Author Topic: Interview article with Seth Dickinson - AKA our very own General Battuta!  (Read 14348 times)

Re: Interview article with Seth Dickinson - AKA our very own General Battuta!
Somehow you've got the magic ability to write articles that make every thread go OT with a single word. :D

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Somehow you've got the magic ability to write articles that make every thread go OT with a single word. :D

I know. :sigh: The thing is it's never intentional. If I was an edgy $hitlord I would be proud of the reaction, but since I'm not one I can't help but think everyone needs to chill out a bit. Ah well, such is life  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
People grabbed onto Luis' quote and then couldn't back down once they'd leapt to conclusions. Or they were mad going in and wanted something to latch onto to express their political disagreement in a coded way. It's not your fault.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I could be wrong here, I've been on HLP since it was part of 3dactionplanet / gamespy, but I thought I'd seen Batoot-toot prior to 2009.

This one? https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=64196.0

Nah,  I just inferred from the opening paragraph that General B had only been on here since 2009, but I've just looked and he was here 3 years prior...  At least in his current form  :nod:

Talking of which, my original profile (changed due to my work on the original Wing commander Mod with Tolwyn) can be found here https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=224 and as shows, I was the 224th person to register.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:20:12 pm by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Atleast you didn't had your username changed by admin, so people would believe you had, like, 3 split personalities. :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I don't recall that happening to anyone, on topic though, this interview made me aware of Exordia and I am intrigued (as appears to be half the internet).   I looked at https://www.sethdickinson.com/ for some info but it's not been updated for a wee while......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I don't recall that happening to anyone, on topic though, this interview made me aware of Exordia and I am intrigued (as appears to be half the internet).   I looked at https://www.sethdickinson.com/ for some info but it's not been updated for a wee while......

This is worth a look if you haven't seen it. https://livestream.com/thecommons/NYRSF-180703-Mack-Dickinson/videos/177222716 our very own Gen Bat. reading from Exordia :-) I listened for a while then stopped when I though "Yup, going to read that" to avoid spoilers :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

this thread has missed out on the real story which is battuta's extremely suspicious resemblance to this well-known college ball player:

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really wish you hadn’t posted this on the Destiny subreddit, Iain. I was willing to answer those questions as a coda to the BP stuff, but advertising this as an interview about Destiny could really piss Bungie off. I make most of my money from them so this could be a pretty major blow if it keeps me from getting work.

Did Iain posted it there against your will or wasn't that clarified before the interview?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I really wish you hadn’t posted this on the Destiny subreddit, Iain. I was willing to answer those questions as a coda to the BP stuff, but advertising this as an interview about Destiny could really piss Bungie off. I make most of my money from them so this could be a pretty major blow if it keeps me from getting work.

My apologies, I didn't realise it could cause a problem. Would you like me to delete the r/destiny post?

Bare in mind that Coin-Drop isn't a private website, so it was/is perfectly possible that someone at Bungie will see it anyway. If this was going to be a problem you could have said so earlier - I'm easily contactable on here after all. You could have said "Iain, I'm happy to answer the blue planet stuff, but I would rather not answer the Bungie stuff as I may not be at liberty to discuss it."

I did send you the interview questions months ago and I did say that if you wanted to make any changes or omissions I was perfectly happy to do so, you just had to say the word. You didn't say anything so I had no reason to suspect there would be a problem. You answered all the questions so I assumed there was no problem.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:05:04 pm by Iain Baker »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If you can, I think that'd be best (the Reddit post, not the interview). It's probably fine but better safe than sorry.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
If you can, I think that'd be best (the Reddit post, not the interview). It's probably fine but better safe than sorry.

Done. Clearer communications in advance next time methinks and we won't have problems like this again.

This applies to everyone at HLP BTW if I am to continue to serve as Social Media Manager. I need clear info in advance.

If submit a draft of something and ask for feedback and fact checking I need it before it goes live not after. For example, having to re-do the Blue Planet trilogy articles because I got the acts system wrong was humiliating. I had specifically asked for fact checking in advance which would have prevented this but no one bothered.

Its not like I am getting paid for this, and I have today been offered a role as SMM somewhere else. If I don't start getting some cooperation here I will take my time and effort elsewhere.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bare in mind that Coin-Drop isn't a private website, so it was/is perfectly possible that someone at Bungie will see it anyway. If this was going to be a problem you could have said so earlier - I'm easily contactable on here after all. You could have said "Iain, I'm happy to answer the blue planet stuff, but I would rather not answer the Bungie stuff as I may not be at liberty to discuss it."

I did send you the interview questions months ago and I did say that if you wanted to make any changes or omissions I was perfectly happy to do so, you just had to say the word. You didn't say anything so I had no reason to suspect there would be a problem. You answered all the questions so I assumed there was no problem.

I was fine with the information you gave me: an interview about diversity in games focused mostly on Blue Planet, with some Destiny questions I dodged.

You did not give me any heads up about then posting the interview to the Destiny subreddit and advertising it as insight into a Destiny writer's process writing material for Destiny. That's a pretty major rebranding, and moves it from "Seth talking about his own work" to "Seth talking about Destiny" in Bungie's eyes.

C'mon, that's how journalism works. ;)

Offline Luis Dias

People grabbed onto Luis' quote and then couldn't back down once they'd leapt to conclusions. Or they were mad going in and wanted something to latch onto to express their political disagreement in a coded way. It's not your fault.

Indeed I never thought it would degrade the thread like this! I thought it was funny in its aggressiveness that's all!

And yeah I agree it was a silly interview in general, with almost every question in need of reframing and correction... all I got from it was a curious story about a tragic sci fi classic and how silly questions can annoy the hell out of Seth :D

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I have to agree with Luis here. I found almost all of the questions were either constructing a false dichotomy or were extremely reductive. The whole interview seemed to be biased toward a particular viewpoint and trying to force a particular line of discussion to advance a point, rather than providing a platform for Battuta to expound on his views on his terms. Really disappointing.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum

Either contribute something meaningful or **** off.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”