Author Topic: What happened to Teeth of the Tiger?  (Read 15878 times)

What happened to Teeth of the Tiger?
^Title says anything. TotT was one of a hand full campaigns I was looking forward to (of which most sadly disappeared over time), I played the Demo shortly after it got released and enjoyed it very much - I liked the concept of a new species and the subspace cruisers. Yet the campaign disappeared some years ago, along with the former project leader (BengalTiger), however several staff members are still around. I haven't seen that the mod has been officially cancelled nor released anything, so I wanted to know...

1. what would the story have been about? The demo was short but fairly interesting.
2. are there any assets left that could be released? The Tiigran-Merisst ships looked pretty and there were apparently several unreleased ones. Also, I don't like it to see work go to waste.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:55:50 pm by Nightmare »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What happened to Teeth of the Tiger?
The Mod was hosted in FSmods for a long time but when the admin and site-framework changed it fell off the map... At the tail end I belive only BengalTiger was still working on it AFAIK, who despite his/her general productivity mostly made assets...

I might still have some old files somewhere in bowls of backups but they are hardly up to date; I was one of the projects mission designer for a while* but since I mostly focused on missions that were set before the Tiigran-Merisst showed up (acutally the last mission I worked on had them show up)... As always I kinda dropped off to work on my own projects (back then Workings of the Warp was still a thing) and wasn't roped back in.

*Part of deal where I would get access to the assets prior to release, test and repurpose them as long as I wouldn't show and release stuff before BengalTiger.

As for story-notes, when I was working on it most of the story and plot was still up in the air - although some key points were there-there. I hate to sound like a tease but that is really all I can say.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Your post is the first I've heard it mentioned in ages. (And I'm on the team  :sigh:)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Yeah its sad when mods die, but that nobody cares about it to the point that nobody's even asking "I saw this cool thing, what happened to it" is probably worse... While this one has been obviously dead for some time, nobody asked about TI neither in several years.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Oh wow, you picked an interesting time to post this...

I was pretty much the lead modeler for the thing, working on HTLing all the Tiigran ships Bengal cooked up. It depends on who you ask really but I personally lost interest in its development due to creative differences.

1: I'll leave answers about the story question up to Bengal if he pokes his head in because, as I mentioned, creative differences, but you would have gotten to see both Shivan and Tiigran space.
2: Yes, there are a few laying around, some of which I probably still have, including an HTL Sipahi model.

I remember that the Shivans showed up (pretty much) in the demo.

2 questions...

Wasn't there some Shivan carrier as well, or was that ever finished?
And, do you you require a permission to release the things you made (in case you're interested in releasing them at all)?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I shot you a PM. I honestly don't know if I need permission to release some of this stuff or not, which is why I'm going to err on the side of caution here and say no to everything I didn't directly create myself. There was a Shivan carrier I was working on, the Vetala, which was a mirrored Ravana with the front section of a Lamia. Which.. sounds stupid, but it was actually pretty neat looking.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Anything you personally made is fair game I say.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Deal is simple: If a project is dead, and no-one is gonna make is less dead than it currently is, it's up to you to do whatever you want with your stuff. Releasing the assets is usually the best option.

I mean, it's always fully up to you if you release your work, or not. Eventual project leader may only request you to keep your work exclusive for the sake of project, but you are no to obligated to agree.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

When we started, I was doing the textures for the initial modeling, but not the later version which as been explained, went high poly. I still have some of my stuff laying on my external hard drive some where. As someone who also helped test the missions, I felt the beginning ones were really interesting. :)

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

When we started, I was doing the textures for the initial modeling, but not the later version which as been explained, went high poly. I still have some of my stuff laying on my external hard drive some where. As someone who also helped test the missions, I felt the beginning ones were really interesting. :)

Is there a chance that you release some of the things you made (of course, unless they're all depending on BengalTigers work)?

about the only thing I could release are the early textures which I did. everything else would be up to BT.

Well, early textures (without model) doesn't help that much... but thanks for the reply :)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and make a model dump here. None of this stuff ever reached the texturing stage, but I'm pretty proud of what I managed to pull off with the Sipahi using only SketchUp back in 2008. You'll either need to use SketchUp to open these, or newer versions of 3ds Max can import them as well.

Boom.

I've still got a soft spot for that Tiigran carrier, the Pierrefonds. The Vetala is pretty bomb looking too, mirrored Ravana kitbashed with a Lamia or not.

Well well well...
Most of the TotT team is still on these forums, talking about TotT. Wow, never thought I'd run into this especially as it's my 1st time logging in in a couple years.

This thread seems to be missing some input from the founder of this mod. I think I can fix it.

Behold y'all, BengalTiger is back

As stated above, the team fell apart somewhere mid project. I kept working on it for a while, but it eventually went into hibernation.
I was not the greatest programmer back in the day (still ain't) and I had a limited amount of time to do this.

Another reason was that I spent lots of my free time running an outfit in Planetside 2 (Redneck Hillbillies of Auraxis [RHoA]). There were some 80 members at the peak (we'd kick out anyone who didn't log in for more than a month so these were pretty active members).
There was a forum which I was active on, I'd do tutorials on how to play the game for newcomers, training runs and events etc (both in the outfit and with others sometimes), so it was very busy for a couple years.

Later on I moved from Poland to the US and the RHoA fell apart due to time zone issues.
Which was all great on how much free time I suddenly had, but...
I now work 12 hours a day, so I still don't have the time to work on TotT too much.
In other words it's still in hibernation.

I do have all the files somewhere though, including stuff I never shared on the forums on fsmods.
I am also waiting for some better times to finish this (maybe when I retire a few decades from now)....  :P

It was also soooo nice to see someone remember about this.

P.S. So, since this topic is up in the spotlight again - what do we do now?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

P.S. So, since this topic is up in the spotlight again - what do we do now?

PM'ing some people I'd guess?

Edit:
AAANNNDDD: WELCOME BACK :)

And cool to hear you want to finish this until 2050. :p
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:29:10 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I won't be able to commit due to 9 month old son, and new private sector EOD job meaning I'll be travelling a whole hell of a lot.  But it's good to see you back.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Life happens and I hope within 7 years, my lovely wife and myself will retire from the working world. When that happens, suddenly I'll have gobs of time on my hands and would venture back into stuff like this game. I do modeling now (No UV mapping yet as this is my biggest roadblock) Texturing is easy for me due to my professional background. Having said all this, who know what will happens between now and then. :) As what do I do currently? Well I play MechWarrior Online in Assault Mechs in a 100ton stomping robot. But I do miss strappin on a fighter and blowing up Shivians. :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hi BengalTiger,

Nice to see you back and active...

While I do want to see what will come of this, I have to say that I can't come back to help... I've to join the workforce in earnest by the end of the year 'cause I fail to "earn" my recommendations for a position that would allow me to stay in academia (also my grade average is just south of what I'd need, by a single decimal point)... so I will focus on finally pushing out portfolio stuff for myself for foreseeable future (*discomfort rising*)...

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

That really looks like I'd have to wait until 2030+. :(

@BengalTiger: Even though you're just back- do you already have some detailed plot-outline (in case enough people/somebody volunteers)? Last time I heard it was still subject to changes.