Author Topic: Scripted Message Gauge v1.2  (Read 12811 times)

Offline Axem

Scripted Message Gauge v1.2
Yo, updates to this can now be found on my github!

Hidden Text: Old Post • Show
Boy, look at me. I start something new and push stuff like the Journal and System viewer aside (that's still coming real soon!). How evil.

But anyway, something that always annoyed in FreeSpace was the messages. With all the fancy and awesome backgrounds we have these days, the messages gauge keeps getting washed out. Well, I've hopefully found a solution to those problems with this Scripted Message Gauge, made possible by awesome coder m!m!

Look and be amazed!

(Note I was playing around with the positioning here. That's the BP positions, the default in the download is more FS2 like. You're free to change it of course!)

Super easy to install into your mod, just extract the files and that's it. No special activation required! There's some neat stuff for FREDders too, like modifying the draw speed in FRED by adding !s or .s in the message name. See the wiki page for more details.

Thanks to mjn, Spoon, Darius, The E, and swashmebuckle for helping test this and for using it in your mods!

Grab this as part of my 2_HUD! https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91197.0

I'm hoping in a future version, when more hud gauge info is available to lua, I can just grab things like the Font and Position from what is already defined instead of having to specify positions in different areas. Also maybe automatically assigned message beeps and terminations. Please let me know if you have any problems or issues! (I'm hoping I didn't forget anything stupid)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:43:09 am by Axem »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Scripted Message Gauge v1.0
FYI this owns

Offline Lorric

Yeah, this thing got put into BtA and I was blown away when I saw it. :nod:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Impressive! Most Impressive :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
I saw that on your YouTube channel for some time now, but it's released finally! Yay!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
full of ultra-awesome-supercoolnes
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hm. After some testing, Axem, I have some concerns:

There is no queue. When a message is cut off it vanishes. This leaves players unable to review messages except by hitting up the log.

In the BP HUD, the top line of the message overlaps the message sender ID.

Does the message script respect priority? (I suspect it probably does.)

Offline Axem

Yes, there's no backlog. I'm unsure the best route to go with adding a backlog for messages while keeping things readable. Suggestions are welcome!

And also yes there was a change to how lua string are drawn in the nightlies, its a super simple fix that I will be updating very shortly.

Message priority is respected because the script doesn't handle that, the game still does.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My idea for the backlog was to try and recreate the default HUD gauge, but leave out the most recent message. So.. Using scripting to get and draw messages of a particular age. I haven't had time to actually fudge around to try and figure it out yet, though.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Lorric

My idea for the backlog was to try and recreate the default HUD gauge, but leave out the most recent message. So.. Using scripting to get and draw messages of a particular age. I haven't had time to actually fudge around to try and figure it out yet, though.
Do you mean the latest message would appear in Axem's gauge, then when it was replaced by the next one, it would drop to the top of the screen in the same way normal messages display?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, that is my idea. Dunno yet if it's workable.

Offline Lorric

Yes, that is my idea. Dunno yet if it's workable.
Well I'm looking forward to seeing you find out. :)

Offline Axem

I'm thinking what I might do is make a toggle-able back log gauge that shows up at some place. Defaults to like last 2 messages or something. Press Alt-M or something, expands to screen height, press Alt-M again and it'll hide for good.

Anyway script is slightly updated due to mantis 2891 being fixed! See original post for the link.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That would work. Alt-M would need to be customizable, and something somewhere near the messages should probably showhow hint that it should be pressed? I dunno.

Offline Axem

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5nplmsz43d32ip/ScriptedMessagev1.2.rar

Now with a backlog and some other minor fixes (like actually hiding that old message gauge!). Documentation for the features will be on the wiki shortly.

Also note that the gauge does not scale like the rest of the hud, so I apologize if you have giant monitors and the text is still tiny. When TTF support goes in I hope to have some semi-intelligent scaling in that regard.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:53:40 pm by Axem »

This is great for non-voiced campaigns. Just tried it out with Vassago's Dirge and it worked well. Though the version 1.2 I just downloaded doesn't actually hide the old message gauge. Unless I'm misreading something because the old gauge works well as a backlog. Messages don't time out, so I'm guessing this was intended.
Tried it with retail FS2 too just to be sure, same result.
Though it does keep the HUD colour scheme, so It doesn't ruin my artistic 15 colour HUD  :P.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:50:13 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Axem

The backlog looks and acts very similar to the old messages gauge, except messages won't appear on it until the text scrolling is finished, and the messages slowly fade out.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: Scripted Message Gauge v1.2
New version's great.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Scripted Message Gauge v1.2
Yes, yes it is.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Hey. Know it's been forever, but there's a long-running bug with the message script. We at Exile (and other campaigns too) could use a fix.

On longer messages, the message gauge cuts off before the message finishes. I cannot into LUA, so could you possibly extend the default time that a message remains on-screen?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial