Author Topic: The Star Citizen HLP Brigade  (Read 38410 times)

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Re: The Star Citizen HLP Brigade
I might get into it when there is something to really play

Offline Snarks

Sign me up. I have an Aurora. I might be able to get a buddy who has a fancy Idris to hop on too.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/skrans

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Oh it would be cool to coordinate with an Idris. We could get some gunners and a supply run of freelancers going or something.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

In case you didn't notice, the dogfighting module aka Arena Commander has been released today:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13909-Arena-Commander-Launched

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...oooh! And here's me with a day off work, too! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

In case you didn't notice, the dogfighting module aka Arena Commander has been released today:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13909-Arena-Commander-Launched

I actually hand't noticed. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I am downloading it now. 3 GB left.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Re: space sim games dead?
sorry for bringing an old  topic  back  but i guess this is it for most of us playing these old modes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:30:35 pm by aceofbase »

Offline Mikes

Wow.... controls need major major work.
I'm not sure what adjective to use for the opposite of "smooth" as a superlative, but that's it ... erratic hitching and jerking galore. Nothing like what I am used from Freespace.

Otherwise looks great and runs surprisingly well in all it's glory, just not really all that fun to play *yet* imho - not until they rework those controls.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Re: space sim games dead?
There's a relatively large topic on exactly that.  Unless I'm much mistaken, there's also a thread in General Freespace Discussion about this.  I'll make sure this gets put in the right place.

i didnt mean to start a thread i wanted to show my old post .

Offline Aesaar

Mouse controls are really poorly implemented atm.  You're either turning too slow or too fast and are therefore constantly overcorrecting.  I really wish it had Freespace style mouse controls.

Can't for the life of me figure out why people on the RSI forums think mouse controls are overpowered.  Joystick implementation must be even worse.

Offline Mikes

Mouse controls are really poorly implemented atm.  You're either turning too slow or too fast and are therefore constantly overcorrecting.  I really wish it had Freespace style mouse controls.

Can't for the life of me figure out why people on the RSI forums think mouse controls are overpowered.  Joystick implementation must be even worse.

Gamepad is worse....

Stick actually works best imho.

The flight model is really really wierd though, constantly pulling you into this and that direction that you do not want to go, so you constantly have to compensate.

I tried spinning in a perfect circle, pulling the joystick exactly to the left as far as it would go .... the result was not smooth movement at all, but rather some wierd mess of turning speed speeding up and slowing down with bumps and jinks inbetween.

Let's say this makes fighting rather "interesting" but NOT in a fun way .... as your ship constantly decides to add random movement bumps and jinks to your actual input.
With mouse it's worse because it makes your mouse cursor jump all the time! LOL .... and with a gamepad you can just forget about trying to compensate that mess with the tiny thumbstick.

My worry is that instead of a bug.... this could be the much "praised" physics based thruster system at work? If that's really it then well,.... cra*.
In that case we could only hope that they'll fix the crappy gameplay instead of trying to sell it as a "feature".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:13:50 pm by Mikes »

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!

I think that's why they decided to make the mouse controls the way they are. Freespace controls favored the mouse, and lots of the people on the forums were complaining that star citizen controls would favor the mouse as well and wanted their $150+ simulation controls to be competitive.

I used a mouse and keyboard. I agree that I was jerking around a lot to point my ship exactly where I wanted it. I got better with practice though. Still don't feel like I have the hang of it and decoupled mode is downright awful for offensive fire.

I haven't tried joystick controls yet. I don't have reason to believe it would be worse though, It might actually be better.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
wow, those joystick elitists are obnoxious as **** on those forums. I just saw this big thread filled with people going "hurr mice casuals go back to warthunder" "everyone should buy a hotas to play this durr" and so forth.

As for the space flight itself, I gotta mimic what was already said here. The way the ship handles with a mouse is wonky.
Also, I gotta say I'm not actually all that impressed with the supposed super graphical fidelity.  I felt it was far too dark and grey and the cockpit makes it hard to actually see ****. There's some pretty bad noticable cryengine texture pop in too. I'd almost go so far to say that Starconflict is a much nicer looking game.

I of course reserve my judgement for a product that is far more final than this alpha mode. But my first impression is not stellar.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
My problem currently is that if I try to use the mouse I can't control pitch, and if I try to use joystick I can't control yaw. For some reason the default control scheme is buggered and can't be adjusted, so I'm waiting until they make reassigning controls available for us users.

Graphically I like it so far. Runs well enough on my hardware and is aesthetically pleasing.

Gameplay-wise is where I have the biggest concerns. So far I don't see much evidence for being able to actually do newtonian flight, I couldn't find any particular key or control to enable unassisted inertial flight (ie. using RCS to control ship attitude and main thruster to change the velocity vector). They will probably address this in the future since from what I could see, the physics itself is working right - thrusters working in the right directions when you're changing direction or speed -  it's just that all the computer-controlled flight management is stifling the full potential of the spacecraft. Support for head tracking doesn't seem to be working yet either.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mikes

Gameplay-wise is where I have the biggest concerns. So far I don't see much evidence for being able to actually do newtonian flight, I couldn't find any particular key or control to enable unassisted inertial flight (ie. using RCS to control ship attitude and main thruster to change the velocity vector). They will probably address this in the future since from what I could see, the physics itself is working right - thrusters working in the right directions when you're changing direction or speed -  it's just that all the computer-controlled flight management is stifling the full potential of the spacecraft. Support for head tracking doesn't seem to be working yet either.

What I am beginning to wonder is whether a "physics based" thruster setup with "FCS" to make up for it's "shortcomings" "somewhat"  is such a stellar idea "gameplaywise".

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
If you hate the default control style (like I do), try pressing CTRL+F to enable Relative Mode. It works almost like Freespace then!

wow, those joystick elitists are obnoxious as **** on those forums. I just saw this big thread filled with people going "hurr mice casuals go back to warthunder" "everyone should buy a hotas to play this durr" and so forth.

I fully agree. The joystick elitists need to realise that SC is a futuristic space craft game, not airplanes game. It does not break my immersion at all to use mouse to control the ship, because I dont believe that we would control 30th century space crafts with joysticks, a method designed to control 20th century airplanes. In fact, something like advanced mouse is far more likely IMO. Its funny how they admit that mouse is superior to joysticks, then backpedal when you ask them why then use inferior control methods in future space crafts...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:00:30 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

That comment flies in the face of what the game is telling us right before our eyes with the pilot using a joystick to control his ship.

I also didn't like the huge visual space that is wasted on the cockpit. This is a barrier to our kynetic senses. Not only we have a visual window that is the monitor of the PC already in place, now we have to deal with "another window" that occupies more than 40% of the screen on ... nothing remotely important.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also didn't like the huge visual space that is wasted on the cockpit. This is a barrier to our kynetic senses. Not only we have a visual window that is the monitor of the PC already in place, now we have to deal with "another window" that occupies more than 40% of the screen on ... nothing remotely important.
The cockpit is much less intrusive in the 300i compared to the Hornet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.