Author Topic: HLP's Family Recipes (Resurrected)  (Read 15257 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Unconventional spaghetti with meat sauce

1 lb. ground beef (80/20 to 90/10, preferably)
1 lb. mild Italian sausage
2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
2 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with juice or (preferably) several fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
2 8 oz. cans of sliced mushrooms, drained or (preferably) several fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, diced/chopped/minced/whatever (more or less to taste--I prefer more)
1/2 c. Chardonnay, if you can spare it (kind of weird to have a white wine in a red sauce, I know, but it adds a little depth and complexity)
Herbs to taste: Basil, oregano, thyme, sage, bay leaf (I hope I don't have to tell you that these should preferably be fresh)
Salt to taste

In a skillet, brown, crumble, and drain the beef and the sausage. While that's going on, sauté the garlic and mushrooms in your saucepan with a little olive oil. Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the meat, the tomatoes, and the tomato sauce and mix in the herbs and salt. Let simmer all day, stirring occasionally. Serve over spaghetti noodles.

I usually end up substituting the tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce for a canned spaghetti sauce such as Hunt's. If you do that, then you don't need to add extra salt and can cut back a little on the herbs. A small squeeze of lemon juice will also help to brighten up the heavy, "preservative-y" flavor of the canned spaghetti sauce.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub