Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74630 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Test after test, run after run, explosion after explosion, it takes me roughly the same amount of time to eliminate all four beams and the flaks. It is still hard.

The only difference is that the AI seems to attack the forward flak when ordered to, where in the retail version they would seem to ignore the command. And it has nothing to do with the flaks exposure; the AI used to not even attempt an attack. For whatever reason, they will attack it and are somewhat successful now. I have no desire to recreate an obvious bug, but even if I did, I have no idea why the AI used to ignore that specific command on the retail Sath.

:) :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nice work.  :)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Why did you dive?! You...had to get...hit...

...especially by something so awesome.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Just an update:

The Sathanas is, by most accounts, ready for release. That being said, Zacam is going over some of the details to assure a successful release. My goal is to release today, as tomorrow I fly out to DC and will not have access to anything. It will also give you guys some time to pick it apart, as you all often do :)

Three versions will (likely) be released, however not necessarily all at once. They are:

Advanced: Uses 4096^2 textures.
Mid: Uses 2048^2 textures.
Low: Uses 1024^2 textures.

Zacam has been working on the low end versions, and I must say, the quality retention even at 1024^2 is incredible. Anyways, stay tuned, I hope to release soon.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Awesome! I'm glad something releases relatively quickly after being shown ;) I'm still waiting for some finished models to be released (Probably will be 3.6.14 or 3.7, so that's a while away). Looking forward to play the game with such awesome Sathanas to oppose the Colossus.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I would strongly encourage people to direct their attention to the first post... keep an eye on it.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
I would strongly encourage people to direct their attention to the first post... keep an eye on it.
Epic.
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The moment that I nearly cried in FreeSpace 2.

I might re-live it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I would strongly recommend keeping an eye on the first post.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Sathanas confirmed in system. Confrontation Imminent.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool... drawn-out slide show.  What is it like 1 fph?  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Yay. I'm going to let my PC rest for a while now. All that work for 3 unified sets of maps really stressed things a bit. (I didn't -have- to try to end up having them all open in Photoshop at the same time, but I did it anyway.)

Each size has been independently created at that size and natively saved only once to provide the best clarity. I was rather surprised that the 1024 size actually looks as good as it does. A credit to Rga's fine UV and Texturing skills, no less so for this being his first full on one from start to finish.

There are 3 sets to each map set for a total of 12 map files to the model. All of them were created in a unified fashion to be consistent with each other.
  • The 1024 size weighs in at ~12mb. This is 3x the size of the original, but at half the number of maps.
  • The 2048 size weighs in at ~48mb. Has better clarity to the Normal map and lessened DXT compression changes.
  • The 4096 size weighs in at ~195mb. Not for the faint of heart. Superior in every way and doesn't impact performance (FPS wise), but only if you have room.
System tests still show and retain the gains in FPS when using this model (even with the 4096 maps, which are the original map sizes) over the Retail model.

While working on these, I made a discovery that I'd like to share with folks. Baked AO. It's lovely stuff. But I highly recommend that you have it available as a separate layer, and -only- apply it to your final output for the Diffuse map.

Do not apply it to the -Shine map at all.

This will help with creating a poor-mans "Self Shadowing" effect to a great degree (especially when combined with a -Normal map) as the additive nature of the -Shine map will mute out and overlay the AO on the Diffuse when the appropriate viewing angle is hit that will "wash" it out. This has been applied to great effect with the Sathanas maps and I'm busily recreating it on other maps at present. I'm even going to go so far as to insist that any future submissions to the FSU follow having the AO as a layer that can be separately applied.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Kolgena

While working on these, I made a discovery that I'd like to share with folks. Baked AO. It's lovely stuff. But I highly recommend that you have it available as a separate layer, and -only- apply it to your final output for the Diffuse map.

Yes! Someone who agrees with me on this aspect of textures. Baked AO makes things look so much better. It should be on everything, even if it's just barely noticeable.

Where are the downloads?:)

(As a side note, those BFReds look awfully tiny)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Actually, this may surprise you, but I don't actually care for static map-baked AO. But it's unavoidable and I can't convince people NOT to do it. That being the case, I decided to share a simple accidental discovery I made that removes a lot of my reservations about what I don't like about AO baking. Namely that, with the above technique, it's no longer as "static" and can provide some means of "faking" interaction.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Kolgena

Wasn't it standard to only ever bake AO to diffuse and not specular?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Not when people are making their -Shine maps by copying the Diffuse into a new image, and doing horrible things to it.
(I still see way too many "This is exactly like the Diffuse map, just now in Greyscale" for my comfort)

¤[D+¬>

Offline Kolgena

Right.

More importantly, I was promised a DL today and I feel like being obnoxious about it.

(Jk, take your time)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Right.

More importantly, I was promised a DL today and I feel like being obnoxious about it.

(Jk, take your time)

Well fine. Go check the first post. :)

Offline Kolgena

omgomgomg

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
Sweet!