Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 82004 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
Oops. That was because at the time, I didn't see. Meant to edit that in. IronBeer.
Aw. All I ask is: assuming there's enough of me left, bury me with the biggest ****ing gun you can spare. When the freaks invariably drag my spirit to T'leth, I'll have some cleaning up to do!
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Balls

Viking Funeral, and I want the lobster that killed me served at the feast.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Balls

Viking Funeral, and I want the lobster that killed me served at the feast.

I shall drop a MOAB on your funeral barge. Light it up in such a way that even Odin would be envious of you.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Rookies and Technical Stuff
Shipwreck area this time. More Lobstermen, and all you rookies. 50 TUs, nobody new better than 60. This is gonna go badly!

Deathfun brings it down after the other two rookies miss. BloodEagle softened it up.

Meet the prototype tanks. We sold the design for startup funds, so they're pretty common in the world now. We called them Sea Wolf, but they weren't as fast as the Coelancanth and they were about half again as large as the new model. Of course, the Coelancanth is itself pretty much at the end of its useful lifespan, with the Gas Cannon model at the least. We need a new tank.

LordMelvin and The_Force (Is he a cop? A Jedi? A Jedi cop? We never did find out!) killed this one...after deathfun missed.

The_Force has the honor of making the first one-shot genuine kill on a Lobsterman.

Parts of ships all over the place. Bridge areas, deck houses, shaft tunnel and prop, ship bits of all sorts. There's a huge mess here. More than one vessel's worth. Frankly the area off Port Said shouldn't be this much of a mess, I can only assume the Egyptians aren't being truthful about their ship disappearances due to aliens. We'll have to station a Barracuda for patrol to map all this and see what's up.

Small alien craft take away the problem with having enough people and instead make it impossible to jam enough people in to reliably gun down Lobstermen. I was lucky BloodEagle was standing in the right place to fire a pair of snapshots with his Sonic Cannon and kill the Lobsterman here.

Despite what it looks like, this isn't from the alien ship blowing its engine. An alien threw a grenade at everyone inside the ship...but they were inside the ship, and the grenade was actually pretty short too. Some idiot just gave himself away.

Then on the next turn it throws two more. What the ****. There are a pair of grenadiers. BloodEagle gets one. LordMelvin hits the other with one shot and misses the second, but then deathfun and The_Force strike out. It looks like everyone's about to eat a grenade...when Jack Folstam fires from all the way across the map, a good eighty squares, to place a beautiful hit right into the Lobsterman's chest. You rookies owe him, 'cuz otherwise you'd all be fish food about now.

Mission Complete. A good outing for the rookies, though less-tough opponents would have been preferable.

Xenowatch performed its first successful interception, above the Arctic Circle. Since they don't yet have a Triton, we'll be sending Triton 1 and Squad 1 to handle the recovery. They'll be carrying with them some new technologies.

We knew for a long time that the aliens were using a plastic-like material of incredible strength, even better than Alien Alloys from the First Alien War, for their UFO hulls and weapons casings. But we couldn't do anything with it. It was nearly impossible to just cut in the thicknesses we recovered it in bulk off UFOs, and we couldn't cast it or mold it. It wasn't until we examined the first Deep Ones we killed that we even had a clue.

Deep Ones are coated in Aqua Plastics. Literally. The layer is very thin, far too thin to stop a weapon despite the obvious nature of the coating as an attempt at armor, and the stuff is flexible, but our examination concluded it wasn't flexible enough to eliminate the need for articulated joints in the material. Deep Ones don't have articulated joints in their coating. Examining the anatomy of their joints revealed instead natural electro-magnetic organs that we realized must be able to reshape the Aqua Plastic coating on the fly.

The result was Plastic Aqua Armor. The design is conceptionally quite advanced: compartmentalized, it reseals itself if damaged within seconds, and good to about eight hundred meters depth for the length of the typical mission. But though it was a sound design, we never deployed it. The first reason was a huge shortage of materials, as at the time we'd recovered only a couple of small UFOs. The second was that it had already been outpaced by the deployment of new alien weapons. The armor won't protect against Sonic Rifle hits and most of the Aquanauts we had at the time simply wouldn't have survived even the decreased damage.

(No seriously, Aqua Armor has 60 frontal protection. The Sonic Rifle has an average damage of 90 and max of 180. 60 damage negation ain't **** by April.)

