeen (aside from the ending) mentions the Vasudans, there's an implication here that Alpha 1 was also involved in the creation of the unit.

Having gone back to read it now, though, I'm more curious about how the Fedayeen were a major reason the GTVA went to war. One, it's surprising that the GTVA knew this unit existed if people within the UEF didn't even know for sure, and two, how is the existence of a black ops unit enough to spark a war of this magnitude?

I'm fixated on the fact that two of the people we know to be involved with the Fedayeen both were known to experience visions: Alpha 1, who in BP canon experienced the Ancient monologues as visions, and Noemi, who has Ken in her head. Not sure what to make of it though...
"Uh, yeah, I mean it's tough to say, woulda-coulda-shoulda, ifs and buts like candy and nuts, you know, you never know.  This, that, and the other thing.  Who knows?  You know, there are a lot of what-ifs.  You know, my whole life is a lot of what-ifs."
- San Antonio Spurs F Matt Bonner

Offline Qent

I'm fixated on the fact that two of the people we know to be involved with the Fedayeen both were known to experience visions: Alpha 1, who in BP canon experienced the Ancient monologues as visions, and Noemi, who has Ken in her head.
Spoiler:
And both Beis.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Spoiler:
That's too much NAGARI in one place. That can't be good.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Nobody is crossing the quantum streams, yet, are they?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

No, he's talking about a mention of "one of the GTVA's most decorated pilots" in the BP prose. I'll quote it below...

Quote from: How did Ubuntu come to power?
In February 2345, Professor Martin Mandho, a major Restoration figure with former ties to the Galactic Terran Intelligence, went into closed retreat with certain spiritual figures popular in the Party.

Two months later, Mandho requested a meeting with one of the GTA’s most decorated pilots, as well as Vasudan survivors of the attack on the Lucifer.

Whatever happened in that meeting galvanized Mandho and the inner circle of the Restoration Project. Two years later, the Project declared itself the Ubuntu Party (taking on the name of an Afro-Asian populist political party that many of its founding members belonged to) and announced its intent to reestablish a system-wide government and take custody of mankind's future.

There's also this:

Quote from: Who are the Fedayeen?
They appear to date back to Martin Mandho’s 2345 conference with GTA flight corps veterans.

It is rumored that Vasudan survivors of the Lucifer attack are present amongst the Fedayeen.

In a society built on openness, transparence, and general nonviolence, the function of the Fedayeen is unclear and puzzling. The existence of the Fedayeen was a major aspect of the GTVA’s decision to go to war.

So while the most prominent in-game reference to the Fedayeen (aside from the ending) mentions the Vasudans, there's an implication here that Alpha 1 was also involved in the creation of the unit.

Having gone back to read it now, though, I'm more curious about how the Fedayeen were a major reason the GTVA went to war. One, it's surprising that the GTVA knew this unit existed if people within the UEF didn't even know for sure, and two, how is the existence of a black ops unit enough to spark a war of this magnitude?

I'm fixated on the fact that two of the people we know to be involved with the Fedayeen both were known to experience visions: Alpha 1, who in BP canon experienced the Ancient monologues as visions, and Noemi, who has Ken in her head. Not sure what to make of it though...

You misunderstand me, that's the exact thing I meant. And I'm fairly sure the main thing that the governments of Earth learned from that was about Alpha 1's visions of the Ancients, plus a whole lot of Vasudan mythology, and about the concept of Nagari
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
This tells me exactly why the Terrans went to war.  They didn't want to leave the future of Humanity(and possibly the Vasudans) in the hands of people who will rearrange all of society all the way down to individual psychological conditioning(this part is particularly distasteful) to further their ends, especially when said designs are spawned by visions and portents. 

What next, are you gonna have Noemi throw a container bones to make the final decision?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This tells me exactly why the Terrans went to war.  They didn't want to leave the future of Humanity(and possibly the Vasudans) in the hands of people who will rearrange all of society all the way down to individual psychological conditioning(this part is particularly distasteful) to further their ends, especially when said designs are spawned by visions and portents. 

Now you're catchin' on.  ;7

Of course I doubt you'd be totally against Ubuntu. They're very free market, almost Objectivist in their focus on individual excellence and development, and big science-technology-and-exploration guys.

Also the 'individual psychological conditioning' is not much different from what any society does, just a bit more understood.

You know, you'd think this was a professional venture, backed by funding and shareholders. But for something like this to simply come from a small group of people with a vision is simply amazing and a testament to willpower and faith. Simply amazing work guys and gals.

Offline -Norbert-

Of course I doubt you'd be totally against Ubuntu. They're very free market, almost Objectivist in their focus on individual excellence and development, and big science-technology-and-exploration guys.

Also the 'individual psychological conditioning' is not much different from what any society does, just a bit more understood.
But how would the GTVA know that?
Not even UEF citizens know for sure wether the Fedayeen really exist. And even if they knew, they still wouldn't know why they were founded.
So how can the GTVA know? All the GTVA knew before the invasion was, what was readily available on the internet (or whatever succeded it) and what they could evasdrop with their spy drones.
And somehow I doubt the Fedyeen were able to keep their existance a secret by being sloppy with communications.
So how can they be a main reason for the GTVA to go to war, if the GTVA had no way of knowing anything other than rumors and hear-say?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

But how would the GTVA know that?
Not even UEF citizens know for sure wether the Fedayeen really exist. And even if they knew, they still wouldn't know why they were founded.
So how can the GTVA know? All the GTVA knew before the invasion was, what was readily available on the internet (or whatever succeded it) and what they could evasdrop with their spy drones.
And somehow I doubt the Fedyeen were able to keep their existance a secret by being sloppy with communications.
So how can they be a main reason for the GTVA to go to war, if the GTVA had no way of knowing anything other than rumors and hear-say?

Interesting question, isn't it?

If there are persistent, wide-spread rumors about some ultra-top-secret organization, I'd say there was a better than 50% chance it exists.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems