Author Topic: FREE - Elite Dangerous: Arena  (Read 2368 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
FREE - Elite Dangerous: Arena
http://store.steampowered.com/app/443080
"Elite Dangerous: Arena is free on PC for a limited time only – download now and play anytime! Offer ends 11th July 2016."
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Re: FREE - Elite Dangerous: Arena
If you're interested in trying one of the best-tuned competitive space sims in decades then I strongly recommend checking this out, especially if E:D as a whole doesn't really interest you.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
well it's free, so added, but it's got a pretty awful user rating.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's a great game, but have they added a ****ing in-game chat yet?

Offline Luis Dias

Count me interested. Free is free.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Yup, I'll be snagging this.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Kszyhu

Poor defenseless Arena's Steam rating, stomped into the ground so hard there's no need to dig a grave...

By the way, a pr0-tip: When in doubt (and by "in" I mean "under" and by "doubt" I mean "heavy fire") - use chaff.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Free space pew pew! Weeeeeee!!!!
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Downloading now.

So, if anyone wants to try this out one evening (I'm on GMT-7), I'm in.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's the first time I play a multiplayer game in which I manage to win more than a few matches, I've lost only two matches and the other I alwyas managed to win (classic deathmatch) even with my internet connection being its usual self with targets disappearing in midair and whatnot, probably it must be full of newbies playing with a gamepad or mouse and keyboard.
I just wonder why there isn't a key to acquire the closest ship shooting at you, or at least the "most dangerous threat" key doesn't seem to work in Arena.
I've also been doing the training missions, principally I kept doing the travel, docking and landing missions because piloting a ship just felt good.
It also imported the control configuration from the combat demo, which was nice.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I'm fairly sure that the targeting controls are kept deliberately limited to "target under crosshair" in order to make you more reliant on the radar to spot people and to make it a lot more common to lose track of an enemy.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
well it's free, so added, but it's got a pretty awful user rating.
It's mostly because of the third party login and lack of players.

I'm fairly sure that the targeting controls are kept deliberately limited to "target under crosshair" in order to make you more reliant on the radar to spot people and to make it a lot more common to lose track of an enemy.
Perhaps, not that losing track is that easy, I mostly go after players that are already engaged as I still have to get the hang of unassisted flying.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's the first time I play a multiplayer game in which I manage to win more than a few matches, I've lost only two matches and the other I alwyas managed to win (classic deathmatch) even with my internet connection being its usual self with targets disappearing in midair and whatnot, probably it must be full of newbies playing with a gamepad or mouse and keyboard.

Wouldn't that give them a pretty big competitive advantage? :7

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Wouldn't that give them a pretty big competitive advantage? :7
In fact I was surprised that I kept winning.
Well, I imagine that I did disappear at the same time so while I didn't have anybody to shoot at nobody was shooting at me either.

Also, most players seemed to be quite new to the genre, there was one that I think either tried to camp or forgot to throttle up, they were just standing there shooting at things.

Half my deaths were because I left the player area and I didn't notice the compass at first, the other half were by the few players who knew what they were doing, but the first two matches were a bit too easy.

And I'm not exactly an ace pilot (understatement of the century), I keep throttling up or down at the wrong moments and I have the reflexes of a sloth on LSD but most players were apparently worse.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:37:45 pm by Det. Bullock »

Having a physical throttle in E:D is a pretty major advantage over the default button control schemes because of how the movement mechanics rely on hitting pegged speeds, but you can quickly overcome that by defining a couple more keybinds.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Having a physical throttle in E:D is a pretty major advantage over the default button control schemes because of how the movement mechanics rely on hitting pegged speeds, but you can quickly overcome that by defining a couple more keybinds.

It's not that different when using W and S (with A and D as yaw) and a stick, I played the combat demo like that before getting the throttle.

It's more that many of the players I've met never played Elite or similar games before.

EDIT

It seems better players have surfaced, probably veterans that smelled the new preys, I still managed to win a match but mostly I got third/fourth, one match I ended up last, it's closer to my usual multiplayer record but not quite.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:18:42 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I literally dreamed about this last night.  I downloaded it several days ago but haven't had a free block of time without interruptions to set up graphics, controls, etc. & actually play.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Is it me or the training missions in Arena are easier compared to their Combat Demo counterparts?
In the combat demo I never got to the Anaconda, here instead I've managed to get to it at first try.
I still have to destroy it of course.
Also, the "advanced" incursion for some reason was easier to me than the "plain" incursion, wasn't it supposed to be more difficult?

Yes, I couldn't find any players yesterday (or rather, this morning, boy, I HATE night shifts), guess that finding players outside of weekends is gonna be difficult.