Research into live Deep Ones, so we could better understand the mechanism, and UFO power systems eventually gave us a better option: Ion Armor. These are direct descendants of the Power Suit and Flying Suit of the First Alien War, but they have a number of new features. As with the Aqua Armor, they are self-sealing, but the rate of sealing is much improved. Someone wearing a breached suit will barely even get wet. They're also good at nearly any depth. You'll note that the all-around protection has been somewhat lessened in comparison to the Power Suit, and Flying Suit, but the frontal protection much improved. The reason is simple: we demanded and got a suit that will stop a Sonic Cannon hit to the chestplate without breaching most of the time.

We still didn't deploy it, because we were still short of materials. And by the time we weren't...

Magnetic Ion Armor improves the protection of Ion Armor much the same way Flying Suits did for Power Suits. It also solves some of the issues we've had fighting underwater. Many of the places we deploy have serious bottom currents, and visibility is usually less than forty meters. Anybody who swims up ends up getting swept along and hopelessly lost pretty fast. The Magnetic Navigation, based on alien tech, and the miniaturized alien propulsion system which can actually propel an Aquanaut around at nearly twenty knots, make it possible to move around in three dimensions safely where previously we were pretty much limited to walking around on the bottom. Bad news: it doesn't really fly on land.

The first use of Mag Ion Armor: BloodEagle parks himself on top of the Triton...

...to shoot this Gillman.

This one shot at the tank, missed, got shot at by the tank, hit, and while staggering around with a giant harpoon bolt sticking out of his chest then had The_Force blow his goddamn head off with a Sonic Cannon.

And this one? He was magic. The E, The_Force, LordMelvin, and the tank all took an aimed shot, and all missed by a good bit. We were about ready to declare him The One, when BloodEagle shot him in the crotch. Which still was kinda suboptimal, but he's a Gillman getting shot with a Sonic Cannon, so optimal placement isn't that big a deal.

Never underestimate the power of a Spoonzer. Even one that's technically obselete. Or you end up like this guy, who thought it'd be safe to step out the door and got oneshot by the tank.

The last guy runs out of the sub while The E and LordMelvin are blocking the door, rebounds off The E's armor, and gets shot in the chest by LordMelvin. Mission Complete!

You probably remember when I said we needed a new tank. We have a new tank. Two, actually. The first is the Coelancanth/Gauss.

We don't think we'll use it. The design team came in late, and it's effectively obsoleted by the next vehicle. Because our research into alien submarine construction lead us to...

A teleoperated one-fourth scale prototype, which we nicknamed “Displacer” because of its alien engine systems. It floats; it even manages to render itself so light that it floats in air, and it actually has an impressive top speed of 240 knots in or out of the water, making it more akin to an attack helicopter in behavior than a tank. As soon as the test program was completed, though, someone pointed out we had built a new tank without meaning to. The testing gear was removed and a Sonic Cannon added.

Is it the Spoonzer V or VI? Up to you guys how you want to number the Gaussie, if you do.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Since we had a precursor design in the Coelacanth/Gauss, I move that the Displacer/Sonic becomes officially known as the SpzKpfw VI "Hammerhead".
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
BAH!  SpzKpfw VI "Tiger Shark".  Has to be Tiger.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Since we had a precursor design in the Coelacanth/Gauss, I move that the Displacer/Sonic becomes officially known as the SpzKpfw VI "Hammerhead".

How about SpzKpfw VI "Hammerkophai"
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It can't be the Hammerhead, because we'll have something else with that name later and that would just be confusing.

Although what we name this one will probably have an affect on the next model, the PWT Displacer.

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
What about the "SpzKpfw VI: Sonic Ladle"?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Was I sipping a margarita on a sunny beach somewhere these last missions,  or what? =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Was I sipping a margarita on a sunny beach somewhere these last missions,  or what? =)

Pretty much. I'm trying to get the newbies to suck less, so people with 70+ TUs are hanging out on the Triton playing cards.

Fortunately the newbies are coming along rapidly so you'll get back in the action soonish.

A Feddie Story

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Given what we are fighting, careful about those beach vacations.  They could prove quite fatal, considering you don't have your fancy armor and weapons handy when relaxing in the sun...

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ironically, some of those French swimsuits offer better protection than our standard issue gear... even though they are so delectably revealing of ladies' anatomies.  ;7
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
This is due to the combination of Chainmail Bikini and Armor Is Useless.

That DEX bonus is good for something, you know.

It can't be the Hammerhead, because we'll have something else with that name later and that would just be confusing.

Although what we name this one will probably have an affect on the next model, the PWT Displacer.
BAH!  SpzKpfw VI "Tiger Shark".  Has to be Tiger.
Hammerhead will be taken later on, so you win by default.  I claim some small satisfaction though from you using a name that's also used by my source of inspiration. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hah.  I was just combining PzKpfw VI Tiger with dangerous aquatic predator.  Bonus points for actually being a thing.

