Author Topic: Release: 3.6.12 Final  (Read 225759 times)

I have a question and don't want to make a whole new thread about it.

I am using 3.6.12 and it doesn't show the shields on ships that I shoot. But when I play a campaign in .10, you can see the shields. You know when you shoot an enemy ship you should see the shield mesh around that ship the first couple of shots. Also, most of the Shivan ships don't have any red parts to them, they are just gray. Does anybody know what could be causing these two problems? I do have the mediavps_3612. Thanks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I am using 3.6.12 and it doesn't show the shields on ships that I shoot. But when I play a campaign in .10, you can see the shields. You know when you shoot an enemy ship you should see the shield mesh around that ship the first couple of shots. Also, most of the Shivan ships don't have any red parts to them, they are just gray. Does anybody know what could be causing these two problems? I do have the mediavps_3612. Thanks.

Sounds like a missing effects VP. Post a debug log and we can sort the problem out in a jiffy.

Sounds like a missing effects VP. Post a debug log and we can sort the problem out in a jiffy.
I just ran 3.6.12d and it didn't post an error log. It would be in the main freespace folder right? I went to the tech room and ran a single mission.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:54:47 pm by tcolli17 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

I just ran 3.6.12d and it didn't post an error log. It would be in the main freespace folder right? I went to the tech room and ran a single mission.

It will be called fs2_open.log, and it is located in /FreeSpace 2/data.

It will be called fs2_open.log, and it is located in /FreeSpace 2/data.

I'm trying to post it, but it is saying that I can't because it is over 50000 characters. I am trying to wrap it in code.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No need. Go to pastebin.com, paste it there, and then paste the resulting link here.

Here you go. Thanks...
http://pastebin.com/3q6SJAir

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm going to need to wait for The_E to come along to check your tags and make sure none of the MVPs are corrupt. It sure sounds like something's loading improperly but I don't immediately see an error...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, er, wait. Have you considered enabling a few more graphics options? Enable specular, glowmaps, environment maps and apply lighting to missiles in the launcher.

Oh, er, wait. Have you considered enabling a few more graphics options? Enable specular, glowmaps, environment maps and apply lighting to missiles in the launcher.
Is that going to make the game run slower? When I run blueplanet, my fps goes down below 10 sometimes and it sux. That's why I disabled some of the graphic options. But I don't see how that could be the problem because I can take the same campaign, play it in .12 and it won't have any shield effects, then just switch to .10 and it would have the shield effects.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The lack of glowmaps is why the Shivan ships are all gray.

As for the shield hits I'm not sure.

The lack of glowmaps is why the Shivan ships are all gray.

As for the shield hits I'm not sure.

There is an option for shield effects under details. Had it set to the lowest. Guess when I switch to .10 I have settings different for that pilot. Thanks for helping. Do you know anyway to decrease the quality of the beams? Because they seem to slow down my system the most.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Remove MV_Advanced from your MediaVPs folder and place it in a safe place either outside your FreeSpace 2 directory or in a FreeSpace 2 subfolder called 'unused vps' or something.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In addition, please make sure you're using the latest drivers for your card. A HD 3200 should be capable of more than just OpenGL 2.1.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hello.

Is there any change to how FS2Open reads player files?  All my player files from 3.6.10 are no longer readable.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If you are running an INF build (which you should be) you can no longer use your 3.6.10 player files but because they are all going to be obsolete anyway in the pilot code upgrade coming with 3.7 you're going to have to give them up eventually.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Inferno Builds were "edge" cases for 3.6.10. theINory a non-inferno pilot _should_ be able to be loaded by an Inferno build, but it's risky as all get out and chances corrupting the Pilot file.

If you really want to try it, copy the pilot from your freespace2\data\players\single into freespace2\data\pilots\single\inferno (I'd also recommend saving another copy somewhere else.) The files to copy will be %PilotName.pl2 and $PilotName.%Campaign.cs2. Load and cross your fingers.

There is also linked below the Inferno Builds a set called Standard. But be aware that Standard builds don't have the raised limits that Inferno builds do, and as more mods are adding more ships, Inferno has become the new Default Standard.

Standard builds also won't load some mods (Like Blue Planet) which have more ships than Standard builds can accommodate.

And that's of course assuming that the .10 pilot files haven't become corrupted themselves.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline sfried

Wait...should I clear my media VPs folder? Any new MediaVPs I have to install?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No leave your mediavps folder.  Some mods still need it.  You do need to get the 3.6.12 mediavps and the patches.  They install into a new mediavps_3612 directory.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline sfried

No leave your mediavps folder.  Some mods still need it.  You do need to get the 3.6.12 mediavps and the patches.  They install into a new mediavps_3612 directory.
I see. I think I have Media VP 3.6.10 in my folder still. I'll clear it out and just put the new files in the same directory.

Edit: Can't seem to find the patch files the post mentions.