Author Topic: Hello.. Windows 10? Triple Screens?  (Read 2497 times)

Hello.. Windows 10? Triple Screens?
Hi All, just wanted to ask a few questions as new member.  I am running a windows 10 machine, so I am wondering if freespace 2 will run or not. I googled but didnt see anyone saying yes.  I also running triple screen 4:3 monitors , the total resolution of 3840x1024 and would like to learn if it is possible to use these as well.  I will of course search the forums here, but I was told to introduce myself and ask my questions here.  Thanks. 

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Hello.. Windows 10? Triple Screens?
Hi All, just wanted to ask a few questions as new member.
Hello!

I am running a windows 10 machine, so I am wondering if freespace 2 will run or not.
Yes; I and many others use Windows 10 without issue.

I also running triple screen 4:3 monitors , the total resolution of 3840x1024 and would like to learn if it is possible to use these as well.
Yes, triple monitors should work fine. Depending on your exact setup, you might want to keep the -center_res command-line option in mind.

I will of course search the forums here, but I was told to introduce myself and ask my questions here.  Thanks. 
The built-in forum search is unfortunately not very good (and/or completely broken), but googling things with "site:hard-light.net" tends to do the trick.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

wow...talk about a fast response.  THANKS.  I know little about FSO, I assume correctly that -center_res  is a setting I can make in the options?  And thanks for the tip on searching.  In other words I am not familiar with what the command line prompt is. lol.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:51:18 pm by ninjamark7 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I know little about FSO, I assume correctly that -center_res  is a setting I can make in the options?
If you mean the in-game options, then no. You can specify it in the "Advanced Settings" tab of wxLauncher by typing it into the "Custom flags" box.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Ok, cool. I did notice the requirement of a launch (wxlauncher)  is this the version I need?  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67950.0  I am assuming this isnt part of the installer. 

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
wxLauncher actually can be found in the installer; v0.10.1 is fine if you'll be using FSO 3.7.4, but if you want to try a more recently nightly build (which, unless you're willing to put up with instability and bugs, you probably don't), you'll need 0.11.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Thank you very much AdmiralRalwood, I appreciate your help and direction .. VERY MUCH!!  I give it all a go... crossing my fingers...but VERY excited to see space on 3 screens :)  Now where did i put my x52... ugh probably have to figure out how to set that up too....lol :)

Oh... and your search tip is golden.  THANKS.  Lots of people with x52s asking the same questions...lol.

The install wasint clean. It wasnt able to download some of the mods, but i can fix that later.  Other than that, just made a change in the command line like you said and it works like a sharm...AMAZING WORK !! IMPRESSED!!!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The install wasint clean. It wasnt able to download some of the mods, but i can fix that later.  Other than that, just made a change in the command line like you said and it works like a sharm...AMAZING WORK !! IMPRESSED!!!

Should be able to just re-run the Installer and it will pick up on anything it missed the first time around, unless it still can't get the files.