Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374766 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: Cutscene Upgrade Project
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't bosch have a beard/sideburns?

Could be my imagination.

EDIT: wait, did he not? It's super hard to tell from the head ani.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:12:09 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Those buttons are cracking me the hell up. :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't bosh have a beard/sideburns?

Could be my imagination.

EDIT: wait, did he not? It's super hard to tell from the head ani.
He definitely never had a beard, and I'm pretty sure he didn't have much/any visible hair at all.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really don't think Bosch had facial hair. You could maaaaybe get that from the way the original is compressed. There's artifacting on the face for sure. It could be just artifacts or it could be stubble. However, my experience recreating Volition renders tells me there's no way they spent time giving him facial hair. Volition was lazy efficient with the work they created, especially in FS2.

In fact, I'm 99% confident that Bosch is the same character model used in the Command Brief cutscene with the textures switched from tan to grey/purple. He's got the same boots and and shirt style down to the cuffs. They just added a hat.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
It's really hard to tell from the old Bosch monologues, but he really did have a full white beard (and mustache); it's just that his facial hair was almost the same off-white color as his facial skin that it was very hard to tell them apart. If you look at the first Command Briefing which talks about the NTF and Bosch beginning his rebellion, that blurred ani of his face shows his facial hair a bit better, but it's still really hard to tell. (Try to imagine an old sailor with a close-cropped white full beard; I think that was the look :v: was going for.

My opinion, though, is :v: should have just made Bosch look like Ronny Cox as an Ink Suit Actor and have been done with it. Because Ronny Cox is just that awesome. :p Granted, that would have been really tough to do back in 1999, but still.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:52:23 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
He can tell by some of the pixels. Confidence, baby.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's really hard to tell from the old Bosch monologues, but he really did have a full white beard (and mustache); it's just that his facial hair was almost the same off-white color as his facial skin that it was very hard to tell them apart. If you look at the first Command Briefing which talks about the NTF and Bosch beginning his rebellion, that blurred ani of his face shows his facial hair a bit better, but it's still really hard to tell. (Try to imagine an old sailor with a close-cropped white full beard; I think that was the look :v: was going for.

Yeah, no.

Bosch's comm ani head looks more like he has a really big headset, not a beard. During the monologues, he is never shown from the front or really in profile, but there's nothing in those scenes that says "beard" to me anywhere on his face; in fact, that he seems to lack hair entirely.
This is the clearest, most well-lit shot we get of his face:

I don't know about you, but I don't see any beardage there....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
This pic shows exactly what I'm talking about: notice how his facial skin color changes below the cheekbone and ear from light pink to off-white? It's a very close-cropped beard (though it looks the same level as the skin probably due to the limitations of the animation), but it's definitely not the color of pink skin. And the off-white color of the beard matches the white of his hair above his ear. The blurred ani of Bosch's head in the Command Briefing shows the same patten, if too blurred/faded to notice on a first casual viewing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:21:46 pm by Su-tehp »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's what you see. I see a lot of compression artefacts; nothing that really, conclusively, let's me make a statement either way. Even the comm ani doesn't really lend itself to any conclusive statements; the low resolution and intentional scanline artefacting makes such details very hard to make out.
In conclusion, to present Bosch as bald and shaven is definitely not a massive departure from his original portrayal.

Here's another well-lit shot of him:

That one, to me, looks very conclusively like Bosch is quite bald, and there is nothing to suggest beardage on his cheeks.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

It doesn't look like Bosch has any hairs.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
It doesn't look like Bosch has any hairs.

Yeah, in that pic, I have to agree, Bosch looks like he's shaved his hair off the back of his head and no beard is in evidence there at all. Evidence accepted.

The Order of the Stick

We've had this conversation before, and the conclusion is always the same : Bosch never had a beard, mustache, goatee or whatever.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
He has the chest hair of a circus strongman through....   Admital shima knows this to be true.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Image Deleted
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:35:14 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mono 2 is done. I've taken a decade's worth of learning and experience with character animation and put it all together in this grand finale.... By making a character stand absolutely still and then just moving his arms a bit. Hells yeah.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:41:34 am by mjn.mixael »

Awesome job! :yes: :yes:

--

BTW, Monologue 2 is labled Monologue 1 in the OP.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just a slight critique:  In the initial scene with Bosch looking at the star and the accretion disk, the flow of material in the disk appears somewhat jerky rather than smooth.  Perhaps this is something to do with Youtube and won't be visible in the final product when seen in the game itself, but it did catch my eye.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just a slight critique:  In the initial scene with Bosch looking at the star and the accretion disk, the flow of material in the disk appears somewhat jerky rather than smooth.  Perhaps this is something to do with Youtube and won't be visible in the final product when seen in the game itself, but it did catch my eye.

Dunno. Probably YouTube? The vortex is a particle system with a constant speed and birth rate, so there's nothing on my end that could cause that.

EDIT: Oh geeze. I watched it on Youtube just now. That's Youtube. Good grief. Their compression blows. This whole cutscene is just murdered on Youtube.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:11:26 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
C-C-C-COMBO!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Dunno. Probably YouTube? The vortex is a particle system with a constant speed and birth rate, so there's nothing on my end that could cause that.

EDIT: Oh geeze. I watched it on Youtube just now. That's Youtube. Good grief. Their compression blows. This whole cutscene is just murdered on Youtube.

Does *****ute use the same compression or a better one?  There's a few other alternatives as well: https://alternativeto.net/software/youtube/