Author Topic: alright, HTL Herc LOD0 == done  (Read 22961 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
alright, HTL Herc LOD0 == done
Originally posted by quadrophoeniX
Wowww! Bob comes down the chimney... Hey, but wait - where are those shadows?? ;) ;) ;)

Puts on a beard and swiftly strokes it *the issue is so old, so oft visited....

The shadow build was merely a test to see if the thing could be implemented - on the other hand it was an extreme resource drain, and hackish so it would never make it to CVS in the form it was - currently the team works on more pressing matters that will allow a better implementation.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it'll take me more than a month to get shadows working properly, at the very least, and thats once I start working on it, I want to do stuff that is't just generic eyecandy for a while (like the nearly complete animation system)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Sorry if I was confusing...  I thought 3 smileys should be enough to point out it was not meant dead serious. As much as I liked to play FSport and ST with that build (it worked fine for me and I am actually still toggling between 365 and stencilshadows) and see future impleme.ntation, I understood clear from Goober and Bobboau that it is not on the to-do list right now due to several reasons... I will behave myself in the future (as good as i can) and post no more stupid jokes...
essence: this Herc is fantastic!

I think shinemaps + stencil shadows is unrealistic, because you have already shadows with shinemaps and shadows + darker shadows is unrealistic, IMO.

And the herc is superb :yes:
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Err... shadows aren't cast, though, with shinemaps.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I meant where no shines are, is shadow.
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Not really, where no shines are, is devoid of light.

Shadows would be what my fighter casted on the Colossus in that thread Bob made.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
And that's ignoring the fact that you can have shadows in shadows, too :p
SCREW CANON!

Yes, but they have the same intensity so you can't see any difference between the shadows. At least shadows casted by one lightsource (the sun).
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's the dynamism that's important with shadows.... yeah, it's nice having accurate shadows (drawn on maps) from the ships turrets etc etc, but it's the sight of a Sathani or Collosus' shadow slowly drawing across the surface of an Arcadia that has real impact.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Overlord
Yes, but they have the same intensity so you can't see any difference between the shadows. At least shadows casted by one lightsource (the sun).

No, that's like completly wrong? Not like I even feel like explaining, just look up at light refraction and similar stuff, and learn by yourself.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Yeah, I know I'm late, but I finally got around to download the model and chex0r it out :)

Except for one minor detail and one huge problem the model really, really is amazing. It's absolutely beautiful the way you worked in all the pwetty detail. And you're the first person to my knowledge to get the cockpit to work correctly, which is another bonus :yes: :nod:

For the model itself, I would've preferred if the little pipes on the engine pods (in the recessed part) wouldn't be modelled in, but only textured. It's a bit of a waste of polies and it would look more detailed(!) if it'd be textured in. However, that's only the minor problem.

The rather unpleasant thing is the textures. It is unclear to me why you preferred to go with a completely new UVmapping when the original one did a rather good job. On your last version of the hi-poly Herc it was almost perfect already (save the few stretching issues), so why throw it overboard and go with a worse UVmap? This is the only real problem with this model. I can see why you added the second (cockpit) texture thingy, and that's fine, but changing the base texture IMHO wasn't a very good idea.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
because its better now!
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase (more than) half the texture was waisted with the origonal UV map.

now granted the UV map I gave it wasn't perfict but it was quite a bit better than the origonal.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
And in your version, parts of it get reused/mirrored all over the ship instead of having individual texturing like they used to.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah it's more efecent
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Could you at least whack together an optional one with the original mapping? :(

Sorry for bumping this thread up, but ive got a problem with this herc. I just copied the files from the zip-file "D:\Gamez\Vollversionen\Freespace2\data\models" and run the game. But the only thing i see is the engine glow, nothing from the fighter. Im using standard SCP 3.6.5, the latest official build. Any hints or tips?

Thanx!:nervous: :wtf:
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Seems you are either lacking the map files, or you are not enabling the  jpg and tga maps in the launcher.

Well i got one pof-file, nine tga's and three pcx-files in the zip ive downloaded and everything should be in the right folder.
JPG and TGA textures are enabled in my launcher, only 32bit-textures is disabled, cause i got white texture squares in menus then.
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!