Author Topic: freespacemods.net down  (Read 2351 times)

freespacemods.net down
Ok, I think I tried everything, I tried from two different computers, from two different isps, even changed my dns server a few times to see if that was maybe it, and I can not get to www.freespacemods.net. The automated installer tries to snag stuff from there, it looks like thats the only place it tries, and then it says that all mirrors have failed and skips each section, repeating over and over. I did notice that wmc.freespacemods.net works, though doesn't seem to have the downloads I need.

So is there another place I can find the mods and whatnot, or (and here's where I tried everything I could think of, including browsing the forums and the faqs and all that) am I an idiot and I'm missing something really really obvious and I'm going to feel like a total fool in roughly 5 minutes when someone points out the obvious. Though I suppose feeling like an fool is worth it if I get to play freespace2 again, its been a few years (and I originally played it when it first came out, then a few other times since then with whatever the current builds of these projects have been, you guys rock btw.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: freespacemods.net down
It does indeed look down. That is bad.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed.

Some mods have mirrors mentioned in their release threads, but FSMods has become the #1 site for FS-related downloads in recent months.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well as long as it appears that I'm not totally crazy, I'll throw out a bit more info. I'm pretty sure that it was up friday night, but was not as of sunday night (gmt +5 time zone.)

I snagged a little bit from it on friday (the main core files), and then when I went back to get the rest on sunday night/monday morning I first got the error (all this was done with the auto installer.) I've since then poked it through firefox as well as with the auto installer every 3 or 4 hours (sometimes a bit more often if I was around) to see if it was a temporary thing, and have gotten zero response any of those times. So it seems like it worked on friday night and has been down completely since then.

And to head off calls for my decapitation for being the one to break it, I say "nuh-uh, did not" in a firm and clear voice. Certainly that should do it.

If you're in dire need of something to play, there's always the FreeSpace 2 sector - older and smaller than FSMods, but still has plenty of stuff.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, what do you want to play? I know Blue Planet has plenty of off-FSmods hosting. I imagine Silent Threat Reborn does too. Both are good campaigns.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, Blue Planet should still run over the installer. Our FTP is still up.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Those were the first two campaigns that came to mind.  :nervous: I will try to find others with off-FSMods hosting as well.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I'm going to get everything back up and running with drupal as soon as possible, There was a major exploit found in e107 over the weekend, and my site was one to be hit. My host was kind enough to pick up on this, and disable the site before any real damage could be done. In the meantime, I plan to get the site up in it's original state after I clean up from the attack.

EDIT: It is now back, drupal coming very soon.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:29:30 am by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
:yes2: excellent :yes:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Eh. Just how many times fsmods needs to be attacked and exploited. Isn't this third time already?

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Eh. Just how many times fsmods needs to be attacked and exploited. Isn't this third time already?

Second, both thanks to security flaws in e107. I made a horrible choice going with it way back when. Should have started with drupal or joomla. Now switching everything over to drupal is going to be a huge pain. There's pretty much no effective way to maintain all of the links either, so I'm going to have to go through and edit links, or make some kind of script that redirects every single e107 link to the files themselves, or to the drupal pages.
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's a bit strange that anybody is interesting in attacking the site from which everybody can download everything for free.
I don't know what they want from FSMods.

Offline achtung

• ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
It's a bit strange that anybody is interesting in attacking the site from which everybody can download everything for free.
I don't know what they want from FSMods.
I highly doubt the attack is solely directed at FSMods. I'm guessing someone just used google to compile a list of sites that ran e107. They then used the list to attack all of the sites on the list they possibly could.

Formerly known as Swantz