Well, tiger sharks actually exist.  It just happens Games Workshop took the names for Tau vehicles from aquatic creatures. :P  "Hammerhead" happens to be the name of the Tau's hovering tank with a big cannon, which I figure makes sense for the latest, hovering version of the Spoonzer Elite with a big cannon.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The door to the Triton opens upon a new age. An age of new tanks, new armor, and-hey you asshole! Stop ****ing up my monologue by ineffectively shooting the tank!

The E kills him and the Displacer goes up and over the Triton to check out the other side.

Welp, aliens here too! The_Force gets the one behind the hill, but Spoon misses the guy hiding out in the coral forest.

It turns out the tank scares the crap out of these dudes, since they react to it by turning and moving away. The E and The_Force again kill a couple of aliens.

Now, we get tricky. The E and The_Force head for the doors on the FSC. LordMelvin and deathfun, however, are four stories up. Remember the Fleet Supply Cruiser has a top entrance? They're going in that way. Spoon sends the tank to tag along. BloodEagle, Jack, and MP-Ryan set up to defend the Skyranger, while mxlm runs a close sweep and avoids getting out of line-of-sight.

BlueFlames and Mongoose were supposed to help, but got distracted by the sonar arrays in the back of the Triton.

Now why would they be that? Pretty lights? Well actually it's because some asshole just tried to blow up the Triton. I assume he was trying to kill BloodEagle and his grenade was short, but either way he's going to pay for that.

The Spoonzer VI moves out to spot, and locates two aliens. mxlm killed the near one, but the other goes to the tank as an object lesson in why it's stupid to try and use stun bombs on tanks.

There was a Gillman hanging out in the top entrance area. Emphasis on the “was”. But again spotting in TFTD is wonky and it's still dark up there though LordMelvin could spot and shoot into it. This screen was taken several turns later. (Then Gillman #2 showed up and wrecked it; he went deathfun.)

The E peers into a window. Looks like nobody's home.

Then this asshole has to ruin that impression by shooting at The E while he floats on over to the door. Sure buddy, like that's gonna help. The two of them trade fire again, but both miss. (The Gillman fired at what I'm pretty sure was greater than 45 degree angle off the pointing of his gun.) Oh well, time to find out if this Magnetic Ion Armor really works!

The Gillman didn't cooperate in testing the armor. He shot the UFO while trying to shoot The E, then ran back inside in embarrassment. It ain't gonna help! The E will ensure you just die tired!

Squad 1 sends greetings.

An alien comes up the lift, right next to The_Force, only to have The E blow most of its internal organs out its back with a reaction shot. So much for a stealthy lift ambush.

Okay, so, here. The E can actually only see one alien. He has not yet fired. The one that's still standing shot its buddy in the back trying to fire at him. Why does he still see two? **** if I know. (I think it's a bug.)

And then there were none. (Definitely a bug, The_Force could only see one and when I switched back to E he suddenly saw only one as well.)

Why hello there!

Mission Complete.

Now we're recovering the Cruiser that XenoWatch intercepted. It went down just off the edge of the permanent ice shelf of the Arctic and...

What.

Either we stumbled into a very well preserved sixty-five million year old Gillmen settlement they were checking out again or something is very wrong here.

Well, this guy isn't going to tell us because he's kinda dead now. It was kinda gratuitous to shoot him in the butt, though, The_Force.

He was the only one left alive after the crash. Apparently the temple was some kind of Grecoaztec synthesis. We're hoping to drag one of our captured Gillmen out there and get them to explain this.

Recovering the other FSC is going to have to wait. The Triton was inbound to the crash site when we detected major alien activity on the seafloor not far from our base and it was rerouted. We don't know what they're doing. We know they're not going to get to do it.

A Feddie Story

How do you keep getting Gillmen in you missions? I've still only seen them in terror sites, and even then, not for a while. And I'm jealous that you found one of the ruins maps, those are cool.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
How do you keep getting Gillmen in you missions? I've still only seen them in terror sites, and even then, not for a while. And I'm jealous that you found one of the ruins maps, those are cool.

Dunno, they just launched a bunch of base building missions and I've shot down all the things, so they sent in more. All told an alien base mission usually involves about 7 ships. Hence why we had that run of Lobstermen, as they were trying to set up near our base so we killed them all.

There's an Aquatoid base near Xenowatch that they'll be raiding supply cruisers from probably.

A Feddie Story