Author Topic: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions  (Read 172849 times)

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
FSDoc Updates/Suggestions
Thanks for all the suggestions,ill begin work tomorrow afternoon on this and we will see where it takes us.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
One more thing...an FAQ with questions that are REALLY asked too much. FS3, the usual bugs and such. This is the current bugs section of the FAQ.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd never noticed that there even was a FAQ before. It really should be more prominent on the page and should act as something of an index.

Do that and I can retire my own FAQ.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The SCP FAQ is something I started on before we went onto the great manual.

Someone should really work through all the pages and look at the stuf I already got from the readme, and see if there is anything not outdated yet. Half of the stuff is just a stub anyway.

BTW, Lonestar, can we get {{ msg: stub}} (minus the spaces) like in Wikipedia, plus a page with a stublist?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Im not entirely familiar with Wikipedia, however any option can be added with some work. I may also try something different, Ill be looking over the information and request more closely tomorrow and begin coding. if it does get to hard to modify the current code i will introduce some of my own and add all requested materials.

Ill also try and familiarize myself with the Wikipedia tonight to gain an understanding of your request.
I will make it a one stop shop for FS Faqs and definitions.

My ICQ number is in my profile, hook up with me tomorrow on IM to see whats up.

I meant some easy boilerplates, adding code for a "stub message" saying something like:

"This article is a stub (link explaing stubs), you can help the HLPWiki by editing it. (Link to "edit this article)."

And the code adds the article to a listing of all stubs, and when the message is removed, it drops from the list.

Some of the same idea could be used for canon/non-canon code, though I'd prefer font changes there.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Oh yes, something else I'd like, "talk pages". Every page has a talk page, called talk:pagename. It's a place to discuss that specific page, where everybody edits it to leave a message. Easier then just throwing it all at the bottom of the page, as we do now. Neater, too.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Great initiative, folks. Front page. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions guys we got all this week to continue discussions while i update the wiki so dont be shy!.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Suggestions
  • Compatibility across browsers: I saw some tables going off the page earlier.
  • Different color scheme: Even though its on the HLP network I see the WIKI as a separate project just like the SCP is and some light red colors also don't contrast well on the current one.
  • Less items in bold: I fail to see the point of putting every link in bold
  • Front page: Have items that are recent with a 'new icon' next to them, for example ones that have been updated within the past 7 days or something or even different colors to show that its recently updated or added.
SCP: However much I like the idea of the WIKI, its a total disaster with the SCP documentation and any related updates (eg. Media VP) or enhancements (nebulas, thrusters, etc) that change constantly. I think it would be in the best interest of all parties involved that the version-specific and basic user documentation is provided in another format such as rtf/pdf/htm. This could be provided with the SCP downloads and perhaps have minor updates along the way. Not only will this solve much confusion on the SCP but it would also solve other issues such as not having to be online to view documentation.

I have more but I thought I'd posted later once I've seen some updates. :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Xelion
SCP: However much I like the idea of the WIKI, its a total disaster with the SCP documentation and any related updates (eg. Media VP)

That section appears to be up to date actually.

Originally posted by Xelion
I think it would be in the best interest of all parties involved that the version-specific and basic user documentation is provided in another format such as rtf/pdf/htm. This could be provided with the SCP downloads and perhaps have minor updates along the way. Not only will this solve much confusion on the SCP but it would also solve other issues such as not having to be online to view documentation.

That's not a bad idea but once the wiki issues are sorted the info can be culled from the Wiki. If you've ever tried to keep any SCP stuff up to date you'll soon see what an absolute nightmare it is to not slip behind.
 Taking the info from the wiki would mean that there was only one set of data that needed any serious amount of human interaction to keep up to date.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
I would like to see a fast link to DL the latest of everything.  It took me quite a while last night to find everything.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There was a latest version of everything page but unfortunately it's not updated often (unless someone has taken it over).

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Work has been done all week on the FSDoc with these changes in mind, however with all the requests its going to take another week to complete.

Ill be posting some updates on Monday and next Friday, by which time it should be completed. Continue to send in suggestions as i will go over this post frequently.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Given the stuff that's been kicked up with real ram usage now that the leak itself is fixed, I reckon it'd be cool to have a reccomended settings page for FSO, based on amount of RAM, to keep the game playable, but maximize graphical goodness for those who can get it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
how do I actually edit hte pages on the wiki? I dont seem to have an account to do so..
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It really isn't that hard to update things to keep up with the SCP section. If there was a group willing to write a page a day from scratch, they could keep up with the SCP pretty well. A lot of times when a new feature is released the coder in question supplies support info or even examples for it; all the wiki writers need to do is polish it up for the documentation.

Alas, it seems more like updates are more on the scale of a paragraph a week.

Singh: you don't need an account, just enter a username and password and sign in. Or maybe just a username.

It does have to be a proper Wiki name, which is (dumbly enough) a word that is broken up into two sections by a capital. Like, WmCoolmon instead of WMCoolmon.

You might be able to get away with spaces or hack 'em in with a %20, I haven't tried though.

Edit:
Originally posted by karajorma

That section appears to be up to date actually.

Hey, someone actually reads it. :D

Right now it's only missing the mVP lite.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:29:48 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
It really isn't that hard to update things to keep up with the SCP section. If there was a group willing to write a page a day from scratch, they could keep up with the SCP pretty well. A lot of times when a new feature is released the coder in question supplies support info or even examples for it; all the wiki writers need to do is polish it up for the documentation.

Alas, it seems more like updates are more on the scale of a paragraph a week.

Singh: you don't need an account, just enter a username and password and sign in. Or maybe just a username.

It does have to be a proper Wiki name, which is (dumbly enough) a word that is broken up into two sections by a capital. Like, WmCoolmon instead of WMCoolmon.

You might be able to get away with spaces or hack 'em in with a %20, I haven't tried though.

Edit:

Hey, someone actually reads it. :D

Right now it's only missing the mVP lite.

K. I managed to login. I've got around 15-16 hours to go on my duty, and this is pretty much the onyl thing I can do, so guess i'll be updating like crazy :P

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
15-16 hours? Is that one shift? :shaking:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Setekh
15-16 hours? Is that one shift? :shaking:

No. 24 hour duty clerk. Nothing much, really, but its stay-in.